Author Topic: Williams Johnny Mnemonic Reconditioning  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Williams Johnny Mnemonic Reconditioning
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:28:18 PM »
Playfield Update

Lots done already. I'm very much "under the pump" with a few jobs I'm doing at the same time, but this restoration is coming along nicely. The more time I spend, the more happier I am with this machine. I took some playfield shots late one afternoon and the effect looked brilliant. This is after several polish and waxes ;

Re commencing re assembly - This is my FAVORITE part of the restoration - when all the new parts come together. Metal is polished, new plastic posts and rubbers, all the metal assemblies are tumbled..

Interesting to note the flyer does not accurately depict the color of the pop bumper skirts. In some games on the web, they are all white, some all black. This game had one black and two white. I settled on all black as they look better than white.

I replace the flipper kits regardless of the current condition. I have to say, this game had all original parts and is easily one of the better games I've worked on. Everything seemed to be original. But I strip everything and replace worn or broken parts within the assemblies. Flipper bushings are an important "consumable" that is mandatory to be replaced in all my restorations or reconditioned games.

The ALWAYS overlooked pop bumper assemblies. Whats the point in installing flipper kits if the pops are no good !

Why rebuild mechanisms if they are working fine ?

1 - Check for worn or broken parts. What's wrong with the assembly below ? The spring is the wrong type.
2 - Change the coil sleeves - mandatory.

Basically, most of the playfield is done at this point ;

Now i move on to the Glove / mini playfield. The mini playfield is stripped and cleaned.

Ramps are perfect. The ramp flaps are a bit discolored. All the hardware is 100%.

Mini playfield and glove assembly

So the bulk of the work is done. I'm just waiting on some electronic parts to rebuild the Driver board - which has the only J120 and J121 that are NOT tarnished or burnt that I've ever come across ! I feel guilty upgrading the caps and bridges !

I'm looking forward to playing this game later this week when done !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia