Author Topic: GOTTLIEB JUNGLE PRINCESS (FIRST EVER PINBALL)  (Read 1741 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
GOTTLIEB JUNGLE PRINCESS (FIRST EVER PINBALL)
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:24:10 PM »
Hi Again
            Well we have made it to my pride and joy.  A gottlieb Jungle Princess this was the one that got ,e hooked to anything coin operated.  Back when i was 13 i was at a new years eve party and notice this shape under a black plastic tarp. instantly new what it was and asked my mate about it. He said they had had it forever and he smashed the glass on it and his dad cracked the shits and dumped it under the tarp in the shed that was year ago.  I wanted him to ask his dad if he wanted to sell it but it never happened so i went around one day and asked his dad.  To my supprise he said its mine for $40 and he will deliver it. Couldnt believe my luck. On the day he was delivering it i got a phonecall that made me almost cry.
  !!!  UMMMM daniel ive got some bad news we dropped the pinball off the back of the ute and its stuffed.  But if you still want it you can have it for $20 petrol money.  Oh alright  !!!   

So out it came still on its legs one rope over the top and the head box smashed on a 45 degree angle with out the back glass even smashed Stuff nows how but i was wrapped. Handed over the $20 and started working. But on a good note when he dropped it most of the smashed glass fell onto the road so saved me work in a way.  Sadly this was before digital camera so i didnt get any pics of it stuffed. 

Once i got it open i found a few burnt coils and a heap of contacts out of there relay arm thingy.  Back then there was no ebay no internet and nothing advertised to buy pinball parts but i knew of a really old shed in the mall that had pinball repairs written on the wall the number was really old and no longer conected but you could see the door got opened occasionally so i wagged school atleast once a day for a walk past  hoping to catch someone there.

That Day arrived and i nervously approached the guy there who was reclothing a pooltable.  And it was then i met my idol Michael.  He didnt have the parts i needed but said he was sure he could get them for me so i followed him around for the day. swapped numbers and wagged even more to go with him on callouts and collects ( I called ti work experience).   He got me the coils i needed and gave me new rubbers and heaps of other parts for helping him and he showed me how to fix pinballs video games and even jukeboxes. When i turned 18 and got my license he even got me to do some jukebox deliveries and pick ups and some on call work.  I remember on trip down to the arcade in lorne which was ownded by his boss and fixing some machine then having to test them for hours how cool was that Missing school to play arcade games and stuff.  I still remember the Backboxes hung around the walls thats why i have started hanging them around my walls.

Well enough Dribble here are some pics

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: GOTTLIEB JUNGLE PRINCESS (FIRST EVER PINBALL)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:28:21 PM »
Everything that i could replace new i did cost me a bloody fortune compared to what i earned at the time.  New Posts, Flippers, acorn nuts, rubbers, ball, plunger springs, popbumper bodies skirts and caps,  Only thing i didnt replace was the Monkey Drop targets a guy was going to get em for me but never eventuated. Reminds me i must do them one day.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
here is the lower section

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:36:57 PM »
and more

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:17:08 PM »
Looks good. Great story about how you got it and how you got parts to fix it!

I take it this is fairly fun to play as it has a decent rating over at ipdb.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:55:45 PM »
WOW that playfield is in just AWESOME condition.. looks great  ^^^  do you still own this one?

I used to play one of these years ago in Lake Cathie (near Port Macquarie, midnorth coast NSW), and from what i can remember it was great fun to play, but the playfield was badly worn, no where near as good as this one of yours.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 11:36:59 PM »
What a great story, thanks heaps for sharing, what a wonderful way to get into pins.

Is Michael's surname Driscoll?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 11:44:39 PM »
No michael wasnt a driscoll but thats who he worked for his name was woodford

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 11:46:39 PM »
And yes i still own this machine. From day one i said id never sell it. The playfield is in excellent condition and so is the backglass only problem is the head box i never got around to finishing it properly and it has no artwork on it but ill do that one day. ive got plenty of time coz its not going anywhere

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 10:44:17 AM »
Top Story Daniel.  ^^^
I really enjoyed  it. Must say also that I am truly inspired by your fantastic resto work , and great to see a young bloke (19 yrs younger than me anyway) saving and enjoying all these old games.
I'm finding myself getting more and more into them too and now chasing older and older games (my oldest now is a 1972 Spanish Eyes, next week I pick up a 1968 Lady Luck).
Keep up the great work  ^^^

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »
cool story daniel  *%*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »

Fantastic story and Pinball Daniel  @@*

I really appreciate and enjoy your resto threads mate !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 08:52:02 PM »
Thanks Nino im glad you enjoy them.  But sadly im running out only have about 5 or so left to put on id better hurry and get some more pins

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 09:37:41 PM »
Excellent read Daniel, brings a tear to my eye  :lol

That is one clean game - and an awesome one all round - looks awesome (top shelf Gordon Morison art) and as always Ed Krynski (R.I.P. dude)masterpiece  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 02:31:27 AM »
Hey Tony glad you like it i still have the plastics i got from you all those years ago and would you believe its still not on there lol.  But thanks again Might have to put it on now i think about it