Author Topic: Loose Playfield Post ..What to do?  (Read 294 times)

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Loose Playfield Post ..What to do?
« on: July 02, 2013, 05:28:11 PM »
Not really that technical a question so I thought I would just post it here.
I have a playfield post that is right in the line of fire for the right flipper and as a result of years of being hit at full pelt it has become loose and opended up the thread a little on the playfield timber meaning it can not be tightened back up. The hole in the post will not allow a fatter screw which in my opinion would have been the easiest fix. The next thing that springs to mind is to carefully drill right through the playfield and use a nut and bolt through the post as apposed to the screw. Before I do this I thought I better check that I am doing the right thing or is there something I'm missing or maybe a better way to go.
Thanks for any advice in advance.
Tim

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Loose Playfield Post ..What to do?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 05:34:22 PM »
pack the hole with some tooth picks or a kebab stick and cut it level with a pair of good side cutters
I pack the hole until you can not fit a full size piece of kebab stick in, i then cut the end of the kebab stick in half and tap it in with a small hammer so the wood is really compressed in there.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:37:11 PM »
pack the hole with some tooth picks or a kebab stick and cut it level with a pair of good side cutters
I pack the hole until you can not fit a full size piece of kebab stick in, i then cut the end of the kebab stick in half and tap it in with a small hammer so the wood is really compressed in there.

A drop of super thin superglue can also be added to that.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline benpin

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 06:02:06 PM »
Had the same problems with loose post and packing the hole with timber,so many times
In the end, I end up drilling the hole out and put metal post with nut.
NO problems ever since.
That's the way to go. *%*

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:17:20 PM »
you could do what they did on the 80's playfields where you could drill out the hole in size to suit a nut insert and then the post / bolt just screws into that. Bally did it on high impact posts of the top lanes, slingshots. They also installed a small screw to lock that insert in place as well.

just make sure before you start any drilling of holes that you make some sort of drill stop so you can only drill so deep as it won't take much for the drill to pull itself right through the playfield.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:40:41 PM »
see, there is more than one way to skin a cat  :lol
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses guys. All good ideas I think I'll have a crack at the Beaky no drill kebab stick method first and if that doesn't last I'll get the drill out as a last resort..prefer not to drill if I don't have to  #@#

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »
As mentioned the wooden kebab stick works (i've used this on the underside many times).  Another good method is to mix up some JB weld.  You must tape the area well (don't want it on art work), but it sets as hard as steel, bonds very well to wood and then drill a pilot hole before re-screwing the post back in.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 10:29:39 PM »
Yep..JB Weld or Selleys " Knead It" is the way to go... I really don't like the shoving kebab skewars down the hole idea... bit of a bodge up in my book

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 02:08:40 PM »
It's fairly rare to find a playfield that has taken a beating over the years to not find a loose post here and there.  Similar to what has been suggested above, I found what has worked very well for me is to first fill the hole with a very small abount of araldite.  Then give it a good 24-48 hours to cure, drill a new hole, and use the existing screw.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 12:01:09 PM »
Yep..JB Weld or Selleys " Knead It" is the way to go... I really don't like the shoving kebab skewars down the hole idea... bit of a bodge up in my book
when your on site and getting paid by the hour, waiting around on site for things to cure is not an option for me.
besides i haven't had to re do one of these repairs again. so to call my practice "bit of a bodge up" is a bit rude in my opinion.
if the hole is too big then i drill all the way through and use a screw and T nut to secure the post

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 01:39:24 PM »

I prefer the stick and glue method myself, but I don't feel it being called a "bit of a bodge up" is rude, just another's opinion. I have regularly filled under playfield holes with a couple of toothpicks and superglue, light sanding and a solid fill is achieved. Quick and easy solution, especially for small holes where Knead It is hard to get into.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »
when your on site and getting paid by the hour, waiting around on site for things to cure is not an option for me.
besides i haven't had to re do one of these repairs again. so to call my practice "bit of a bodge up" is a bit rude in my opinion.
if the hole is too big then i drill all the way through and use a screw and T nut to secure the post

LOL... honestly didn't think anyone would take it as a personal insult.. not meaning to be rude but shoving a toothpick or whatever down a hole IS a bit of a bodge up... " waiting around onsite for things to cure is not an option for me" - most bodge fixes are done because of the reason you just stated.. its a journeymans fix it speciality.. quick.!

Knead it goes off in 10 mins.. pretty quick in my book

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 01:45:41 PM »
Just fixed the post using the kebab skewer method. I must say very quick and easy and seems as solid as a rock so thanks for the tip Beaky. The other advantage was that I got to have a very tasty kebab for lunch (joking I used a new stick).
If this fails in time I will go with the" kned it" or "jb welb" method next time.
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 08:02:41 PM »
no problems mate.
glad i could help