Author Topic: The Future Direction of Aussie Pinball  (Read 34154 times)

Offline Pauly540

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
Re: The Future Direction of Aussie Pinball
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2013, 10:59:05 PM »
I can’t help myself; I have to speak up for all the novices, like myself. Sorry for the rant!
Being a 40+ Englishman (no pins where I grew up), I stumbled across pinball only a couple of years ago. Buying my first EM pin, I spent many hours googling for pointers on repairs, most were from American web sites, but then I stumbled across AP. Going back through old posts late as 2008, I learnt heaps and finally got her working.
I don’t remember all the names of the member’s posts, but reading through the treads, these members answered many (maybe stupid novice) questions with help and assistance, as far as I know, that was the whole point of having a forum, to help and assist others passionate about this hobby.
Working on Poker machines for the last 20+ years (board jockey in the early days), I finally learnt to diagnose common faults (sometimes as simple as a 20 cent component  replacement)  and then made sure, all the other technicians were notified of these simple ‘on-site’ component changes, would not turn them into ‘board jockeys’). Passing on knowledge!  If certain members with many years of pinball knowledge are leaving, this will be a hugh loss and can I ask, if they are not contributing knowledge anymore, how are we novices going to learn and bring back to life a pin 30+ years old? Please don’t take that knowledge to your grave!
Website software upgrades. I know nothing, so I won’t comment. I fully understand this site has to be funded somehow! I still don’t understand how posts with images can be made onto severs (storage) and who pays for this? It’s a pig of a job posting pic’s sometimes, but persistence prevails.  I’m happy with the current layout. I just click on the relevant topics I’m searching for. Discussions on new pinball’s, I just ignore sometimes, as I have no chance of every owning one, but is sometimes an interesting to read.
Don’t spit on your screen, but I am also a member on AA and the only option to upload many (200kb+) images, is to make a donation. I instantly made my donation, as I wanted to share any knowledge I might have learnt. Great info on AA, but I prefer AP, as I am only into Pinball.
Maybe you should, follow this line, even if every member makes a $5 donation once a year, pittance.
Now a perfect example of someone sharing knowledge. Tonight I posted a question on GTB SYS80 PSU and Homepin (Yes I know he is a sponsor) replied within 15 mins, with an answer. He never asked that I send him the board for repair; he pointed me in the right direction with his knowledge.
Hope everyone reading this, (especially the ones with the negative comments) remembers there is a new batch of younger (40+  ^&^) members would be lost without the wealth of information on this site.
That’s my 1 pence worth.
Cheers,
Paul.