Author Topic: Chip board is munted please help!  (Read 454 times)

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Chip board is munted please help!
« on: September 21, 2013, 11:13:17 PM »
I recently purchased a SUPER STRAIGHT from a WA member ( cheers Ted ) and was considering building a new cabinet as the old chip board is fingered!  ^&^
What I am asking, and hoping for, is any tips on sealing and strengthening this dodgy chip board as the art work is not your usual stencil work and it appears to be direct printed? it needs to be preserved.
It is a nice fast EM and was made in Spain by SONIC in the middle 70's and as the back glass and play field are quite nice I really think it should have original cabinet and artwork too.
Please help if you can as I need some feed back, I really have no idea on how to address this issue.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Re: Chip board is munted please help!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »
tad more

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 07:50:33 AM »
The rear of the cabinet could be replaced with a new piece of ply. All other cabinet areas need to have PVA glue applied (plenty of it) to hold it all together and prevent from getting any worse.(Allow to dry for at least a week).
Apply a 25mm x 25mm PVC strip to the base of the cabinet as pictured (Glue with Liquid nails and clamp), paint to match. Others may have more ideas!

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
Load it up with KBS diamond clear?

Offline wiredoug

• Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »
new cab and a pro signwriter

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »
The rear of the cabinet could be replaced with a new piece of ply. All other cabinet areas need to have PVA glue applied (plenty of it) to hold it all together and prevent from getting any worse.(Allow to dry for at least a week).
Apply a 25mm x 25mm PVC strip to the base of the cabinet as pictured (Glue with Liquid nails and clamp), paint to match. Others may have more ideas!
Sounds fair, will be fun to match the old paint/ink
PVC strip is good idea and yours looks pretty good

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »
Chipboard is hard to repair. Once the moisture has expanded the fibers, it really is hard to fix. The cabinet should be the same dimensions as a Williams 4 player EM. I'd be keeping an eye out for projects on fleabay with the view of replacing the cab and repainting. It is a lot of effort, but if the game is a keeper, then that's the best outcome.

The problem with repairing chipboard is that when you try to paint over sanded areas, it looks uneven. The finish will look out of place.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »

Best idea I reckon.   *%*
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »

If I wanted to throw a lot of money at it I would, but, I don't think it deserves it.

Appreciate all the comments and feed back
Keep em coming

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 08:52:56 PM »

If I wanted to throw a lot of money at it I would, but, I don't think it deserves it.

Appreciate all the comments and feed back
Keep em coming

Talk to Spriggy about replicating the art with photo's and photoshop, then just stay on the look out for a suitable williams cab.
I'm sure they're out there.
You don't have to do anything with the art but at least you'll have it if you want to do anything with it in the future.
I don't think fixing the cab you have is going to turn out well. :(
Shame really 'cause the art does look good.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline spriggy

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 11:44:17 PM »
Preserving this cab art properly will take time whatever way you attack it.  Off course accuracy should always rule.  Guessing or cutting corners doesn't cut it, imo.  If your obtaining or building another cab.. there's no rush anyway.
2 ways to attack this imo.  You either trace it accurately with a good relevant paper medium and roll it away for a rainy day.. or you scan the artwork straight off the cab and compile the images via pc software.  I use Photoshop (raster) or Illustrator (vector).  
Photoshop manipulation of the scanned files will give you a large, raster, high quality file of the art you can file away or use however you see fit (decals, maniuplate for stencils)
Illustrator compilation is simply digitally tracing the artwork ... as you would with tracing paper and a pencil.  However in this case, we would trace the scanned artwork using PC software.  ie place the scanned artwork on the screen and individually trace every line/curve using vector lines, curves etc.  This then allows you to create different layers for different colors (ideal for printing mulitple stencils via print / signwriting shops) It also allows you to scale the image to what ever size you like without losing quality, as it just resizes the traced lines via algorithm.  This is how signwriters print f%&K-off sized signs so clearly.
Here is a good tutorial on how I use to scan artwork off cabinets, when I was involved in arcade artwork restoration .. http://www.rotheblog.com/2008/04/tutorials-arcade/scanning-arcade-game-sideart/.  Bit of a head f$%k ... but it works very well.
In this case, Photoshop is not as time consuming as Illustrator.  Both have their pros and cons, depending on a few factors... which is another story that could be discussed later if your interested.
Any accurate digital manipulation would still need you to measure x/y reference points (from vertical/horizontal cabinet edges)  on the cabinet art, so they can be used to check the digital files for accuracy.  
I could help you if you want to take the photoshop option (ie stitch, clean and compile the scans).  I don’t have time to take the Illustrator option though mate.  To much of my own shit to do:)
Cheers
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:46:21 PM by spriggy »

