Author Topic: removing dmd playfields  (Read 407 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
removing dmd playfields
« on: October 20, 2013, 10:28:40 PM »
Dunno if this has been covered before and I did manage to get my tz Pf out but it was a mighty heavy struggle. Is there a tried and true method of removing the Pf. I know getting my space invaders and funhouse ones out were as simple as lift to vertical and then pull out.

On the tz I did the vertical but then held like hell and removed the pin nut the arms would slot and lock into. Then cam the big lift. I am sure there's gotta be an easier way  *%*
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: removing dmd playfields
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:59:52 AM »
During my restorations, I remove as much of the playfield components as possible until I can lift out the playfield easily. There's no way a populated ST TNG can be removed without 2 people. Just make sure all the wiring is already out the game or loose wires can wrap around speakers etc.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
During my restorations, I remove as much of the playfield components as possible until I can lift out the playfield easily. There's no way a populated ST TNG can be removed without 2 people. Just make sure all the wiring is already out the game or loose wires can wrap around speakers etc.

thanks for the advice, unfortunately the tz pf was still fully populated. Mind you the metal buttons in my arms holding the tendons did their job  %.%

What I couldn't work out is how to free the pf from the side sliding rails apart from supporting it and removing the slotted nuts that engage when you fully pull the pf forward. I'm guessing I should have only slid it half way or something and then tried to lift it out horizontally as opposed to vertically like I did.

The positive side to the story is I could feel muscles in my back that I never knew I had and I think they're still there........well maybe??

Offline flippnaussie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:39:19 PM »
I had problems with my sliders/locks. So the play field was lifted and moved out, but not all the way, then un-screw the sliders from the playfield.

Seems to be ok on a getaway HS2.

Simon.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
I had problems with my sliders/locks. So the play field was lifted and moved out, but not all the way, then un-screw the sliders from the playfield.

Simon.
thanks Simon, did you do the opposite to reinstall or did you have to install the rails first and do something else

Offline dendoc

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 04:33:06 PM »
Had exactly same problem with my TZ and STTNG when fitting mirrorblades/side decals. These wide bodies are different than the standards due to their bulk. Destroyed the springs on my TZ tryign to get it out as they got caught on the way.

With they were all like RFM

Offline flippnaussie

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »

Simon.
thanks Simon, did you do the opposite to reinstall or did you have to install the rails first and do something else

Yep,
It was a little tricky to get the playfield upright but with a little care it can be done.
Simon.

Offline Pajo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
Aside from probably being the best resto thread I've ever read, this link has a great description of how to remove a playfield properly:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:24:58 PM by Pajo »

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »
Aside from probably being the best resto thread I've ever read, this link has a great de******ion of how to remove a playfield properly:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started
thank you very much it is a great resto piece. will be taking a closer look at the rest of it.