Author Topic: Aussie Pin that never got built - Croc Hunter  (Read 17717 times)

Offline dealers choice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
Re: Aussie Pin that never got built - Croc Hunter
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 11:24:46 PM »
The flyer looks great. Its a pitty the machine never went into full production.
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 02:06:44 PM »
Back when I was into pins, most everything I read was from RGP.
I don't know if it was just an odd attitude for the fellers on that site or if they were correct, but back then I got the idea that Wayne G. never did much for pinball ever. After the Medieval Madness madness, once I heard the CH hunter project was scrapped I wasn't surprised at all. I just remember thinking that if half the talk was true and Wayne was as capable of creating a new game from scratch as he was on the MM remake or other (lack of) contributions to pinball, then even if the Irwin family hadn't experienced their tragedy the pinball game would never have reached completion, let alone production.
Again, I don't know how accurate the portrayal of Wayne was and all my info came from RGP. But I am certain that I would have required much proof before sending any money Wayne's direction. There seemed to be a lot of "bad blood" back then.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 05:03:15 AM »
The theme of this game would have been like going to the Australia Zoo, and ther-in lys the problem.

How many times do u visit a Zoo each year before u get bored n think that will do it for another year or two. And why do people go to the Zoo, for the young kids....So, to me, playing this machine would have become very old very quickly in my mind.

Steve was a great ambassador for wildlife n charity etc etc, but how many times could you hear the pinball machine say Crikey, or snake, or crocodile before u would want to turn it off.

The Americans would probably liked the Aussie Wild Bush n Zoo theme alot more because it is new n different to them, but to Aussies, this title would have become a kids corner machine, with adults probably turning their nose up at it rather quickly. just my 2 cents worth.

It seemed to fit 12 and 15 yr old kids alot better like the Ranger Stacey show in the arfternoon 3pm time slot for young girls who want to save dolphins and work at the vet when they grow up....I never thought it would do well here no matter what cause the theme was too Australian n therefore a bit too predictable.....

anyone else think the same ...??  !@# !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 08:15:16 AM »
The theme of this game would have been like going to the Australia Zoo, and ther-in lys the problem.

How many times do u visit a Zoo each year before u get bored n think that will do it for another year or two. And why do people go to the Zoo, for the young kids....So, to me, playing this machine would have become very old very quickly in my mind.

Steve was a great ambassador for wildlife n charity etc etc, but how many times could you hear the pinball machine say Crikey, or snake, or crocodile before u would want to turn it off.

The Americans would probably liked the Aussie Wild Bush n Zoo theme alot more because it is new n different to them, but to Aussies, this title would have become a kids corner machine, with adults probably turning their nose up at it rather quickly. just my 2 cents worth.

It seemed to fit 12 and 15 yr old kids alot better like the Ranger Stacey show in the arfternoon 3pm time slot for young girls who want to save dolphins and work at the vet when they grow up....I never thought it would do well here no matter what cause the theme was too Australian n therefore a bit too predictable.....

anyone else think the same ...??  !@# !@#

I would have to disagree, as that is an odd comparison, I have a creature pinball based on a CFTBL movie and played it probably over 1000 times since owning, of course I wouldn't watch the movie 1000 times but the game is just that a game. We all turn on a game trying to reach the ultimate goal and enjoy the rule set and beat it.

Steve was loved by the US and Aussies and I travelled at the time pre kids to pay my respects and visit and checked out his zoo, what a top aussie.

For me I would love this pin as it would be based on something Aussie and has potential for some fun playfield toys.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 10:43:30 AM »
Back when I was into pins, most everything I read was from RGP.
I don't know if it was just an odd attitude for the fellers on that site or if they were correct, but back then I got the idea that Wayne G. never did much for pinball ever. After the Medieval Madness madness, once I heard the CH hunter project was scrapped I wasn't surprised at all. I just remember thinking that if half the talk was true and Wayne was as capable of creating a new game from scratch as he was on the MM remake or other (lack of) contributions to pinball, then even if the Irwin family hadn't experienced their tragedy the pinball game would never have reached completion, let alone production.
Again, I don't know how accurate the portrayal of Wayne was and all my info came from RGP. But I am certain that I would have required much proof before sending any money Wayne's direction. There seemed to be a lot of "bad blood" back then.

There was a lot of bad blood the day the WMS rights landed on Australian soil. I don't think Croc Hunter would have been a hit as much as a Crocodile Dundee. Regarding the MM remake, I understand that people who bought into the project were paid their deposit upon request. That's a lot better than other games from other distributors who are still fighting for their deposits today !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 03:03:31 PM »
I would have to disagree, as that is an odd comparison, I have a creature pinball based on a CFTBL movie and played it probably over 1000 times since owning, of course I wouldn't watch the movie 1000 times but the game is just that a game. We all turn on a game trying to reach the ultimate goal and enjoy the rule set and beat it.

Steve was loved by the US and Aussies and I travelled at the time pre kids to pay my respects and visit and checked out his zoo, what a top aussie.

For me I would love this pin as it would be based on something Aussie and has potential for some fun playfield toys.

Agree with swinks.

Crocodile Hunter was far more popular in the US than Australia and to his credit WG at least had the foresight to see that you don't eliminate the largest pinball market on the planet when you are trying to build a machine from scratch.  

It may not have sold as well in Australia, but some people really need to start accepting that Australia is a drop in the ocean in terms of total new pinball sales.

Plus Crocodile Hunter to its credit, at least had the ability to be multi-generational as swinks has shown - something that WOZ has also tried to achieve.

There was a lot of bad blood the day the WMS rights landed on Australian soil. I don't think Croc Hunter would have been a hit as much as a Crocodile Dundee. Regarding the MM remake, I understand that people who bought into the project were paid their deposit upon request. That's a lot better than other games from other distributors who are still fighting for their deposits today !

Funnily enough, the private members forum for the original MM remake is still ticking along (albeit slowly).

It seems there are a few diehards hanging in there.

From what I have heard, less than a dozen.

Last post was April 18.

I guess there are only so many ways you can post pictures of troll heads before people decide to jump ship.  &&

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:07:13 PM by pinsanity »

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 03:31:13 PM »
Personally I don't think bad blood due to nationalism entered into but a handful of minds. I doubt reasonable people cared where the ownership lie as long as pinball moved forward. Therein lies the issue I think. Again, it was RGP and lots of volatile personalities and all that so who knows, but the way the scene was portrayed was that Wayne G. seemed to be spending a ton of time filtering through the internet to find targets for sending legal proof of a coveting obsession rather than focusing on the MM remake or even distributing parts so folks could keep their hobby chugging along. Whatever the truth is, it was evident that he was buried in enough distraction that no big pinball project of his stood a chance of reaching fruition. If all who asked got their deposits back, at least the guy deserves credit for not being a thief.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.