Author Topic: Old pinball just moved into ER  (Read 4358 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Old pinball just moved into ER
« on: March 28, 2009, 08:37:22 PM »
Well it had been about 6 months since my last 'pinball hit' and after buying 12 pins last year was really hanging for a fix.

So while speaking with my good mate Michael Shalhoub last week was asking about the new games he will have for sale soon and he mentioned he still had the Gottlieb Thoro-Bred from 1965 for sale. I had seen this game around 12 months ago and it really grabbed my attention. The game needs a heap of work as can be seen in the attachments.

Not sure what it was about this game that screamed at me to save it.

This will be a 12 month project and this is where we sit today. Picked up the pin this morning and have set it up in my gamesroom next to Happy Clown (man, what a name for a pinball  :lol).

The cabinet has been painted - not in the usual white house paint but has some cool original horse art on it. The original design will be pretty easy to reproduce and I will start stripping the cab tomorrow afternoon. The respray of the cab will be first job. After the success of the Apollo respray I'm pumped for this.

The backglass was better that I had originally thought. The reds and browns have issues and have taken better pix and will post early next week. The right lower corner has some issues...but I need to think this backglass is 43 years old. She will come up OK and is the least of my problems right now.

The playfield came already stripped of nearly all parts. All parts supplied in a box except for the flipper shafts - no issue and easily replaced. All playfield plastics in excellent condition. The pop bumper caps have seen better days but they would of been replaced anyway. The playfield will be shipped to Gav after Expo and he will be able to work his magic here. Mechanically the game inside is perfect, even both bell assemblies are present. There is one burnt flipper coil but the entire flipper units will be pulled out and replaced with rebuild kits. There is one score reel missing but that can also be replaced.

So I'm not kidding myself - this is a major piece of work but will be worth it in the end. This game also rates a 8.0 on the IPDB which really surprised me.

I'm heading out now to start on her  *%*
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 09:05:26 PM by illawarra_steelers »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Old pinball just moved into ER
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »

Really nice pin, Tony.

Playfield looks to be in very good condition for its age. Are you going to clearcoat ?

Keep the updates coming mate!
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 08:55:57 PM »
Thats cool tony look forward to your updates. Let me know if you need any parts and ill have a look for ya.

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »

Really nice pin, Tony.

Playfield looks to be in very good condition for its age. Are you going to clearcoat ?

Keep the updates coming mate!

That is upto Mr Retropin  :lol Will leave this one in his hands  *%*

Sad between/around the bumpers and has seen better days around the flippers  !!!

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »
Thats cool tony look forward to your updates. Let me know if you need any parts and ill have a look for ya.

Thanks Daniel - she looks complete - except for a few coils - thanks for the offer.

Also a MEGA THANX for the AWESOME parts picked up yesterday! Sooooo much appreciated!  ^^^

Cheers!

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 09:07:50 PM »
Any time mate whats mine is yours. (PARTS ONLY LOL)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 09:13:19 PM »
Great looking pin Tony..

Couple of questions, whats the go with the middle bumper?  It looks like it has a different base to the others...

And I cannot believe the size of those side outlanes....Man... they are huge!

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 12:38:21 AM »
Thanks Marty,

Just in from stripping the rest of the playfield  ^^^

The centre bumper - it has wire contacts that light the bumpers to advance the targets on the playfield. Have contacted Donal Murphy who does the repro bumper caps for PBR to make sure he can do the centre cap with the horses head - that will be done in a few weeks  #*#

Pulled the rest of the playfield down tonight - really pumped about this.

Even though the IPDB rates this game at 8.0 I'm so pumped about restoring this girl all other projects are on hold. This included a rebuild of Flying Chariots from 63 and Bowling Queen from 64

Both on hold while I work on this game  *%*
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:15:12 PM by illawarra_steelers »

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
Great project Tony,
Looks like it would have some serious pop bumper time with that arrangement in a circle.  Maybe the fast action is why it rates so high?

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 08:44:57 PM »
Centre bumper is a passive mushroom bumper - there are wire contacts protruding though the plastic base that the ball rolls over - i have wondered myself just how crazy this game would be if the centre was not passive. I reckon Tony would be looking at a lot more wear between them!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 10:39:05 PM »
Hmmm, looks like that jockey needs a shave - either that or some pretty aggressive acne happening there!  %.%
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 07:33:07 AM »
Yeah the poor girl - a common problem with glasses from this era. Still she is one beautiful Roy Parker babe  *%*

Finished stripping the cabinet and the playfield is totally stripped and ready to be sent to Gav (after Expo mate, don't stress  :lol)

Will post pix in the next day or 2 - can't remember the last time I was so pumped restoring a pin  !@#

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 07:44:14 PM »
Centre bumper is a passive mushroom bumper - there are wire contacts protruding though the plastic base that the ball rolls over - i have wondered myself just how crazy this game would be if the centre was not passive. I reckon Tony would be looking at a lot more wear between them!

Ahhh ok then   @.@
It would have given some frenzied action if not

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 10:39:26 PM »
Its great to hear tony someone who has restored as many classic \ antique pinballs as you can still get excited by them.  Your an inspiration to nutjobs like me ^^^

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 09:36:49 PM »
Got home early today and dragged the stripped game outside. Got the belt sander out and because the paint is a plastic base the sander doesn't work that well. So looks like the old paint stripper on Saturday  !!!

Hate this method as the fumes suck and it takes longer!

Anyways will prep the cab Sunday ready for the primer and basecoat white the following weekend.

Have been taking pix as I go so will post over the weekend when I have some more time.

Going out now to rebuild some score reel assemblies  *%*