Author Topic: Stern - Star Trek 2013 - Reviews / Thoughts  (Read 3613 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Stern - Star Trek 2013 - Reviews / Thoughts
« on: September 23, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »
I don't have enough games up my sleeve to rave or knock this game but just wanted to share some thoughts to help those considering wanting to buy one, but it did have a good first impression.

I just got back playing this at the Commonwealth Hotel in Newcastle (Aus) and had 6 games. Here are my thoughts for anyone curious / interested:
- the missions are clear with the determined RGB colour display displayed in the main arrow inserts. I am not the best player but on the first game I nearly got all six missions but missed out on completing the sixth mission - so sure there is still some code and missions to add in there to make it more challenging for the better players.
- the ramp that you hit with the top right flipper is lighting fast around to your bottom flipper and the other 2 ramps return the ball fast as well.
- I managed to destroy the vengeance Space Ship and it does a sparky action where it shakes wildly around (hence the big spring) with the rear jet parts hitting the glass but it doesn't lower near the playfield to be hit by a ball.
- I haven't seen the movie or tv series as not a trek fan but the game looks good though would of been cool to see a Space Ship in the translite instead of movie characters. If the pros weren't $6950 here in Aus I would be tempted to buy one as overall I like the look, play and feel of the game.
- the dmd surround doesn't look that bad and the angle definitely improves the reduction of glare on to the glass so an improvement there and the backbox is the same design as the Avengers LE backboxes.
- game looks great with mirror blades and nice action with the shaker as well - I reckon black mirror blades will look great in this game.
- not that I saw alot of the dots, they looked good
- first pro to have full leds was a nice improvement but again bet that is part of the reason for the price upgrade.
- the sound effects were cool - real spacie and obviously quotes from the movie but guessing there as haven't seen the Into the Darkness as yet.
- the sound was great as well and sure it had a sub upgrade as had a dramatic bassie sound to the game

- there are so many features I am sure I didn't work out, discover or haven't been completed in code. One feature I was curious about and liked because it was different was the exit lane behind the top right flipper that had a flashing arrow stating - " Away Team ". You can open it up and shoot from the left flipper but didn't seem to activate something unless it was missing code or I missed a required action ????

Overall I think Stern have done well apart from the price increase.....

Heard that only 30 ST LE's will be coming to Aus and won't be here until November.... so guessing premiums won't be until end of the year....
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline shaneo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Canbraahh
Re: Stern - Star Trek 2013 - Reviews / Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »
Thanks for the honest review. I'm pretty keen on one of these and have been told the local Costco have one so we are going out there tmrw to check it out. Not sure of the model though  !@)

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 04:40:31 AM »
 :D

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 08:43:17 AM »
Thanks for the honest review. I'm pretty keen on one of these and have been told the local Costco have one so we are going out there tmrw to check it out. Not sure of the model though  !@)

I would be interested to know if Canberra Costco is selling Star Trek Pins and how much??

Offline shaneo

• Forum Posts:
  • Canbraahh
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »

I would be interested to know if Canberra Costco is selling Star Trek Pins and how much??
I am going to try and get out there this afternoon and will report back. I've heard they have the display unit on freeplay so it may be a fun day. I'll report back the findings.