Author Topic: A BUMP in the road  (Read 20525 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: A BUMP in the road
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 09:35:16 PM »
That sucks mate.  I hate to think about it but I can see myself being in your position within the next few years.  The only way I will be able to keep going is to do fly in fly out work in the mining areas for a few years until fully set up. I definately dont like the idea of being away from my family weeks at a time but Gotta do what you gotta do.
All the best with the job searching hopefully something suitable will pop up soon

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 11:25:23 PM »
That sux dude hopefully something comes along soon.

If pin side is anything to go by I might be talking to uncle Kev real soon aswell

Offline riverinapinball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »
Sorry to hear about your job.
Things happen for a reason. Something good will turn up. You seem an intelligent and motivated person. The qualities that employers are looking for.
Good luck man.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Mate I hear you. I'm not even getting interviews and I'm ex GM material. Coles knocked me back managing a store. Sheesh what the..... I didn't even get a look in for a bookkeeping job. I've set up company systems for people like inghams, I'm so close to being a cpa its not funny. The guys are right, my problem is people think I will get bored or expect 6 figure salaries and I've hit 50. But my biggest problem I have found is where I live. The dicks are dicks I'm sorry to say in the western subs of melb. I've knocked back a position on the other side of town. My wife who can't find a job here gets a GM job on the other side of town 10 min from where we used to live. Swinksy maybe your in the wrong location now for what you can do. I am but I invested too much dollars building here for my last job and refuse to lose the change over costs again.

I am now looking a total career change in a profession that will enable me to work in any location even the where I am. Have two people keen on me so fingers Crossed.

Btw I may know of a job that you can try for, I will pm you
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
thanks for thoughts and comments guys....

I think you are right about the location as Newy is driven by the coal mining and the industry is waiting for the Government voting. Thing is only have a humble home here but in a great area to bring up kids, close to the beach - though have been toying with moving but don't really want to as other areas are way more expensive.

Good luck PG with those 2 potentials.....  ^^^
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »
thanks mate and sorry for venting so hard. Just frustrates you to be told you may not have the skills or suit the culture to say make a milkshake  @.@

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2013, 08:03:52 PM »
I think you are right about the location as Newy is driven by the coal mining and the industry is waiting for the Government voting.

The whole economy is in a sort of stasis at the moment until the dust settles one way or the other post September 7th.

No, I am not saying there will be some miraculous economic recovery, but no business wants to commit to any major changes until the clouds have cleared on the economic horizon and the long term management outlook can be seen.

Holden over here in Adelaide made similar pronouncements on the final decision as to their future in Australia being postponed until after the election.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2013, 08:58:15 PM »
As a business owner I MIGHT be able to give some sort of insight as to whats happening out there... this is of course my experience, but talking to other business owners, it seems to be a general consensus.

Main problem is a severe lack of confidence in the market place... it all started when KRudd stood on the podium and told us all that were to face the worst financial crisis since the great depression... everyones phone went quiet from that point on. Idea was to sit tight, hold onto what cash they had and see what happened.
This then created a downturn as the big cash wheel slowed right down... shopping centres put out an MO to operators to not commission any work unless urgent... trades feel by the wayside.
Meanwhile Gov injects Billions into school infrastructure.. the architect in the shop next to me did well out of all this.. not many more did. Government then don't pay all that was promised to schools and then they had to pick up the shortfall.
KRudd gets rolled by Julia..

Shes even more of a disaster.. all glimmers of hope for a recovery disappear with the promise of a carbon tax... once again, no one knows just how much their overheads will be and so the financial clamp down begins again... more companies go to the wall.
Carbon tax arrives and its not the end of the world and for a while confidence grows again and we see people prepared to spend a few dollars here and there.

Another electricity rise happens and the cash stops flowing again.
Now we have an election coming and until its over people are nervous again and so we are all doing it real tough again and looking to "tick over" rather than make money... ride it out is the phrase going around.

Noone is going to hire anyone right now.. not with the uncertainty about. its clamp down time and sit tight - again.

