Author Topic: maybee it's just me but are modern Stern's hard to work on  (Read 443 times)

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
maybee it's just me but are modern Stern's hard to work on
« on: August 16, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
Just read the thread on changing the position of outlane posts. Reminded me of when I went to change the position of the posts on my AC/DC pro. Should be a very simple 5 minute job right?
Now I'm no pinball tech and maybe it's just that I don't have the right tools or no how but after examining what I needed to move to get to them (ramps or slingshots I cant 100% recall) I decided it was all too hard and left them. I have changed them and many other things on other machines without any problems.
Another time I had to change one of the flasher globes under the red plastic covers on bottom of the right hand ramp...once again I found it a big job just to change a globe I had to take the ramp off and turn it upside down to get the clearance I needed. Can't remember off the top of my head but there have been a few other maintenance issues that have seemed a lot more work than they have on my other machines.
Don't get me wrong I love the game. Is it just me or have others found the same thing?

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Yeah I agree the easiest job can turn into a Right royal pain in the ring lol , Bally's had twist flasher domes 1 minute job but Stern make it bloody hard just to swap a Flasher  @.@

Peter

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Yes, some parts of the playfields are definite pains and time wasters to get to, even for a general clean and polish. Speaking of the red flasher on AC/DC, I changed mine 4 times and found that you get better and quicker each time. I got sick of changing it before I realised there might be a problem there and sure was. The right hand side of the canon wiring was touching the flasher holder and shorting out the bulb, problem fixed.
The bottom flasher plastics on Avengers are simple twist offs so maybe Stern are getting the message to keep it simple.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Sounds like they're made for home users as ops would be pissed to spend that much time on site for globe.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Try locating and buying Whitestar CPU boards. Even Stern don't know the part number !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Try locating and buying Whitestar CPU boards. Even Stern don't know the part number !

Yes, many of them are battery damaged.

We are working on a "daughter board" that will sit on top of the RHS which is the most prone to battery damage so you can still use the LHS audio part of the original board as it is mostly surface mount but reliable.

The add-on board will sit on top of the original and hard wire to about 20 points on the original PCB

This is still a long way off at this stage.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE

Are they the boards used in twister Nino?

Peter

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
I was a STERN hater, but after working on and shopping out a few I must say I am impressed.
Electronically I can not comment as I dislike this side of pinball, only good thing is that they are still relative clean to work on as they are not as old as BALLY, Williams, Gottlieb etc.etc.
Also parts are a little easier to get a hold of. The manuals are VERY VERY good.
The play fields are also very strong as after seeing quite a few operated games, these still come up a treat with little work.
SOME bits I would like to change, but hey, cost/ profit ratio would make them unobtainable for the average punter!
It is all pinball, it is all good!  ^^^

If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Peter

Different revisions, Peter. The Whitestar Board I've tried chasing up with Stern (for around 3 months) is 520-5300-00. I've been back and forth with distributors and Stern "tech support" several times. All I can say is if you own a late model Stern, change the batteries often, as Stern don't even know the part numbers or revisions of their own boardsets, AND if any are available ! you would think their "engineers" would factor in a remote battery pack after learning from the mistakes of the 70's manufacturers ?

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:

Peter

Different revisions, Peter. The Whitestar Board I've tried chasing up with Stern (for around 3 months) is 520-5300-00. I've been back and forth with distributors and Stern "tech support" several times. All I can say is if you own a late model Stern, change the batteries often, as Stern don't even know the part numbers or revisions of their own boardsets, AND if any are available ! you would think their "engineers" would factor in a remote battery pack after learning from the mistakes of the 70's manufacturers ?

Does this apply to the battery in acdc Niño? I didn't see any standard AA type battery's in there all I could saw was one of those flat silver disc type battery's and didn't think I would have to worry about leakage from this type of battery?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:53:00 PM by spacejam0 »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Peter

Does this apply to the battery in acdc Niño? I didn't see any standard AA type battery's in there all I could saw was one of those flat silver disc type battery's and didn't think I would have to worry about leakage from this type of battery?

Nascar was the last Stern to use a Whitestar board. The board AC/DC has is different. Those batteries don't tend to leak, but it is always a good idea to replace them every 1-2 years.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Nino, what game did the board you are looking for come out of. I do have some spare boards which may or may not suit.....?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Nino, what game did the board you are looking for come out of. I do have some spare boards which may or may not suit.....?

"Lord of the Rings"

I had the option of using Greg's T3 CPU board, which was incidentally a Factory replacement with original batteries - but - typically of Stern, the batteries had leaked all over the brand new FACTORY board.

AMD were very helpful. Stern USA took around 6 months to provide a replacement, which I found disgraceful. The price was reflective of their customer service and technical knowledge. Suffice to say I'd never want to own a late model Stern without an extended warranty !