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »
Preserving this cab art properly will take time whatever way you attack it.  Off course accuracy should always rule.  Guessing or cutting corners doesn't cut it, imo.  If your obtaining or building another cab.. there's no rush anyway.
2 ways to attack this imo.  You either trace it accurately with a good relevant paper medium and roll it away for a rainy day.. or you scan the artwork straight off the cab and compile the images via pc software.  I use Photoshop (raster) or Illustrator (vector).  
Photoshop manipulation of the scanned files will give you a large, raster, high quality file of the art you can file away or use however you see fit (decals, maniuplate for stencils)
Illustrator compilation is simply digitally tracing the artwork ... as you would with tracing paper and a pencil.  However in this case, we would trace the scanned artwork using PC software.  ie place the scanned artwork on the screen and individually trace every line/curve using vector lines, curves etc.  This then allows you to create different layers for different colors (ideal for printing mulitple stencils via print / signwriting shops) It also allows you to scale the image to what ever size you like without losing quality, as it just resizes the traced lines via algorithm.  This is how signwriters print f%&K-off sized signs so clearly.
Here is a good tutorial on how I use to scan artwork off cabinets, when I was involved in arcade artwork restoration .. http://www.rotheblog.com/2008/04/tutorials-arcade/scanning-arcade-game-sideart/.  Bit of a head f$%k ... but it works very well.
In this case, Photoshop is not as time consuming as Illustrator.  Both have their pros and cons, depending on a few factors... which is another story that could be discussed later if your interested.
Any accurate digital manipulation would still need you to measure x/y reference points (from vertical/horizontal cabinet edges)  on the cabinet art, so they can be used to check the digital files for accuracy.  
I could help you if you want to take the photoshop option (ie stitch, clean and compile the scans).  I don’t have time to take the Illustrator option though mate.  To much of my own shit to do:)
Cheers

Autocad works for the line work and is a bit easier than Illustrator.
Once the line work is done the rest can be easily done in Illustrator

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »
Thanks Elkor and Spriggy,  ^^^ this is way too much work for this old girl.
I must say though that I never knew you could do this ( bet not many people did? ) so I am still considering saving what is left.
Good thing is that it appears to be cosmetic and not structural. I have done some reading on woodworking forums and they suggest mixing 1 part PVA to 3 parts water and applying liberally, this will bind the original fibres back together then after 24 hours you can bog and paint.
I really don't want to spend alot of $$ on this old girl, just make her play really well and last a bit longer. Oh and keep me amused .
If it was a keeper and/or sought after title I would definitely consider the scan and print option.
The ideas that are coming forth are really cool and hopefully people will get some good info or options on this problem.

Offline spriggy

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 12:57:59 PM »

Autocad works for the line work and is a bit easier than Illustrator.
Once the line work is done the rest can be easily done in Illustrator

Illustrators pathfinder option makes lines a breeze.  I use to use cad+illustrator in some of my early work ... but after 10 years of Illustrator and a good Illustrator bible .. I eventually wrapped my fat head around it :)  Cad does make line work easy as well though.

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 02:31:03 AM »
Hey Andy , What about a new box which i thought you got  when you got the machine? And have a full decal made , so don"t rub it back yet! Get some good side on photos and i will speak to Steve my slack arse signwriter! Chip board is bad!! You fix one spot then another part breaks off , You can seal it but this expands it even more and you will never get a good flat surface and would look like shite no matter what you do! i would burn it when you get it sorted, !*!
One-Ball!