Author Topic: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - re-theme with a lcd  (Read 10953 times)

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - re-theme with a lcd
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
mmmmmmmmmm Sarah Michelle, aka.BUFFY.
  Never played a SOF but man that looks fun, for me I like the artwork as it looks like some thought has gone into it, not just slapped together with photo shop. Nice side rail work too!
Who wouldn't like their arse kicked by a hot little vampire slayer? Pinball or in real life.

AWESOME job dude, great find SWINKS.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:23:29 AM by oldskool1969 »
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »
you will always get someone passing a negative comment just for the sake of it.

Bit rough mate.. hardly for the sake of it.

Accolades only forum now?

It's pinball and pinball people are far too precious, any hint of a opinion or idea that is not to the masses liking and the pitchforks come out.
These people need to get over themselves big time.

not accolades only forum but just don't see the reason for people to bag out something it is a project done by one guy, different story when you have a company that spends millions on a pin design. hats off to Dave on his solo effort plus I think it looks professional.

when it comes to personal stuff that people work on I am a firm believer of constructive criticism if I feel it is needed or asked for and if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. It's not about being a yes man and you don't have to be a no man either just about being polite.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:50:32 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 12:05:16 PM »

[/quote]

not accolades only forum but just don't see the reason for people to bag out something it is a project done by one guy, different story when you have a company that spends millions on a pin design. hats off to Dave on his solo effort plus I think it looks professional.

when it comes to personal stuff that people work on I am a firm believer of constructive criticism if I feel it is needed or asked for and if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. It's not about being a yes man and you don't have to be a no man either just about being polite.
[/quote]
Totally agree, Share the stoke!

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »
Nothing wrong with Buffy.
How many seasons did it go for 6 or 7? Must be something worthwhile there.

Original Star Trek got canned because ratings were poor but that didn't stop Bally building a pinball for it.

Offline Nelly

• Forum Posts:
  • Aurora, IL United States
    • Buffy Pinball
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »
Hey, it's all good. Everybody is entitled to their opinions. While I do think the negotiable comments are a bit harsh, it is a public forum and you are free to say what you want about it. Hell, this is pretty tame compared to some of the crap that is spewed over on Pinside. :lol

Thanks again for all the comments guys! Especially the positive ones! *%*

swinks: I can't wait to hear about your project! I love the ground up builds! I would have loved to have gone that route, but I thought it was a bit too much to take on my first time out. Maybe for my next build!  %$%

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 04:43:54 PM »

I would have loved to have gone that route, but I thought it was a bit too much to take on my first time out. Maybe for my next build!  %$%

Here's one I worked on http://www.users.on.net/~spaners/Coconut%20Island/

I think at the time this was one of the very earliest documented scratch builds. System was PC based programmed in Basic, long before p-roc was around.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 05:46:59 PM »
Ok.. constructive criticism.
Artwork could look a lot better.. cabinet is dull and lacks imagination

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, I am not offended by it at all.
Since he is making a one of for him, it will suit his tastes better than any ones.
I think we prefer original art and old school artists, well I do any way.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 07:13:38 PM »
you will always get someone passing a negative comment just for the sake of it.

Bit rough mate.. hardly for the sake of it.

Accolades only forum now?

It's pinball and pinball people are far too precious, any hint of a opinion or idea that is not to the masses liking and the pitchforks come out.
These people need to get over themselves big time.

+1 I think it looks very cool. I've been a big fan of pretty much everything Joss Whedons done also, particularly Buffy and Firefly. Great work there.  ^^^

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »
looks very nice to me
and what a great game to use SOF,
its a better theme than some of the stuff Stern & JJP  have released (IMO)

look forward to seeing the played art when its done
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:01:54 PM by Greg »
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Nelly

• Forum Posts:
  • Aurora, IL United States
    • Buffy Pinball
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 01:41:09 AM »

Here's one I worked on http://www.users.on.net/~spaners/Coconut%20Island/

I think at the time this was one of the very earliest documented scratch builds. System was PC based programmed in Basic, long before p-roc was around.

Awesome! I am pretty sure I wouldn't have the patience to do a build like that, let alone, have the knowledge. Bravo! Nice work!  @@*

Man, you just don't give up do you? We get it, you don't like it. I didn't make this cabinet for you, I made it for me. I happen to like what I have come up with and it seems that most others do too. Lacks Imagination? How so? Let's see pics of your custom creation so I can determine how much better it is than mine. ::)  How about you move on and quit this border line trolling you seem to be doing! <..>

+1 I think it looks very cool. I've been a big fan of pretty much everything Joss Whedons done also, particularly Buffy and Firefly. Great work there.  ^^^

Thanks! Actually, if I did do another custom project after this, it would be a Firefly pin!  ^^^

looks very nice to me
and what a great game to use SOF,
its a better theme than some of the stuff Stern & JJP  have released (IMO)

look forward to seeing the played art when its done

Thanks! Yeah SOF was the perfect layout for me. Great game to start off with, but loads of potential for improvement. This game will have features that SOF didn't have and we are taking full advantage of the drop target assembly on the upper playfield. With the addition of a couple extra switches we have been able to develope 8 main modes and 6+ sub modes for this area alone! The goal is to have a much deeper rule set than SOF, yet still maintain good playability for players of all  skill sets.

I am looking forward to seeing the PF art as well. It will be one of the last things I tackle though. I need to make sure the game play and rule sets are solid and locked in before adding it.  The basics are pretty much set in stone, but I want to make sure the art work flows well with how the game plays.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:43:59 AM by Nelly »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 09:53:46 AM »
Hardly trolling.. I got accused of making criticism for the sake of it which isn't so. Constructive criticism is OK.. so I elaborated a bit.
What you are doing is a huge undertaking and I take my hat off to you. But I also feel that with a large blank canvas like a cabinet side you have to opportunity to do more than slap a Photoshopped Buffy logo on it. Its a recipe that's been repeated over and over.. be nice to see someone break away from that a bit that's all, so yes, it lacks a bit of imagination to me.. that's my opinion and im allowed to have it and air it- that's what happens when things are made public, we are all allowed to have an opinion. Mine would have stopped right back at the first post were it not for the snide remark.
Im not a Buffy fan, so im always going to be behind the 8  ball on this one.. don't take it to heart, its not a personal attack

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »
I removed the last few comments as it was getting off track.

Please carry on respectfully to each and the creator of this pin.

We look forward to hearing about your pin more when it progresses.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:08:58 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts