Author Topic: TAG - Thunderbirds Pinball - parts update thread  (Read 96785 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
TAG - Thunderbirds Pinball - parts update thread
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:59:07 AM »
OK- TAG is on the go! (pun intended). I invite ANY and ALL ideas from people no matter how small they may seem. We will throw all ideas and concepts up. Please keep this thread for new POSITIVE suggestions only.

There is nothing fixed at all at this stage and any and all pictures you see at this stage are purely artist conceptions and WILL certainly change.

Keeping in mind that we don't want to end up with this:

A few things that we have thrown up as a VERY rough guideline are (in no particular order):

(1) Standard width, full size cabinet
(2) Backbox animation? Possibly Mr Tracy at his desk talking?
(3) DMD NOT LCD
(4) Embedded controller NOT PC based
(5) Drop targets (qty and type up for discussion)
(6) PF magnet/s
(7) Stereo sound with subwoofer (mainly for upwards compatibility with future machines)
(8) Excellent PF toys such as TB2, Mole, sliding pool and falling palm trees, FAB1 (Rolls Royce) and Lady Penelope ???>>>>
(9) Machined aluminium flipper mechanisms with roller bearings

Any CONSTRUCTIVE ideas or suggestions most welcome........

While we are talking about FAB1 - my wife bought new plates for her car (no, it isn't a Rolls Royce):

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:25:52 PM by Homepin »
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
A small playfield window. Like MB, tiny LCD. TB4 in the water.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
TB2 the main toy position similar to the shuttle in Space Shuttle drops the pod for ball locks. When up position allows a loop.

Five ball multiball of course! 5 4 3 2 1 — Multiball, thunderbirds are go!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline dendoc

• Forum Posts:
Great theme for a pinball - especially with the ago of mostcollectors  nowadays (no offence to the younger ones)

Linking modes to key episodes is a great idea, like Family Guy does, with the DMD animations. So much potential for toys, don't need to suggest any.

Something needs to come up from under the playfield, like the launching of the thunderbirds. Bit difficult to get the pool in there I assume? <.>

Would love a small TV with scenes playing for the modes or continuously. I have one as a mod for my TZ and it's great. Doesn't need to be a crystal ball...........

If there is an underplayfield, ease of access would be good. ACDC is a bit of a pain to get to, congo is easier.

yes to magnets, in line drop targets ? powerball?

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
- an island in top left of right corner - see photo
- possibly dmd on opposing corner to link in the vehicle being launched

NOT too many puppets, not a fan of the puppets but the vehicles in the show were cool and the pin potential is good and am interested

- 3 different translites available see photo for ideas
a-puppets for the show fans
b-island and vehicles for the non fans that like the sci-fi stuff
c-a combo showing just the faces and vehicles

also here is a link for thunderbirds 3D models that could be used to create some toys (with a mix of thunderbird cars - just ignore those)
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=thunderbird+3d+models&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=7hHaUdgNyqGTBbWegegC&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=2174&bih=1250
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
maybe with the island if a particular vehicle is being launched a ramp can be accessed ???? for a mission start

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
[whois.enetica.com.au]
Registrant Details:
  Homepin
  P.O. Box 822
  Kuranda, QLD 4881
  AU
  Domain Name: THUNDERBIRDSPINBALL.NET

[whois.enetica.com.au]
Registrant Details:
  Homepin
  P.O. Box 822
  Kuranda, QLD 4881
  AU
  Domain Name: THUNDERBIRDSPINBALL.COM

Domain Name   thunderbirdspinball.net.au
Registrar ID   Enetica
Registrar Name   Enetica
Status   ok
Registrant   KALINOWSKI MICHAEL B
Registrant ID   ABN 12916147436

Domain Name   thunderbirdspinball.com.au
Registrar ID   Enetica
Registrar Name   Enetica
Status   ok
Registrant   KALINOWSKI MICHAEL B
Registrant ID   ABN 12916147436

All point to Homepin.com
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:07:59 PM by Homepin »

Offline 63wizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Circuit boards that components can easily be replaced, none of this surface mount stuff.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
I hear you and agree BUT in this day and age that's the way electronics has gone. I will be ensuring that things that are likely to need replacing at some point will be easy to do however such as driver transistors.

I will also be isolating all outputs with optocouplers so in the event of a catastrophic failure, all upstream components should be OK.

I have a few other ideas as well that will make the electronics as servicable and as robust as possible.

Circuit boards that components can easily be replaced, none of this surface mount stuff.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

I'd steer clear somewhat of the characters - puppets are, of course, a little creepy!! IMO, focus should be on *the* Thunderbirds - the real characters of the show are their snazy air/road/sea/space craft. Maybe incorporate something of the marionettes in some artwork, but the playfield toys should be focused on the craft (and maybe Tracey Island).

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW

I'd steer clear somewhat of the characters - puppets are, of course, a little creepy!! IMO, focus should be on *the* Thunderbirds - the real characters of the show are their snazy air/road/sea/space craft. Maybe incorporate something of the marionettes in some artwork, but the playfield toys should be focused on the craft (and maybe Tracey Island).

+1
totally agree

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
One or some of the modes should incorporate  some sort of countdown as many of the episodes did with people trapped or something about to explode.  Hitting a certain target or sequence of targets could maybe extend your time to complete the mode or extend the length or number of multiballs.  E.G  Hit a target to ask for backup from another Thunderbird i.e. launch another ball or something along those lines.

I tend to agree with concentrating on the vehicles and equipment over the puppets.

A video mode is always good as well.  

I can hear the countdown as well releasing some captive balls from around the playfield. 5 - ball gets loaded  4 - another ball gets loaded somewhere else 3 - another one is loaded 2 - another one released or loaded 1 - same again.  TBs are GO and all hell breaks loose with 5 balls launched from all over the place.  Something like the spinning magnet disc on Twister may also work.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:

+1
totally agree

Have to disagree here.. puppets are creepy.. clowns are creepy.. spiders are creepy... its all personal weirdness and you guys must have some...LOL.
Obviously a TB pinball has to have missions which incorporate Thunderbirds 1...2..3..4 ( theres a whole stack of levels already!).
But.... the MAIN component of any TB episode was that Jeff Tracey gave you your mission.. its he who built the island and its he who instructs his 5 sons... TB aint TB without Jeff.

It cant be done with justice unless Jeff tells you your mission

Offline Ant68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
A bank of 10 drop targets , a drop a target for each TB and a target for each pilot .
Outer lanes return gates .
All TB pictured on back glass.
Some type of back glass automation .
Video Mode .
Moving swimming pool that would roll out the 5 TB balls.
Audio Jack.
Volume control.
Modular replaceable interactive toys , ie 4 bolts removes a interactive toy fast and easy .
3D plastics ( as mentioned before )
Recessed strip lighting of LED's integrated in to the base of the cabinets that will not want interferer with trolleys etc etc.
Simple but effective rule set .

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Simple but effective rule set

Have to agree here.. pinball "deep" sets are becoming like chewing through War & Peace.. its is actually nice to get to the end of a game and be rewarded without losing a day or two in the process.
As always though.. its one of those things that's achievable once in a blue moon and "almost" on many occasions.
Once components are chosen the balance of those to make a game effective is a fine line... the ever " so close but no cigar" is a difficult balance to make.. not many machines actually have it and multiple toys don't make a classic players game, in fact, few well chosen aspects properly placed make a tough but very rewarding game.
One of my favourites - WMS APOLLO.. not too much there, but classic design and just elusive enough to tempt you for more plays