Author Topic: cftbl lcd mod & colour dmd,fuse f116 keeps blowing during attract mod  (Read 2132 times)

Offline pinwaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • clackers
 Hi guys,

Installed AWESOME cftbl lcd mod & colour dmd ,fuse f116 keeps blowing during attract mod,
doesn't blow fuse during game play tho.
Thank for any help..
Pinball its more than just a game

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Obvious question I guess but did you check the manual for the correct value and type of fuse for F116?

Do the makers of the DMD/LCD suggest upping the value of any fuses as their unit 'might' draw a little more current???
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
F116 should be a 3 amp slow blow
I would suggest first disconnecting the LCD then see if the fuse blows in attract mode.
If it doesn't' then try doing the same with the color DMd.

You will either find that one of them is " breaking the camels back" so to speak by over loading the unregulated 12 volt circuit or one of the items have a fault

I know that the color DMd manufacture suggests that you plug it into the unregulated 12v line and do not suggest running it off anything else.

There are no specs on how many milliamps the color DMD draws in paper work supplied with the DMD but if need be I can do a test on the one I have here.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
 Just for reference the color DMD draws 570ma from the +12v unregulated source and  3.4ma  from the +5 volt source

If the LCD for the under the play field is drawing the same amount then between the 2 of them you may have just over an extra amp on the 12v supply which only has a 3 amp fuse so you may be exceeding the capabilities of the un regulated 12 volt supply

That's just one possible reason why the fuse is blowing
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
I've had the LCD mod installed for quite a while with no probs , but haven't bought a colour DMD yet , so can't help you unfortunately .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Seems that cftbl owners cannot have all the mods :(

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
The original power supplies struggle as it is in most WMS machines. Adding this, that and even more of something strains them to breaking point.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
might be time to design an aux 12Vdc supply,

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:29:47 PM by beaky »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
might be time to design an aux 12Vdc supply,

+1 to that

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
If the machine had LEDs fitted to all its controlled play field lamps then a plug and play style approach could be taken off the ac supply that supplies the controlled lamp circuit.
It would have to have its own bridge rectifier.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
If the machine had LEDs fitted to all its controlled play field lamps then a plug and play style approach could be taken off the ac supply that supplies the controlled lamp circuit.
It would have to have its own bridge rectifier.

............and regulator..............and seperate fuse...............and some way of connecting and mounting the board.................this is when the costs start to spiral out of control.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
I may as we'll make up one for my self
I have a customer who has a cftbl and he wants me to fit both the LCD display under the play field and a color dmd.
I will let you know how it goes

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
I have a customer who has a cftbl and he wants me to fit both the LCD display under the play field and a color dmd.

There are two main things stopping me from developing this as a project.

First is wiring looms - my guys HATE making up looms and leads as it is painful and time consuming and brain dead type work

Second is every time I have released a product that requires wiring or a little bit of soldering etc from the end user it ends in tears for me having to explain what and how to do stuff and it is VERY time consuming.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW

I, for one , will be very interested to hear how it goes Beaky . I'd really like to get a colour DMD for my CFTBL in the near future.

Cheers
Dave

Offline RatBag

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
For the sake of the exercise change BR5 and C30 and reflow/replace J112