Author Topic: What things / approvals is needed for playfield reproduction  (Read 317 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
What things / approvals is needed for playfield reproduction
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:58:18 AM »
Ok, being currently unemployed at the moment has made me question my abilities and possible opportunities as currently have potentially alot of time (though applying left, right and centre through the day) and no money coming in.

I am hoping to get some discussion from you guys (Strangeways, Retropin, Johngreatwhich, anyone) with skills and knowledge to aid me in some ideas that I have about playfield reproductions, as have some computer art experience (skilled enough to start with basic playfields artwork - I believe) and definitley have CNC experience to draw up, programme and run cnc machining side of things.

Why not have a Aussie based playfield reproduction centre similar to Germany's Micro and Canada's CPR?, great for Aussies but supply the world as well.

I am not saying this is definite just up for discussion.

Ok, I have a 1976 Surf Champ with the playfield slightly planking in one or 2 areas and no one seems to be doing reproduction playfields for the old Gottliebs so this would be a great test pilot.

Is there a reason for this - is Gottlieb a licensing pain in the a##e?
Are inserts available?
Is there a demand for these era playfields and would someone pay $500 for a repro playfield for this era?
What art & manufacturing approval would be required?
Is there copyright on this era?

and

What would be your recommendations be ...... interested to hear opinions
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:01:17 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
I can't help with any of the info your after but very interesting questions you have here. If you have the skills then its worth looking into at least, hopefully you don't find to much red tape in the way. Good luck with it, either way I hope something comes up for you soon.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Contact the right holder and ask them

Reproduction gottlib parts are available, so it is something that can be negotiated

But I will say this as a potential buyer, I am going to be very cautious of new reproduction supplier. I would not buy anything until you have some runs on the board
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:18:38 AM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Jady - I think you should look at this as a hobby business even after you find a "real" job. There's no harm in following your dream.

A quick lesson in Pinball economics. Pinballs were predominantly made in the USA and exported around the world. It its heyday, not that many made it to Australia. Over the last 10 years, more machines have been imported into Australia than in the period before the Video games. My opinion is that there are more games in Australia NOW than there was in the 70's - 80's. There's tons of reasons for this, but for now, the games ARE HERE.

With so many games, there's a massive market for restorations. In the last two years, the market has spawned another niche - High End Restorations. This is where the growth is. Everyone is importing the games, so the market is there, because the opportunity is there.

Ten years ago, I went to Steve Young and asked if I could manufacture Woodrail cabinets. It was a VERY easy process to put an agreement in place, but the timing was not right. so it can be done. Gottlieb licensing is not as hard as the nightmare with WMS.

Gottlieb playfields - CPR and Wade Krauss are making limited runs of well known titles. Your first task is to contact Gottlieb LLC through Steve Young at Pinball Resource and make some enquires. I'm sure you will be able to strike a deal, but make sure you are 100% confident in the long road to acquire tooling, materials and working space. CPR have moved twice since they started, so you need to keep growth in mind. I'm being positive when I mention "growth", because playfield reproductions are in high demand and you need to get them to market in large numbers.

You also have to take into account that some of your customers will be US and Euro. Shipping can be expensive, but if you become established and work with the other repro playfield manufacturers to not overlap in titles, then everyone's happy.

Surf Champ would be a VERY good start.
Royal Flush, Sheriff, Target Apha, Sky Jump - the list goes on.

Bally titles would be a no brainer - Fireball and Old Chicago would be massive.

From my Business' strategy, I track down project games where I know the playfield will be released. So I'm in contact with CPR often, and I plan ahead according to their schedule - which can be as long as a 4 year wait. But if it means I have the opportunity to buy a poor project game knowing the playfield, backglass and plastics are remade, then I'll hoard these titles. If your venture happens to lock in titles such as Surfer, Royal Flush and Old Chicage, then I'll start searching for those titles with poor playfields.

So I would support the venture by buying several playfields of each title. I currently have around 16 repro playfields, and only half of them are for games in the restoration queue, or games I own.

From my point of view, I should have started my restoration business 10 years ago. The work is out there. The demand is well over my expectations, and the growth is in High end Restorations. The more repro playfields, the more High End Restorations. Hobbyists are starting to learn how to replace their own games' playfields.

I don't know the technical side of things, but I know the market. It would work.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
I concur with all Ninos comments.

I started Homepin as a "hobby business" - not registered for GST and not even a registered business name. I had no idea if it would 'work' or not and didn't particularly care if it did. It was (and still is) what I like to do and there lies the most important difference.

If you start ANY business because you need or want money the chances of success are greatly diminished IMO.

If you LOVE doing what you propose then forget about the money as it will come.

Good luck with it - I am sure it would succeed.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Thanks guys for the comments, very much appreciated as some of the info gives me some direction.

In the end I would not do it intentionally as a business to survive from, merely one that I can combine my passions together and maybe there is an opportunity to cover my costs and go from there in the future.

I will definitely start by contacting Steve Young and go from there re the surf champ playfield and learn from there, you just never know.

I have also a few other Pin-gineering ideas to concept out, and will share in good time if it works.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline coon82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Good on you Swinks for thinking outside of the square, and looking into how you can use your skills in a hobby you are passionate about.

Good luck on the job front too!
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)