Author Topic: The Shadow  (Read 487 times)

Offline joele

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
The Shadow
« on: March 21, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »
OK picked up a shadow from ebay for 2k (bit of negotiation, lol) that has pretty good cabinet graphics and very clean (well after grime removed) playfield, most impressed... Previous owner had it for over a decade in private use (receipt still in the machine)..

Now it did have some broken plastics and some horrible sanctum wear.. So replacing plastics, pulled apart and put lexan protector on the playfield, doing LEDs and cleaning it all up, also have back box decals as they are a mess...

I filled the sanctum wear with 2 part car filler and then put the stickers they sell on ebay over it, but a bit annoyed how far out the colour match is, but it is still a lot better than it was and up the back with the lexan protector making the playfield all shiny, it is less obvious than in this picture..

Also wasting money on the machine putting in ColorDMD set on scanlines and blue (sigma firmware), put in rear panel (missing) plastic and got the replacement translite and speaker panel which made a huge improvement to the look of the machine.. Also doing speaker upgrade, though buy parts myself, I don;t use the pinball pro kits as far too expensive for parts you can buy yourself.. I think I may be in about $3.2k or so all up by the time I finish, but it will be a very nice shadow..

Will post more pictures (better quality) as I finish putting it all back together (just got the rest of the plastics today), forgot about before pictures, though ebay listing is below..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/pinball-machine-THE-SHADOW-/301101161631?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item461b071c9f&nma=true&si=lb%252B3FDxSABdrRFlSjy5JKoEZlOs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:24:34 PM by joele »
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro

Offline skywalker

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
Re: The Shadow
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »
Nice Joel,
did you also replace the PF back board decal also, looks great  ^^^

i also bought mine off a guy on ebag last year that had it 4sale for yonks

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 02:12:21 PM »
did you also replace the PF back board decal also, looks great  ^^^

Did yours have anything there? mine was just black, certainly looks better than that, brightens the corner up...

i also bought mine off a guy on ebag last year that had it 4sale for yonks

I don't get why games like this and BSD don't get more love, both were rather cheap and amazing games in my opinion.. I prefer both to a number of the so called 'top 10' games, guess I have strange tastes.. I was at Zax the other day an the response I got to BSD was "you like that?".. ohh well...
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Offline skywalker

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »
thinking of doing mine also

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321300344547?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I'll keep a eye out to see what Led's you use  ()

funny about your comment on BSD, got one of them & would find it hard to move it on, I think you would like JM,
have a keen interest in the underrated B/C titles. Most A titles are built on hype, Sure they look Great, Way over Rated in play & price IMO,

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 02:49:20 PM »
I admit I could never get into that Indiana Jones despite it being a top 10 A title, most of the top 10 titles I have played just don't grab me.. Would gladly sell Tron too, but wife would never allow it..

Yeah if I see a serviceable JM at a decent price I would grab it.. The shadow is almost finished and then have to re-decal Dr who and will be bored again ;-)

Once shadow is finished if you want to see it/LEDs your welcome to come and have a look/play..

Out and BSD are definate keepers as is Dr who but that is based on theme more than anything, haven't played it yet (in pieces)... Judge Dredd I am still on the fence about..
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:52:22 PM by joele »
-----

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »
Great work so far.

Shadow has some great gameplay and features.

It is a shame it often gets overlooked as it is one of the Brian Eddy masterpieces in terms of design.

Can you post up some details on your speaker upgrades?

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »
Can you post up some details on your speaker upgrades?

I was thinking with this title I will take lots of pics of the speaker upgrade process and links to where to buy parts... Might do in separate thread though as more general than just Shadow..
-----

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 12:34:32 PM »
OK putting speaker upgrade details in a separate thread..

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=12277.0
-----

Offline badgap64

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 10:20:42 PM »
I love this machine

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 11:56:51 PM »
I have that same alternate translite and speaker grill on my shadow, is a vast improvement that suits and compliments the rest of the games artwork. Far superior to the Baldwin model.

" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"