Author Topic: Possum Party Zone  (Read 1557 times)

Thasaman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Possum Party Zone
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »

Man, starting to wonder if this really is the same machine you started with.

That is excellent! You have a talent. Well done and keep up the posts.

Offline Dikfeld

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 02:03:46 AM »
Looks amazing! Can't wait to see the updates!

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 04:08:35 PM »
Pretty much fast forward to the end now.  With a few of these under my belt, it gets easier every time.  I do not bother labelling any stuff as the wiring loom is fairly self explanatory (although i do label all the plugs to the boards in the backbox).  Plus, all the photos i take along the way are reference for the order that things go back together.

So pretty much dropped all the cleaned cabinet hardware in. Replaced the line filter as these are prone to going in an old machine that has been stored for sometime. Had to replace some drive transistors on the power driver board, put a remote battery pack on the CPU board, check all the fuses and had to do quite a bit of work on the sound board.  Once i put the headbox on i fired the machine up with no playfield and it booted fine..... well after about 2 hours of stressing and swapping components it did.  I ended up misplacing one of the ribbon cables (the smaller one that goes between CPU and DMD driver board), and as it turns out the machine will not boot if the larger one is connected and the smaller one is not!  Anyway, was all good once i replaced it.

Stripped the playfield, and again my dad helped clean all the plastics, posts etc while i gave the playfield a clean up and polish.  Rebuilt the flippers and replaced the plunger and links with the newer style springs. These early non fliptronics flippers were a bit dodgy with the spring over the plunger, and with the newer return spring on the tab on the end work a whole lot better.  LEDs were put throughout the whole machine, a new 'cosmic cottage' was ordered and installed.  Then i dropped the clean playfield in, tidied up a few cables, printed out a few new warning and fuse description stickers and it was pretty much done.  Also has a new lockdown bar, new legs and repainted coin door, a very good 2nd hand translite was also purchased thanks to another forum member as the original was pretty nasty. No real issues apart from a few switches needing minor adjustment, and it is quite a fun game. The ramps are great, and being able to select a song during the game is cool as well. Anyway a few pics

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 04:53:31 PM »
That's one very nice PZ well done :-)

Peter

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »
That looks great. Well done.  @@*

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »
Looks horrible!
I think it would be better in MY HOUSE  next to Dr Dude #@#
Great game and a greater save from the scrap heap.
What happened to the possum? Where does the poor little bugger live now?
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »
thats awesome Rob, where do you find the time
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »
Holy cow Bud, that's a Fantastic effort, Work satisfaction at its Best,  ^^^

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 08:43:31 PM »
Very nice rob, the colours look amazing, are you adding this sys 11 to your collection?
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 09:07:12 PM »
This one won't be staying for long, a guy who previously bought a machine spied it in the shed and requested that it be put on the priority list as he had been chasing one for ages.  Realistically, its a fun game, but probably a bit too easy for my liking.  That said, i do like a couple of the ideas in the game, and the 4 'way out of control' targets and then the shot to collect the award from them is very good.  I also think the ramps are fantastic, very slim and with loops in them which is a great effect, but without large ramps interfering with the view of the ball most of the time.   I'll play it for a few weeks to make sure there are no problems, then move it on to the guy who wants it.

Also, forgot to add - the chrome strips at the top of the headbox i managed to get from supercheap auto it is D10 wheel arch moulding on this website http://www.haigh.com.au/index.php?op...&CategoryID=64. The original is 12mm, but you would be hard pressed to notice the difference when its all new.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »
Awesome work again, I love reading your threads. It's great to see pins being rescued from the scrap heap!

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
Nice work  ^^^

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 10:45:40 PM »
Awesome restoration, wish i had a talent like that ^^^
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline noj472

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
Excellent work Rob. You make it look so darn easy! !
Whats the next one in line?

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 08:12:31 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. As for next in line, not sure yet. One thing i would like to do is document one of the rebuilds on video.

As for talent, well i think its just more that you are doing something you enjoy so you try to do a good job of it. Nothing i do is particularly difficult, just takes time, patience and some attention to detail.