Author Topic: embryon pf resto worth it advice  (Read 430 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
embryon pf resto worth it advice
« on: October 05, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »
Would like some thoughts on what other members would do if in my position. The game is an embryon and it will be a keeper due to the me liking looks and game play of this title.

It does have wear in the usual top lock area and planking as well as Mylar that is in good condition,

I'm considering a high end resto on the Pf but don't know if I'm going over the top seeing most of these restos are on dmd games or highly desirable ss like paragon. Do you think I'm maybe over spending on such a title in your opinion? I could try doing it myself but I do know finding another Pf is near impossible if I stuff up. Or should I just leave it and save the cash for something more worthwhile.

I know its a personal preference thing but I am interested in any thoughts. Thanks

Btw the backglass is average condition and cabinet needs repainting but still acceptable. Electronically plays perfectly
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: embryon pf resto worth it advice
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 08:27:15 PM »

As you said, definitely a personal preference thing. For example, I am about to repaint my Black Hole, and Tim is currently restoring the playfield. Taking account of the purchase price of the base game, the dollars and time spent doing the electronics mods, the failed playfield restoration in the US, the cost of the current playfield resto, etc - this game will owe much, much more than it would be worth to sell (although it will be pristine when done, so who knows....). I guess the point is, if the game is a genuine keeper for you (as BH is for me), then a "no expense spared" restoration if not about what it owes at the end, but about what the finished game means to you.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 09:25:21 PM »
+1 if you are going to keep it anyway then it doesn't matter how much you spend on it, totally up to you and your funds. 

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »
Keeper = money is no object !

Embryon is a game I would not hesitate to have professionally restored. In fact, I want mine restored and clearcoated. Same with Paragon. I think "Holy Grail" pinballs should have the kitchen sink thrown at them and Keepers are not too far behind.

I'm in exactly the same boat Rob, and I'm definitely restoring mine.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 10:17:38 PM »

Embryon is a game I would not hesitate to have professionally restored. In fact, I want mine restored and clearcoated. Same with Paragon. I think "Holy Grail" pinballs should have the kitchen sink thrown at them and Keepers are not too far behind.

Totally agree  *%* *%* If its a holy grail title and a keeper then no expense should be spared  *%*

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »

thanks guys please understand my asking as sometimes a person can lose sight on reality and regret it later like moding cars to the point they have cost too much and sometimes stop working due to the tinkering.

I've had this game for a little while and it has grown very much on me hence my thinking of making it real nice. And yes Nino there may be a kitchen sink involved and it may be thrown at me by the wife  %.% nah she's pretty good to me.

Thanks again for the advice, I think I'll contact Tim and Nino to do their various talents on it in the near future.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 08:38:52 AM »
The earlier posts say it all. This is one of the few Bally sleepers and I have never seen one. A good restore with dollar and time spent will mean that you will have a rare and desirable machine from the golden era. Lucky you kept it all those years.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline ghali

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kingsbury VIC
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »
If it's worth it to you, it's worth it.

My Gorgar has been getting the high end treatment for the last 2 years (and counting)  Tim's been working on the pf for the last 12 months. I had a brand new bg and full set of brand new pinballpcb.com circuit boards shipped over from the states.

I estimate when I finally finish, he'll owe me over 5k.
VUK you!

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 11:41:03 AM »
If you think it's a keeper go for it. My Paragon isn't back together yet and it's cost me around 6 k so far.
Read the posts, there are certainly lots of SS machines still getting the full treatment. ^^^

Offline wiredoug

• Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 01:02:44 PM »
Just dont expect to get the money or the time back when you sell it.  It will be worth what someone will pay, not what you spent.
If you can afford it and it makes you happy. Its totally worth it.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 02:59:09 PM »
Its always worth restoring a PF.. even more so if you can do it yourself.
Not many people like to do this kind of work commercially as the time spent is not worth the end cost... hours far exceed payment. If you do get it done outside, don't expect to get it back anytime soon.. its a long and laborious exercise and one that many a restorer will have to walk away from time to time just to keep sane.
But bottom line " is Embryon worth it?"... absolutely, its a rare and exciting Bally title with a killer BG. Not many come up for sale and if they do they are worn to a nubbin... why?? Cos its a bloody great player!

..LOL- wish it were mine

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 09:56:15 PM »
It's a beautiful looking game Rob ( in pictures anyway, never seen one in the flesh unfortunately). You just can't beat the art work on the Bally's of that era. As others have said, I think that If it's a keeper then cost is secondary and if it was mine I'd go for it for sure.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 10:33:47 PM »
Thanks guys have contacted Tim on the playfield resto and will send him some photos. Hopefully Nino might be willing to try the cabinet side of things. My only real concern is the time factor, I dunno if I could handle it off the road for 12 months  !!! I'll see.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 01:08:22 AM »
Thanks guys have contacted Tim on the playfield resto and will send him some photos. Hopefully Nino might be willing to try the cabinet side of things. My only real concern is the time factor, I dunno if I could handle it off the road for 12 months  !!! I'll see.

Tim is the man with the playfield restoration - especially when they are really bad. Cabinet would be straight forward. I need to get Gav to do a set of stencils for mine, so now he has two customers  for these stencils @@^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 01:27:22 AM »
OK!!! EMBRYON it is!.. after PARAGON though.
Hours and hours vectorising on the computer. time ill never get back in my life... hate computers...its hot outside and I could be in the pool... mumble mumble.
They will be top notch though and the best on the market.... bloody guarantee that