Author Topic: Now that was way too long a wait - Just welcomed RFM into the line up!  (Read 4448 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

I have ummed and arred about getting a RFM for 10 years - seriously! I almost bought one a few months before locating an AFM (and that was 10 years ago this December).

Later I got put off by the PC failure risk. Then I was going to buy one when Nucore hit the market - but they got thin on the ground and went up in price.

Now they can be had for well under $3K, and at half to a third of the cost of an AFM (if you can find one for sale), they are a great buy.

Good as AFM? No, not quite, although not far off. But as a game on its own merits - well after a bunch of games this week and a night playing only this with Timbo last night, we came to the conclusion that this game is nothing short of wonderful. You can read opinions in IPDB, but in the end it comes down to playing one yourself, and frankly I love this game!

Big thanks to Oscar http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?board=124.0 for sourcing the game for me at a great price, and because I can't lift for a couple more months, organising delivery for a small fee to Geelong. Great service, much appreciated!

Greg www.rtbb.com.au sent me down some targets to replace a couple that were not original, and a proper P2K flipper kit, and I think I'll be spending the weekend on this game playing and trying to get to that wizard mode!

Playfield is almost perfect, and we'll re-do the cabinet decals shortly so it will look the part as the originals have 14 years of exposure, so will benefit from replacement. But that's about all that will need to be done to bring this to A1 condition.

Big thanks to Dan riverinapinball for help with the game code update.

Here's some photos......

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Congrats, looks like you picked up a nice example.
Good fun game, I had one in the lineup for a while but I found it way too easy and moved it on.
It's my favourite pin to play when drunk though and the kids miss it, it was the pin they played the most.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Congrats on the purchase and well done to all involved  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Nice one Nick.  RFM is a fun game and for those who like to have a varied line up it fits in very very well.  I wouldn't mind buying another one some day.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Cool
Nice pickup

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
Looking good there Nick.
Your display looks pretty good. If you find it is dark during some of the animations like Martian Happy Hour. The video amp mod may be a good idea.
Other again looks good. My RFM was my first pinball purchase . I too bought it from Oscar. My cabinet is quite rough though. I replace those standup targets as well, and lots of switches. I had to clean up the drop target mech, as i would drop very slowly.
I having been playing it with v1.6 . No resets during Martian Bowling so far..

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Looks very nice - pity it's laying on its side - do you ned a hand to pick it up???

%.%
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Looking good there Nick.
Your display looks pretty good. If you find it is dark during some of the animations like Martian Happy Hour. The video amp mod may be a good idea.
Other again looks good. My RFM was my first pinball purchase . I too bought it from Oscar. My cabinet is quite rough though. I replace those standup targets as well, and lots of switches. I had to clean up the drop target mech, as i would drop very slowly.
I having been playing it with v1.6 . No resets during Martian Bowling so far..

Display is particularly good compared to a lot I have seen, but having watched some vids on the link you provided, the amp would still improve a lot.

But, brown connector sadly, and I am not confident fiddly with monitor stuff, very foreign to me and scared of messing something up. WG monitor though, maybe that has helped it retain it's quality?

And zero software issues, but I didn't play it with the 1.1 it came with much, got your 1.6 into it pretty much right away.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Looks very nice - pity it's laying on its side - do you ned a hand to pick it up???

%.%

Yes mate - if you are down this way dropping over to your mate WG for a chat and a coffee any time soon, you could pop down the highway and give me a hand, thanks!!

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
Great game! Well done.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
Cool game. Only thing is if you stand over 6ft tall, it quickly becomes apparent that the monitor was designed to be viewed from an adverage height of 5'10. Sort of have to bend down to view the monitor.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Nice Nick great game I regret Selling mine.  I do have a brand new ramp tucked away from when I had mine if you ever need one

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Nice Nick great game I regret Selling mine.  I do have a brand new ramp tucked away from when I had mine if you ever need one

Which ramp mate, might be interested.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong

Which ramp mate, might be interested.

Can't remember mate I bought it years ago.  Ill have a look when I get home next week

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Great pick up, you'll love the wizard mode. Its neat but challenging to get a real good score on. Using the secondary buttons is the key but can also be your downfall.
Still loving my Metallica Premium