Author Topic: Gottlieb El Dorado EM - Fluctuating power issue  (Read 226 times)

Offline pinballnz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • New Zealand
    • Pinball NZ
Gottlieb El Dorado EM - Fluctuating power issue
« on: October 04, 2013, 10:12:56 AM »
Hi

my game has weak flippers and pops until you keep playing and hit a few targets or drain and sometimes the power comes back to full strength.

There is no common target or same ball drain that causes it.

I thought it was the mains fuseholder as 1 end looked a bit suspect and it wasnt gripping the fuse as well as it could be so I adjusted it and the game played fine. Last night I powered it on and played 2 5 ball games on it before the power came back to full strength.

Could it be a transformer issue? I will power it on and leave it for 10 mins and see if that makes a difference tonight.

The hold relay seems to be ok.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Clive

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Gottlieb El Dorado EM - Fluctuating power issue
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 11:17:50 AM »
Hi

my game has weak flippers and pops until you keep playing and hit a few targets or drain and sometimes the power comes back to full strength.

There is no common target or same ball drain that causes it.

I thought it was the mains fuseholder as 1 end looked a bit suspect and it wasnt gripping the fuse as well as it could be so I adjusted it and the game played fine. Last night I powered it on and played 2 5 ball games on it before the power came back to full strength.

Could it be a transformer issue? I will power it on and leave it for 10 mins and see if that makes a difference tonight.

The hold relay seems to be ok.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Clive

Dont think it would be a transformer issue, they either work or they don't work.
Sounds like a switch or connection issue, turn the lights off and lift up the playfield you might see a relay arcing

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb El Dorado EM - Fluctuating power issue
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 11:35:44 AM »
Clive,

Do you have schematics ? I'm going off a Pro Football schematic, which is a bit different, but the flipper coils have common 25V to all other coils. The fuse holder and also the "bounce" switch complete the circuit, so I'd be looking at the bounce switch next. It is a simple "tilt" switch on the bottom board. Use a jumper to short it out and play a few games.

Clean the flipper cabinet switches.

Check the "ball return control relay". This is "Q" on the PF schematic. This also completes the circuit for the flippers ONLY. This is the more likely issue.

As mentioned, transformers either work or fry !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinballnz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • New Zealand
    • Pinball NZ
My mate discovered the ball count unit had a set of switches that needed a clean and adjustment. He says the game is fixed!

Great news!

Thanks for your replies guys.
Clive