Author Topic: A BUMP in the road  (Read 20504 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: A BUMP in the road
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 02:08:11 PM »

That is shit mate, unfair dismissal?

You'd think so wouldn't you? Sure worth exploring.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 02:42:24 PM »

That is shit mate, unfair dismissal?

You'd think so wouldn't you? Sure worth exploring.

Absolutely .. sounds waaaayy over the top to me . On the other hand who wants to work for a dick like that ?
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 02:48:51 PM »
Sorry to hear mate. I got the sack 3 weeks ago. Been laying low even not visiting here much. All happened within 2 seconds when my boss emailed me saying no time off for staff in September as he has plans of taking the wife away. I mentioned I put in a request in March for that same weekend in September that clashed with his week off. Two seconds later I was gone after 7 years.

Guess what my weekend was for.......yep pinfest......I knew pinball wasn't good for me  %.%

First time sacked, first time unemployed, have no f@%king idea what to do.  ^.^

Good luck with the hunt mate

Worth a call to the fair work ombudsmen or the lawyers. They take a decent cut out of the settlement, however many are no win no fee based. www.mauriceblackburn.com.au

Had a family member dismissed for gossiping in the workplace  %.%. She got a good settlement out of it

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 08:20:46 PM »
Hope things turn around for you and your family very soon. Nothing worse than no job and sick kids. At least you can still have a surf and clear your head. Haven't had a surf for 10 years and some days I'd love to chuck it all in and go back to those simple times. It will get better.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »
Thanks guys looked into unfair and decided against it. It runs out after 21 days btw. The prick was a brother in law who has a substance abuse problem causing erratic behaviour. So I weighed it all up, they can deny what happened, make up another story etc. I want to leave the family thing open even though I don't think I'll see them again but a good reference may come in handy. I'll use them a little like they did to me.

Mainly pissed because I was only 6 weeks shy of long service prorata which they didn't give me. Got my four weeks and that's it.

Life goes on and if anyone knows of any management jobs going in the western suburbs of Melbourne, would appreciate hearing from you.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:46:20 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 01:36:17 PM »
make sure you check the long service leave as I was only at my job for 5 years and got pro-rata long service leave - worked out 4 and a bit weeks - get what you are entitled to.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »
make sure you check the long service leave as I was only at my job for 5 years and got pro-rata long service leave - worked out 4 and a bit weeks - get what you are entitled to.
no award at this place except for the standard so they got me. The truth is biz is going bad for them and I was an easy target in the end as they probably figured I'd just go. On my separation cert they wanted to put that I resigned  ^.^ the sad thing is sometimes money is worth more than family. If I was on the chopping block they should have just told me in advance and given me a few months to look while working. What if I bought a shit load of pinnies or something days before this happening. Things could have been done better.  *%* the type of work I do can take months to find, so really concerned at the moment.

Good to hear you got something to tie you over for a little while  ^^^
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »
a day of frustration..... ^&^ ^&^ ^&^ ^&^.............. applied for 48 jobs and only had 1 interview and lots of knock backs ...... or no notice from anyone

told by recruitment places - I am either too qualified, or too uniquely experienced that it will be hard to find a job for me

looks like I will be standing by the road with a billboard soon..... maybe even better if I had a ute I would drag out a pinball and a generator and stand along the main road trying to get attention playing pinball and asking for work - reckon the pinball would definitely grab attention just don't know how productive.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 05:27:10 PM »
a day of frustration..... ^&^ ^&^ ^&^ ^&^.............. applied for 48 jobs and only had 1 interview and lots of knock backs ...... or no notice from anyone

told by recruitment places - I am either too qualified, or too uniquely experienced that it will be hard to find a job for me

looks like I will be standing by the road with a billboard soon..... maybe even better if I had a ute I would drag out a pinball and a generator and stand along the main road trying to get attention playing pinball and asking for work - reckon the pinball would definitely grab attention just don't know how productive.

That sucks Jady . Don't give up , stay positive . Something will turn up .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 06:12:26 PM »

I doesn't quite feel right to do it, but you may have to "Dumb Down" your resume so you don't appear over qualified for the positions.
It means you need to have a couple of different resumes depending on the positions you apply for.
If you are using recruitment agents, you need to get a good one who will send the right resume to prospective employers.

I've had to swallow my pride and take a position I was over qualified for because I just needed a job/money.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 07:06:11 PM »

I doesn't quite feel right to do it, but you may have to "Dumb Down" your resume so you don't appear over qualified for the positions.
It means you need to have a couple of different resumes depending on the positions you apply for.
If you are using recruitment agents, you need to get a good one who will send the right resume to prospective employers.

I've had to swallow my pride and take a position I was over qualified for because I just needed a job/money.

+1

In today's economic climate it would also help to take any job, no matter how low the pay. Best be employed and then aim for the better payed positions.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 07:15:48 PM »
thanks guys

- I have about 10 versions of the CV - from self myself to dumbed down and even then tailoring every CV for every job
- have applied for the low pay jobs, just not many to apply for - eg a new bunnings has opened nearby, so they are taking people, over 600 people applied for the first stage employment for 10 positions and they only interview 30 people. Just a case odf slim pickings at the moment.

just had to vent sorry, even listed on Facebook someone help me with a job and they can have a pin for a month - nothing yet.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »
I was well over qualified for my last job, but I preferred being happy rather than receiving a larger income.

Maybe have a think about "doing your own thing" - like turning your hobby into a business. From personal experience, I'm kicking myself because I didn't do it myself 10 years ago. From what I've seen, you are very creative and intelligent. Work for yourself, not a boss. Take it from me, you will never look back. The first step is always the hardest.

Something to think about, anyway.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 08:06:15 PM »
That's the problem isn't it.  Having a bit of cash behind you to get going and a big set between the legs to have a go.

Best of luck with it mate.
Addicted to pins.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »
That's the problem isn't it.  Having a bit of cash behind you to get going and a big set between the legs to have a go.

Best of luck with it mate.

got it in one,

meanwhile very conscious that my young family is looking at me saying don't stuff it up

for pinball t-shirts