Author Topic: The Future Direction of Aussie Pinball  (Read 34150 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: The Future Direction of Aussie Pinball
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2013, 11:28:09 AM »
Back on topic

What we DO KNOW, is several members have decided to leave AP, or not contribute as actively as they did in the past. We want to know if it is because of the forum direction - which for the last 2 years, has changed. Maybe the Forum has not changed with the times ? The software is circa 2008 ! Maybe this forum DICTATED the hobby for a while, but that is no longer the case ?

I sure hope those members that are still floating around discuss this, I have talked to a couple but wont go into their reasons so I dont incriminate anyone here

What has not changed is the forum Software. This is now a MASSIVE undertaking that has to be outsourced. There are technical challenges ahead that have risks associated and costs involved. Is it worth it if members are leaving or don't want to participate ?

I dont find this an issue, it works, not worth the trouble of updating, unless there are real tangible benifits.  Especially if members are leaving

Then there is my obvious "conflict of interest" - as one of the originators of AP, as the biggest spammer on AP, as a Commercial Business on AP. Is this "arrangement" affecting AP ? Is it time for me to move on ? As some are aware, the hours Nick and I put into the running of the site are massive.

I don't have a problem with this, other forums have people running businesses inside, we are not getting bombarded by advertisement of your business, other people also run businesses inside the forum, and all are free to advertise a website link on our home page for free, something that you have not even done.  I see you always supporting people to have a go themselves, never have you suggested they send it to you so you can profit from an issue they have.

Is this worth the effort - Should we just forget about it and shut shop. Is the site redundant ?

It is definately worth the effort, I think despite a few of our differences we can all get something out of this site

Are people still enjoying AP as they did 2 - 3 years ago. Should we go back to our roots ?

Honestly I am not enjoying the site as much as I did 4-5 years ago, it would be nice to go back to our roots, but I can't see how that would be possible, as it would alienate some people

Should we be investing MORE sections into the NEW manufacturers / Stern / JJP ?

Definately not, there is plenty of info out there for the new guys, sure single threads on discussions about new games is fine, but this is a restorers site, I find bombardment of all things Stern a real turn off

Aussie Pinball is still good but it was great.