Author Topic: advice wanted  (Read 568 times)

Offline raresaturn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
advice wanted
« on: July 17, 2013, 02:56:25 AM »
Hi guys, I've been lurking here for a while and not posting much, however I need some advice.  Recently I was retrenched, and slowly I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't want to rely on others any more for work any more, I want to work for myself.  This is proving more difficult that I'd hoped, you see I live in a coastal holiday town, which is dead in winter but really booms in summer, Easter, and school holidays.  So..I came up with this grand and brilliant scheme to rent out pinball machines to these holiday makers on their weekends away to the beach house.  These people have high disposable income so I'm sure they could afford it, I'm just not sure if the demad is there or not.  So I would like some advice around these questions, if I may...  IS this crazy or could it work?  What price would be fair for a weekend hire?  What would be a good machine/s to start with?  What transportation issues are there (I have access to a van)
Any encouragement or discouragement greatly appreciated.  Now I need to work on convincing the wife  *.*

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:24:45 AM »
where are you located?

understand the thoughts as have been retrenched myself and hunting for work so have ideas running through my head as well, but not a risk taker so very hesitant.

some info to help you.....

found this guy the other day and not promoting him just gives you a idea to what he is doing, though my concern is the specifics of who pays for what damage and transporting them and you would be relying on the return visitor unless you got in with the  people that own the places and charged them a consistent weekly rate - less moving and rotate every few weeks while no one is there - could be a promoting point for the property owner to get people into his homes ?????.
http://rentapin.weebly.com/index.html
things to consider:
- I wouldn't rely on holiday makers helping you carry a pin in
- steps
- damage to pins - fails due to wear and tear a few hours in
- insurance

don't know how cashed up you are but reckon this idea is cool where people come to you, play pins, eat icecream drink coffee and beer, music and play pins
http://fulltilticecream.com
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:27:18 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »
Personally, i don't think it would make much money.  As swinks has pointed out, transport, damage and insurance would possibly cost more than the income generated.  I may be wrong.  It could be a good sideline through word of mouth, but you only need one machine to have a failure (parents leave kids alone for the night, they throw a big party and trash the machine, then do a runner) and it all turns bad.  It may be more worthwhile siting one somewhere you know the owner well, such as a corner store, take away joint or similar. Then if people enquire about it, the owner could pass your details and say you would consider short term hire.  But i really think the market is quite limited.

To be completely honest, you probably need to ask the question on a non pinball forum.  We all get excited about seeing a pinny out in the wild, so encourage others to do it. But if you are relying on it for income, you will get a less biased opinion from non pinheads.

As an aside - if you can find a place to site one that you are confident it is safe it may be worthwhile. As an indication, we have a tavern thingy 50m from our back fence (live in semi rural area) - http://www.melvilles.com.au/ it is only open Friday nights and Sunday lunch and has a country theme and is aimed at families - they always have a jumping castle, train rides and animals for the kids to pat.  I know the owner well (as a neighbour) and he was very keen for me to put a machine up there - his insurance covers damage.  In 6 weeks i made $150 with Roadshow, then swapped it over to Austin Powers last week, and on Sunday there were plenty of people giving it a workout.  Its not really there to make too much money, more to give exposure to the hobby - i've got it set on $1 for 4 balls.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
Rent-a-pin /www.rentapin.weebly.com is my little business.

Certainly wouldn't make enough money to provide the bulk of your income, but if you get a few rentals, then you can do okay.

I take a $300 fully refundable bond and get all details such as drivers licence and obviously address. Customers sign a terms and conditions agreement in which both parties get a copy of.

I do it because I enjoy it. I like the process of coming up with an idea and seeing it through to delivery. My prices are cheap as I am after return of clients and I have the means to charge significantly less than others because of low overheads.  ()

Offline raresaturn

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »

To be completely honest, you probably need to ask the question on a non pinball forum.  We all get excited about seeing a pinny out in the wild, so encourage others to do it. But if you are relying on it for income, you will get a less biased opinion from non pinheads.

Yeah I thought of that after I posted  %.%
Thanks for your input.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 02:00:22 PM »

Certainly wouldn't make enough money to provide the bulk of your income, but if you get a few rentals, then you can do okay.

I take a $300 fully refundable bond and get all details such as drivers licence and obviously address. Customers sign a terms and conditions agreement in which both parties get a copy of.

