Author Topic: Aussie Pin that never got built - Croc Hunter  (Read 17707 times)

Offline dirkman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Aussie Pin that never got built - Croc Hunter
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 07:31:32 PM »
 ^^^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
I do not believe that a single machine was completed. Keep in mind this was to have a brand new operating system that never saw the light of day. If anyone believes a rule set code was written for that one game,  well, I have a great bridge you might like to buy.........
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »
I do not believe that a single machine was completed. Keep in mind this was to have a brand new operating system that never saw the light of day. If anyone believes a rule set code was written for that one game,  well, I have a great bridge you might like to buy.........

I do agree with you, and if you went to all that work re-theme it and pump it out.....
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »
He never elaborated on how completed the game was, only that it was made and the Irwin family have it.

Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »
The schedule/ build timeline was pretty much on track in 2006. In that year Steve approved the art and everything was moving along well with preorders and marketing. Sep 4, 2006 hit and everything went to the wall.

I have one of the few remaining production flyers. On the paper it showed the original cabinet design, Bally trademark and nice looking artwork. It was shaping up to be something pretty special.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »
I have seen A (note A indicating singular) completed cabinet/headbox with the cabinet/headbox artwork applied.

At the time it was an EMPTY SHELL and being used as a receptacle for spare parts/various bits of junk in their warehouse.

The artwork looked exactly as it does in the flyer so I presume it was a production version.

The headbox reminded me at the time of a narrower Pin2000 type or a Sharkeys Shootout with the curved sides.

I do remember taking a pic and will try and find it on one of my ext hard drives if possible and upload it.

This would have been in late 2010.

I also remember getting a hold of a couple of sound bytes/clips of some VERY basic code from the machine. It basically consisted of Steve Irwin repeating his typical catchcries of, "Take a look at this little beauty" and the rather apt, "We've got a problem".  Again, I'll try and locate them on one of my ext hard drives.

As for the rest of the machine-
coding/ruleset - no way
playfield art - no way

Playable version in existence - not a chance.

http://www.pinballnews.com/news/australia7.html
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:03:48 PM by pinsanity »

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
The schedule/ build timeline was pretty much on track in 2006. In that year Steve approved the art and everything was moving along well with preorders and marketing. Sep 4, 2006 hit and everything went to the wall.

I have one of the few remaining production flyers. On the paper it showed the original cabinet design, Bally trademark and nice looking artwork. It was shaping up to be something pretty special.

Chris, like this flyer  #@#

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALLY-CROCODILE-HUNTER-OUTBACK-ADVENTURE-PINBALL-MACHINE-FLYER-PROTOTYPE-RARE-/151040089248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232ab0dca0

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 10:01:14 PM »
thanks for sharing as well as anything else we can add - might become a type of time capsule of what almost could of happened.

What a bummer it didn't
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 10:11:37 PM »

I do agree with you, and if you went to all that work re-theme it and pump it out.....

And if you had that ability then the mm remake was 100% easier given every design aspect was established and zero coding needed.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 10:11:49 PM »

Chris, like this flyer  #@#

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALLY-CROCODILE-HUNTER-OUTBACK-ADVENTURE-PINBALL-MACHINE-FLYER-PROTOTYPE-RARE-/151040089248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232ab0dca0

Yep Luke, that's the one. I have a decent flyer collection. Was happy to pick one up :)

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 10:15:28 PM »

[/quote]

And if you had that ability then the mm remake was 100% easier given every design aspect was established and zero coding needed.
[/quote]

Good point...And even that couldn't get off the ground properly. I guess it's a bit different when large amounts of money is paid for a licence (Australia Zoo and Steve)

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »
thanks for sharing as well as anything else we can add - might become a type of time capsule of what almost could of happened.

What a bummer it didn't

Agree shame we never saw a completed game.

It would be a massive undertaking to build a pin, particularly your first one! No doubt a lot of time and money was sunk into it, then for it to never come to fruition (even tho the theme never appealed to me) its still a shame.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 10:24:14 PM »

Good point...And even that couldn't get off the ground properly. I guess it's a bit different when large amounts of money is paid for a licence (Australia Zoo and Steve)

If the claimed reason for ceasing production, that the estate of Irwin withdraw the license, then you would expect the fees would have had to be refunded.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 11:52:19 PM »
Yes the bulk of the money was apparently spared. However the initial application/lawyer/ artist approval fees went down the drain. Such is life.

Offline baoyar

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 12:54:03 AM »
This sounds like an awesome concepts. Pity it never made it to production! Though I imagine hearing it shout CRIKEY over and over again would get old pretty quick!