Author Topic: Stargate Legs  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Dikfeld

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Stargate Legs
« on: May 28, 2013, 08:10:44 PM »
Hi guys!

New to the site! I'm currently restoring my 1995 Gottlieb Stargate Machine but i'm stuck when trying to workout what legs to buy. I have measured the current legs at 31 Inches, they are really battered and definitely need replacing. I have looked through the manual but can't find anywhere that tell me whether 31 Inch legs are what it came with from the factory or whether it should have 27 inch legs.

I've contacted http://www.marcospecialties.com/ and they sent me this link (http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/D-4337) to a set of 27 inch legs and said that they would be suitable. They also have a set of 31 Inch legs (http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/D-3768) but i'm not sure which ones I should buy and whether they will fit. I also found the 31 Inch set on an Aussie website (http://www.pinball.co/Products/29999-leg-31ca.aspx) but it might even work out cheaper coming from the US...

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

I've got a lot of work to do, but want to start on the structural parts first before getting onto the internals!

Cheers!

Richard

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Re: Stargate Legs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 08:18:22 PM »
Try Strangeways on here.  He did have a heap of brand new Gottlieb legs and will be cheaper than O/S...
 I did know someone who had a pretty good playfield for a Stargate...

Offline Dikfeld

• Forum Posts:
Re: Stargate Legs
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »
Cheers i'll give him a PM. The Playfield is in reasonable condition so wont be needing a new one, just have to clean everything up and replace a few things. I'll pot some pics and then progress pics as I go along.

Only real problem I have is that there is some water damage to the base/bottom piece of wood right at the front. I am thinking about trying to fix it but don't know if I have the woodwork skills to get it done. I might be able to get away with leaving it alone, i'll post some pics and let me know what you think guys.

Cheers,

Richard

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »
i have 2gottlieb of the same era and they are 27" dont buy overseas.cost heaps for postage
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:51:05 PM »
Cheers i'll give him a PM. The Playfield is in reasonable condition so wont be needing a new one, just have to clean everything up and replace a few things. I'll pot some pics and then progress pics as I go along.

Only real problem I have is that there is some water damage to the base/bottom piece of wood right at the front. I am thinking about trying to fix it but don't know if I have the woodwork skills to get it done. I might be able to get away with leaving it alone, i'll post some pics and let me know what you think guys.

Cheers,

Richard

If its the actual bottom of the cabinet (ie floor) where speaker sits etc, they can be replaced but needs a bit of work / fiddling.  If its the coin door piece, again can be done, but Stargate's are screened onto the wood so no cabinet decals available.

There is a business in Geelong (El_Timbo) on here who is doing brand new cabinets for WPC/Bally games.  Depending on how far you want to go with the restoration that is a high end option.  Best of luck with the resto and post lots of pics as they are always an enjoyable read.

Offline Dikfeld

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
Yeah its the floor of the cabinet that needs replacing. I think I could do it, just requires quite a lot of fiddling. I've sent and message to Strangeways about maybe even getting it refurbished professionally. Only problem is I'm in Perth and I'm not too sure how much money I will be spending on just freight alone... Getting it done professionally will definitely be worth it though. Anybody know of any reliable professional Pinball Restorers in Perth?

Thanks Studley67, I assume that maybe the legs it currently has aren't the correct ones. I'll look into getting the 27 Inch ones.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
 %)%

Offline Sgtmax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »
Hey mate
Iv got the same problem on my Tom the base where the cabinet sits half of it is water damaged so don't exactly now how to fix that either.. Will be interested to see how you go about it

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 12:38:39 AM »
Yeah its the floor of the cabinet that needs replacing. I think I could do it, just requires quite a lot of fiddling. I've sent and message to Strangeways about maybe even getting it refurbished professionally. Only problem is I'm in Perth and I'm not too sure how much money I will be spending on just freight alone... Getting it done professionally will definitely be worth it though. Anybody know of any reliable professional Pinball Restorers in Perth?

