Author Topic: Hankin Cocktail Clone  (Read 44465 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Hankin Cocktail Clone
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:51:48 PM »
I recently received some of the material to make a Hankin clone from my friend Chippy who passed away in March, he had completed making a machine himself, but had cut material and gathered some of the equipment for two machines, so he gave me all the timber and glass, LCD monitor, piano hinge and a jamma harness.

Before I go on this is not my design,  I am copying someone’s design, who copied someone else’s, who copied Hankins original design  #@# After a fair bit of research looking at pictures, I thought it was the neatest look which is somewhat faithful to the original.

I started by making a template for the side ‘wings’ so I had a guide for the router to follow.  With a bit of help from a mate who supplied his router and talent, we then cut and routed them and used a 1.2mm slot cutter for the T-moulding.

Then cut the shape for the top, routed the bevel for the outside of the monitor, routed a rebate for the monitor to sit into, then cut the T-mould slots

Then cut some air vents into one side panel with the router and cut the T-mould slots into both side panels.

I welded up some legs for the cab, before welding I drilled the mounting holes in the milling machine so they are indexed the correct distance and are parallel through the RHS. I welded small nuts into the legs to mount the leg levelers.

I then started assembly, cut some speaker holes and a fan hole,

Test mounted legs, hinges, coin mech and lock.  I used a lot of screws for the wings as that is where they are usually picked up from when moving and the cab is surprisingly heavy.

Now ready for paint  *%*

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Hankin Cocktail Clone
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
Good one Matt. What kind of game, board you planning on putting in? Also are putting any graphics on it?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »
I'm planning on installing an ArcadeSD board, they have been out for a year or so, and were made by some guys who are well regarded in the arcade world, they recreate the games as faithfully as possible to the originals and update the board every three months, updating is as easy as installing the update with the ROMs which are inserted into the board via an SD card.  They apparently are far superior to the Chinese 60-in-1 boards, no lag, correct sounds and the ability to save hi-scores etc.
http://www.phoenixarcade.com/ArcadeSD.htm

I am going to paint the cab black, use woodgrain vinyl on the top and wings, with only minimal graphics, just a Hankin logo and price card.

Offline Blktgr74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:09:28 PM »
Looks great and will be worth all the effort once you have your first game on it. Any chance of a copy of the plans? I've built an up right cab and would like to tackle a cocktail next.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 11:21:28 PM »
good on you matt, nice work so far

here is a good link for graphics, button templates and some cabinet designs to help you or others. Check out pacman for example, heaps of illustrator art to uterlise under the glass
http://vectorlib.free.fr
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:23:33 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:25:22 PM »
Looks great and will be worth all the effort once you have your first game on it. Any chance of a copy of the plans? I've built an up right cab and would like to tackle a cocktail next.

Sure, here they are, I did not draw these up, the writing in the black is the correct dimensions
My friend with the router is also a guru on CAD and drew up the wings and top, I'll try to find those drawings and post them as a PDF

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:27:40 PM by ktm450 »

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 11:31:22 PM »
good on you matt, nice work so far

here is a good link for graphics, button templates and some cabinet designs to help you or others. Check out pacman for example, heaps of illustrator art to uterlise under the glass
http://vectorlib.free.fr

That is a great resource Jady, thanks for posting,

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 11:41:35 PM »

Sure, here they are, I did not draw these up, the writing in the black is the correct dimensions
My friend with the router is also a guru on CAD and drew up the wings and top, I'll try to find those drawings and post them as a PDF
thank you

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 11:45:39 PM »
Looking good Matt can't beat the original Hankin design the sure got it right

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 11:59:39 PM »
Looking good Matt can't beat the original Hankin design the sure got it right

They definitely have a bit more leg room and the controls at a better angle, the only thing I will change, is to offset the joystick to the left a bit, having the joystick directly in the middle of the control panel feels a bit uncomfortable to me as you sort of have to angle yourself around a little instead of sitting straight on to the machine

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 12:44:37 AM »

Nice work Matt, and another great tribute to your mate.

I had one of these originals years ago, wish I'd hung onto it.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 08:30:24 AM »
Looking good so far  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 10:19:30 AM »

Nice work Matt, and another great tribute to your mate.

I had one of these originals years ago, wish I'd hung onto it.

I would love an original but I could never justify buying one as I am far more passionate about pinball. So when I was given most of the material I got motivated to create a copy. I was also given a large upright machine that I may one day convert to MAME but it is in pretty bad condition and will take a lot of work. I'll see how much use this gets before I get too serious about the upright

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »
Folded up some control panels at work

Punched out some holes and test mounted

Almost ready to send the control panels and the legs to the powdercoaters  *%*

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 05:48:20 PM »

Clever stuff Matt!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”