Author Topic: TAG - Thunderbirds Pinball - parts update thread  (Read 96847 times)

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: TAG - Thunderbirds Pinball - parts update thread
« Reply #510 on: August 23, 2016, 04:17:51 PM »
Cabinet art is a shocker-no other way to politely describe it

It seems strange that the title of the game is Thunderbirds are Go" but the artwork only has "Thunderbirds"

I'm calling BS on the art release, it's just too amateurish to be the real deal
I think you may be right it could be BS for whatever reason i'm not sure.
I hope it is BS because the thing I was looking forward to seeing the most on this title was the artwork. I had visions of hand drawn old school grandeur. In my mind I was picturing something along the lines of Breakshot artwork.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:20:37 PM by spacejam0 »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #511 on: August 23, 2016, 11:36:06 PM »

It seems strange that the title of the game is Thunderbirds are Go" but the artwork only has "Thunderbirds"

+

Coconut Island was more professional!!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #512 on: August 24, 2016, 08:59:42 PM »
Is that where my lawn mower ended up. I'm told my wife is going to allow me to use scissors next week.  $#$
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #513 on: August 24, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »

+

Coconut Island was more professional!!!

Looks better in the flesh  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #514 on: September 24, 2016, 03:29:37 PM »
Went to Australia's Pinfest today with an open mind, and honestly not much to tell from that that is on Facebook or on this thread.

- common pinball parts are copies of Bally / WMS / Stern mechs but with little tweaks and improvements which is nice to see and granted would take alot of work to create all the dies etc.

- noticed the flipper mechs are now like the 90's Bally / WMS and not like his first concept

- the pop bumper is similar to old Stern with a few tweaks but comes with a pcb which is nice the pop bumper body that is closest to the skirt is a clear so gives it a cool nice glow.

- he had a few various plastic molded parts from pop bumper caps and switch spoons etc as well as clear flipper buttons (able to be lit) - which are different to regular buttons and felt weird as almost leading to a deeper almost v shape - if similar to the ones on Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

NOTE: (though I could be wrong) to those wanting replacement parts for other games that China is Metric so all mechs, bolts etc are metric so there could be the possibility of things not perfectly fitting.

- cabinet art was that of previous release so not wowed by it, but the backbox el panel is nice and effective as it wasn't a dark room and stood out, nice work there.

- the cabinet looks very similar to a Bally / WMS but the backbox seems to have a move additional little 15-25mm peak for half of the top front edge - sure it will link with a topper - just hope there is enough clearance to not smash the glass when folded down for transport.

- I like the cabinet rails as they have a wrap around the front edge

- backglass / translite - was the word thunderbirds, with I think on memory 5 characters and then the top half of the trans is the island scene in which behind it when the pool opens a rocket is on a mech that rotates around and must be backlit and casts a rocket shadow onto the trans. Sure this will be improved but get the idea.

- speaker panel had 2 large and 2 small speakers and then a colour rgb dmd type screen but they said the resolution will be much better in the future but current was nice. No art on the plain timber panel but apparently coming...

- the coin door was a half size door sitting to the rhs and get that it doesn't have to be a full door but you do get use to a look, sure they will balance it as looks odd to one side.

- as for the playfield - it was a very very bare bare whitewood
   - had a pop bumper cluster
   - had a mech to the top lhs with a screw drive with a paper / cardboard picture of a pool and it opens and that is when the translite hidden shadow image activates - will be effective once fully completed.
   - rhs side upper corner is a ramp - not sure if it lifts up but leading up to the ramp is 3-4 triangle inserts and 3 palms on one side and 2 palms on the other side and these fold down 30-45 degrees from the vertical probably on a launch mode - is effective.

all photos from forums and facebook - no cameras allowed but in one way good to see some progress.

I do have concerns with Chinese quality, as in made to spec as just from Sids stories sounds like they have lots of dramas and revisions and probably a full time job monitoring this in the future. Other concern is the steel quality as Chinese are well know for blending steels so stainless is not full stainless as the lockdown bar appeared to have some minor rust imperfections / colouring.

As for deadline - finished when it is finished ??????

hope that helps those curious
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #515 on: September 24, 2016, 04:52:57 PM »
Even though there doesn't seem to be a lot to tell thanks for the nicely detailed update swinks  ^^^

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #516 on: September 24, 2016, 04:58:10 PM »
Thanks for the update and insights. Would have loved to head down but too much pinball travelling lately!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #517 on: September 24, 2016, 09:28:17 PM »
hmm! wonder why it was so secretive with really what appears to be not that much to show.

QA will always be an issue with anything made overseas, we have roof panels for a children's hospital here in Perth with bloody asbestos in them and guess what, they were made in China  ^&^ for example.
Wonder if anything has happened to the ball issue as well? don't really want to ask as the response is not nice.

How many attended the talk Swinksy mate and what was the general response?
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #518 on: September 24, 2016, 11:18:03 PM »
I am not sure nothing that could not have been shown or already seen - I think a presence had to be seen otherwise the remaining people might lose faith.

As for a talk, there was none just the cabinet and table of bit jammed in a little side room and people went to have a look and listen to either Mike's or Sid's speech on why there were delays, etc, I didn't listen to Mike only Sid and wouldn't say he was the most classy salesmen.

only enough room for 3 people in front of one of them at a time
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #519 on: September 24, 2016, 11:24:58 PM »
Jady
 I agree with what you wrote and it was good to see Micks progress

I sounds like its been a tough road for him but its good to see he still has his sence of humour