Electricity rises are by far the biggest concern for many many people.. restaurants simply cannot keep putting prices up to accommodate every rise.. they have to wear it or put prices on that no one wants to pay which means going out of business.
Falling profit margins... quiet phones and rising costs are killing all industries... its cut throat out there for quoting.
Tough time for any business and not a good time to be out of work im afraid

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »
What are you skilled in Swinks?

I know you love the coast but never disregard moving inland to the country.  Even better place to bring up kids, housing is much more affordable there are opportunities if you are willing to think outside the square a bit and have a go.  I never thought I would leave the coast, I worked on the water and loved it.  I still work on the water, just now I don't have to wash down the boat or flush the motor....it's all fresh water in here.  I moved to Albury 6 years ago and I didn't think I would survive my 3 year tenure, now I can't ever see myself moving back to the coast.
Addicted to pins.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2013, 09:29:40 PM »
Electricity rises are by far the biggest concern for many many people..

Double edged sword, this is the reason Australian workers push for higher wages, we need power and the power companies have us by the balls, the cost of living keeps rising and the workers need wage rises to cover the cost of inflation.  Most are not looking for ridiculous CEO pay rises, just enough to live as comfortably as they did last year.

What really shits me is when big companies like the ANZ bank send 600 jobs offshore after anouncing a 3.2 BILLION dollar profit in the (only) six month period prior.  Insulting to those employed at the company when they have all helped make the unbelievable profits.
The CEO of the ANZ bank earns over 10 Million dollars a year salary  :wtf:

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2013, 10:51:49 PM »
What are you skilled in Swinks?

mechanical engineering and project work

but to move from the coast, as love my surfing more than pinball, put a wave pool inland I would consider it

have applied for heaps just a waiting game on a few hopefulls
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »
I'll keep you in my thoughts, my wife is presently unemployed as well. I've been there, although it was in 2009 for me. Seems like just yesterday, and I still look over my shoulder, wondering if it's going to happen again. Not a good feeling to have.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »
My weekly bitch..... well not really but was told something interesting today. Statically if you're 55+ and lose your job, it will take you on average 72 weeks to find a job. F@#k by that time you're ready for retirement  %.%

Now I know why people say things about lack of experience in the workforce or poor customer service, employees not being dependable or employees changing jobs like the weather etc etc ........ well maybe if companies get their heads out of their arses and start employing a 55yo that may solve a lot of problems. I know most biz think the most they'll get out of a 55yo is 10 years well show me a young guy making long service  ^.^

Btw I'm not 55 yet and kind of working casually towards a career change (kinda like work experience as a kid  %.%) but I thought I'd share this interesting fact.

Vent over  ^^^

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2013, 10:53:08 AM »
My weekly bitch..... well not really but was told something interesting today. Statically if you're 55+ and lose your job, it will take you on average 72 weeks to find a job. F@#k by that time you're ready for retirement  %.%

Now I know why people say things about lack of experience in the workforce or poor customer service, employees not being dependable or employees changing jobs like the weather etc etc ........ well maybe if companies get their heads out of their arses and start employing a 55yo that may solve a lot of problems. I know most biz think the most they'll get out of a 55yo is 10 years well show me a young guy making long service  ^.^

Btw I'm not 55 yet and kind of working casually towards a career change (kinda like work experience as a kid  %.%) but I thought I'd share this interesting fact.

Vent over  ^^^

Agree 100% . I'm less than 4 years away from 55, and as one of my workmates says , the sword of Damacles (spelling??) is hanging over our heads again right now . Sure hope I don't join the ever growing list of those being retrenched but I think it is just a matter of time  !@# !@#
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »
I was retrenched on Nov 11, 2011 and called to the office at 11 am to tell me the bad news. How could I forget that date? I took it OK because they gave a good payout after 34 years service. At the time I was aged 52, so it seems that over 50s are definiteley targeted for the scrap heap. On a positive, my mind is free and clear, I am fitter and trimmer and can do what I want to do, stuff the boss. Financialy, I will just make it to 55 when I can access some super. Always be positive and life will go on.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,