Author Topic: Williams Johnny Mnemonic Reconditioning  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Williams Johnny Mnemonic Reconditioning
« on: August 09, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »
Next in line is the underrated Williams Johnny Mnemonic. This was a game imported from the USA out of a private collection and it is probably one of the best DMDs I've seen in a while. I usually title these threads "restorations" but this game is so good there not too much to restore, but I will be going through the full process regardless.

Condition report

Cabinet - 8/10 - Structurally perfect and the only issue is the cabinet fade, which unfortunately is an issue with all JN machines.

Playfield - 10/10 - Excellent. Ramps all good. Zero wear !

Electronics - 10/10 - Very good - no hacks !

This game would easily be at the standard of most dealers as it looks great and is fully playable.

Before Pictures

Cabinet fade. Nothing can be done about it. There is a set of pirate cabinet decals that was installed on a game. Hopefully the new owner never has the need to clean the cabinet as ink from inkjet printers wipes off with nifti !

Excellent playfield

Outhole has ZERO wear

Glove assembly works perfectly

Translite

Underneath the playfield - looks new - Really excellent original condition. I've already disassembled the flippers and the plunger / coil stop are still in very good condition (new kit will be installed regardless).

Playfield teardown

Everything is recorded in pictures and notes. A fairly simply playfield to teardown due to the open playfield design.

Most "shopped" teardowns usually stop at this point, leaving the old metal posts and pop bumper parts intact. This is not a full playfield strip, as there's always filth under the skirts and 90% of games I've restored have had issues with the hardware. I replace ALL pop bumper parts - leaving the old ones in a short cut.

This is a "full strip" or Teardown ;

This is the initial cleaning of the playfield. I will be polishing and waxing as part of the next step.

Cabinet

Everything is removed and cleaned properly. The base was painted white in the factory and came up very well. All the parts are either tumbled, cleaned or replaced.

An order placed with RTBB and re assembly will commence later this week !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Williams Johnny Mnemonic Reconditioning
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:53:25 PM »

Fun game, love the glove!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »
Mint looking pin, hope you got some room to move around  #@#   

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »
JM is an awesome game, in fact probably the fastest machine i have played, the orbit loops are insanely fast.

Do you reckon the white base is factory Nino? I've had 3 and none of them have been white - also with the extra supports in there (between the sides and the base, i wonder if someone has put a new base in? Or it may be an early or late production run...

Also, since you have the transformer removed, i would put a piece of rubber between the transformer and its mounting plate. This takes out the loud hum that comes from most of the late WPC models with the transformer mounted in the back

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 06:49:23 PM »
Mint looking pin, hope you got some room to move around  #@#   

There are two more pins in the garage since you were here, Luke. Another one coming on Sunday  ^&^

JM is an awesome game, in fact probably the fastest machine i have played, the orbit loops are insanely fast.

Do you reckon the white base is factory Nino? I've had 3 and none of them have been white - also with the extra supports in there (between the sides and the base, i wonder if someone has put a new base in? Or it may be an early or late production run...

Also, since you have the transformer removed, i would put a piece of rubber between the transformer and its mounting plate. This takes out the loud hum that comes from most of the late WPC models with the transformer mounted in the back

It is the first I've come across with a white base (that I've paid attention to). I'll keep a lookout with my next few games.

The loud hum is very annoying and it is because it is only an issue with the transformer jumpered for 240V 50Hz. Whisper quiet on 110V 60Hz. The first thing I did was place two rubber strips under the mounting brackets and it is a lot less audible. My CV is the same.

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:33:43 PM »
very nice looking pin! never played one but I like the look of an open playfield and loved the movie!

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 08:52:46 AM »

I have a machine which has that annoying hum. Great tip, thanks.  ^^^

Offline flippnaussie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 01:52:36 PM »
Does the rubber help on all transformer hum?

Simon

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 05:49:29 PM »
It has on any of these late WPC machines that i've had where the transformer is mounted on the back.  Most machiens where it is mounted on the base have minimal hum.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 07:18:14 PM »
Does the rubber help on all transformer hum?

Simon

I'd say it cuts down the hum by 50%. It can be really annoying in a quiet room.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 08:28:18 PM »
Playfield Update

Lots done already. I'm very much "under the pump" with a few jobs I'm doing at the same time, but this restoration is coming along nicely. The more time I spend, the more happier I am with this machine. I took some playfield shots late one afternoon and the effect looked brilliant. This is after several polish and waxes ;

Re commencing re assembly - This is my FAVORITE part of the restoration - when all the new parts come together. Metal is polished, new plastic posts and rubbers, all the metal assemblies are tumbled..

Interesting to note the flyer does not accurately depict the color of the pop bumper skirts. In some games on the web, they are all white, some all black. This game had one black and two white. I settled on all black as they look better than white.

I replace the flipper kits regardless of the current condition. I have to say, this game had all original parts and is easily one of the better games I've worked on. Everything seemed to be original. But I strip everything and replace worn or broken parts within the assemblies. Flipper bushings are an important "consumable" that is mandatory to be replaced in all my restorations or reconditioned games.

The ALWAYS overlooked pop bumper assemblies. Whats the point in installing flipper kits if the pops are no good !

Why rebuild mechanisms if they are working fine ?

1 - Check for worn or broken parts. What's wrong with the assembly below ? The spring is the wrong type.
2 - Change the coil sleeves - mandatory.

Basically, most of the playfield is done at this point ;

Now i move on to the Glove / mini playfield. The mini playfield is stripped and cleaned.

Ramps are perfect. The ramp flaps are a bit discolored. All the hardware is 100%.

Mini playfield and glove assembly

So the bulk of the work is done. I'm just waiting on some electronic parts to rebuild the Driver board - which has the only J120 and J121 that are NOT tarnished or burnt that I've ever come across ! I feel guilty upgrading the caps and bridges !

I'm looking forward to playing this game later this week when done !

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 09:08:31 PM »
Brand spanka new Nino, will be mint when all done  ^^^

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 10:15:52 PM »
Concerning the transformer hum, my Tom was ridiculously noisey and when I took it off the mount and left it on the bottom of the cabinet, it disappeared. Or its that low my I can't hear it. Just a thought.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 07:47:18 AM »
Looks great Nino.  You said you did a few polish and wax applications - what have you found the best number to do. I'm assuming you use novus 2 and carnuba wax applied by hand?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re:
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 09:44:12 AM »
Looks great Nino.  You said you did a few polish and wax applications - what have you found the best number to do. I'm assuming you use novus 2 and carnuba wax applied by hand?

Thanks Rob - Yes - I use Nifti and a rag initially, then I move to Novus 2. Once I'm happy I use the Treasurecove Kit, which I use for almost all my games - but - I'd like to find a local supplier  @@^

Finally I use Meguiars Carnauba paste wax- at least 4 applications. I then buff by hand for the final finish.