Thanks Studley67, I assume that maybe the legs it currently has aren't the correct ones. I'll look into getting the 27 Inch ones.

There are a few guys on here from Perth that would be able to help you out ir even do that job for you. Freight to Melbourne just for the base is an expensive proposition.

I'm fairly sure the 31 inch legs for Stargate are unique to SYS3 as they are ribbed like SYS 11 Williams legs (ribbing is short). Your only solution is a set of GTB 31 inch NON Ribbed legs that can be found here ;

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=9229.0

Best to check the manual first to determine that they are in fact 31 inch, but most SYS 3 Gottliebs I've seen are 31 inch.

.. and  %)% to Aussie Pinball !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Dikfeld

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 02:59:12 AM »

There are a few guys on here from Perth that would be able to help you out ir even do that job for you. Freight to Melbourne just for the base is an expensive proposition.

I'm fairly sure the 31 inch legs for Stargate are unique to SYS3 as they are ribbed like SYS 11 Williams legs (ribbing is short). Your only solution is a set of GTB 31 inch NON Ribbed legs that can be found here ;

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=9229.0

Best to check the manual first to determine that they are in fact 31 inch, but most SYS 3 Gottliebs I've seen are 31 inch.

.. and  %)% to Aussie Pinball !

Legend! Thanks for the info! They are definitely 31 inches and have that short ribbing. Ill get onto getting a set of 31s then. Ill post some pics tomorrow for anyone who is interested and show what progress I can make!

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »
had to double check mine.i have cueball wizard and sf2 and they are 27" ^&^
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:58:55 PM »

SF2 has the correct sized legs - that is 100%.

I guess the manual for the Stargate needs to be checked - has anyone got a Stargate they can measure ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Dikfeld

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 02:14:17 AM »

SF2 has the correct sized legs - that is 100%.

I guess the manual for the Stargate needs to be checked - has anyone got a Stargate they can measure ?

I've checked the manual I have for it but I can't seem to find any info on the Leg size... I may have just skipped over it though. But I do have the old legs still and as you said they are definitely 31 inches and have that short ribbing at the top. Definitely need replacing though, they are covered in rust and very wonky!

I've attached a link to some pics if anyone is interested (Not the best pics as well, on my makeshift esky stand lol). As you can see the body is not in the greatest condition. The Bottom panel probably needs replacing, its structurally fine but yeah if I rub my hand underneath the wood flakes off... The cabinet in general is structurally sound, just quite battered as you can see from the pictures.

Side rails are all rusted up but should be able to clean them up with some steel wool. I've tried looking for some replacements online but no real luck, the responses I have received have just told me it would be easier and cheaper to try clean them up myself. I'm not expert but I think the playfield is in reasonable condition... Hopefully with a good clean and polish it should come up pretty nice. All the gold coloured metal rails need to be removed and cleaned up as they have some light rust on them. The only broken piece is the plastic you can see in the picture but pbresource actually has one in stock!

The game itself actually works quite well. The only part that stopped working ages ago was the glider craft coming out of the pyramid. I have been doing a lot of research on what I should be replacing but if anyone can give me anymore information or links to what I should be replacing ie. all the coils, flipper assembly etc. that would be great.

http://imgur.com/a/glvKx

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 03:46:05 AM »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pinball-rails-/181146905184?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item2a2d326a60&_uhb=1

Here's a set of sys3 rails I've got on the bay at the moment.

Pretty sure my stargate has 31 inch legs.
It's easy to tell as the bolt holes are up a lot higher on the front of the cabinet than standard.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 08:50:53 AM »

The game itself actually works quite well. The only part that stopped working ages ago was the glider craft coming out of the pyramid.

The Pyramid is held open by a coil very similar to a flipper coil A-31272 - high and low power windings so that it can be held in the up position without the coil burning out.

If that coil fails (and it did on mine, so perhaps not uncommon), the glider craft will not work.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”