I do it because I enjoy it. I like the process of coming up with an idea and seeing it through to delivery. My prices are cheap as I am after return of clients and I have the means to charge significantly less than others because of low overheads.  ()

small world - good on you,

would like to do it, but would love to have a "full tilt ice cream" place with pins

for pinball t-shirts

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 02:03:44 PM »

I do it because I enjoy it. I like the process of coming up with an idea and seeing it through to delivery. My prices are cheap as I am after return of clients and I have the means to charge significantly less than others because of low overheads.  ()

small world - good on you,

would like to do it, but would love to have a "full tilt ice cream" place with pins

%.% me too! Would be great.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 03:27:13 PM »
If you really want to do it then diversify into general amusement hire. Pure pinball (and hiring out pinballs moreso) is still far too niche to generate a decent income from.

Some XX-in-1 arcade cabs, some PC based jukes and a couple of karaoke machines in addition to the pinball should help rental numbers.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:31:20 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 04:40:04 PM »
Personally I don't think it would be very profitable.  The cost in time, fuel and the like to deliver a machine, set it up only to have to return to pick it up a few days or weeks later would make it very hard yakka.

I have a holiday house that we rent out and it has a pinball machine and arcade machine in it.  I have nothing but good things said about it but it is on free play.  An option that I would be looking at would be to hire the machine out to the owner of the property to have it as an attraction as someone else mentioned earlier.  They are a hit with the families, it keeps the kids amused whilst Mum and Dad get a bit of a break or play the machines themselves.  Leave the machine on free play and follow the tact that it will be a drawcard for the property.

You would only want to do it in a few houses though so it keeps it unique appeal.
Addicted to pins.

Marty Machine

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
Sorry to hear of your bad news, a few guys on here have been thru the same thing, myself included.

All i can say is NONE of us wanna 'work for the man'...but we have to, unless we have our own fruitful & sustainable business....

Sorry to say, Your idea is one of desperation and offers no immediate solution to your sudden income losses.
You need to put that aside, and focus on getting a stable job elsewhere for now, THEN give yourself time to plan and bring your hire-out idea to reality.

I'd have to say that holidayers aren't going away to play pinball, they're trying to relax or do things that aren't available in the local area.
You would DEFINATELY want to offer more than pinballs for hire, certainly add arcade, jukeboxes and/or inflatable castles etc....

I think you should aim your hires to the hotels & resorts, NOT to the holidaying people themselves.

Sorry, but this whole thing is just riddled with High-risk and low (no) return as an immediate solution....

You will get a lot of positive support on here, because you're appealing to pin-enthusiasts....
Go out onto the streets and do some polling, ask people if they would play a pinball or arcade machine while away on holidays, you'll get a fairly low response rate, most probably wouldnt even know what these machines are.

Just being honest, i'd rather you put energy and money into something a little more popular and guaranteed.....
For starters, inflatable(jumping) castles far outweigh hireouts of amusement machines, maybe try that avenue instead.  ;-)

MM.

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 10:43:47 PM »
Sorry to hear of your bad news, a few guys on here have been thru the same thing, myself included.

All i can say is NONE of us wanna 'work for the man'...but we have to, unless we have our own fruitful & sustainable business....

Sorry to say, Your idea is one of desperation and offers no immediate solution to your sudden income losses.
You need to put that aside, and focus on getting a stable job elsewhere for now, THEN give yourself time to plan and bring your hire-out idea to reality.

I'd have to say that holidayers aren't going away to play pinball, they're trying to relax or do things that aren't available in the local area.
You would DEFINATELY want to offer more than pinballs for hire, certainly add arcade, jukeboxes and/or inflatable castles etc....

I think you should aim your hires to the hotels & resorts, NOT to the holidaying people themselves.

Sorry, but this whole thing is just riddled with High-risk and low (no) return as an immediate solution....

You will get a lot of positive support on here, because you're appealing to pin-enthusiasts....
Go out onto the streets and do some polling, ask people if they would play a pinball or arcade machine while away on holidays, you'll get a fairly low response rate, most probably wouldnt even know what these machines are.

Just being honest, i'd rather you put energy and money into something a little more popular and guaranteed.....
For starters, inflatable(jumping) castles far outweigh hireouts of amusement machines, maybe try that avenue instead.  ;-)

MM.

Well said Champ, pretty much spot on, *%*

all the best raresaturn  ^^^
happy wife happy life as they say  #@#

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 10:45:36 PM »
Well said MM

For me it is a dreamy thought but wouldn't act on it, as not viable enough to pay the mortgage etc with what pins I have.

Sometimes the dreams help you get through some of the tough times, better than running away from the problem with drugs and drink

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 09:02:54 AM »
I think that is a pretty silly idea.
 *%*
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »

MM.

Hits the nail on the head. Hiring machines should be a "weekend" or Hobby Business. Something to do to keep yourself busy.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline raresaturn

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »
Coolio, thanks everyone for your advice.  Time to take a breather