Author Topic: Revenge from Mars restore thread  (Read 1296 times)

Offline joele

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Revenge from Mars restore thread
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
Thought I would document everything here, I just picked up a Revenge from Mars which is all working 100% but is rather rough around the edges..

- Just cleaning up the playfield, will do some touch up with acrylic and put one of the lexan playfield protectors on it for now, don't want to spend too much time/money on it, maybe one day I will find a replacement playfield... Or new insert decals.. LOL I wish..
- Computer is all working but is out as I have a nucore ready to go in it.
- Obviously with nucore I will be using a 19" 4/3 LCD screen and putting new speakers and amplifier in.
- New red t-molding and cabinet decals are ordered and on there way, along with new side rails and lockbar.
- Most plastics are OK as are ramps just need a good plastic polish (already started) and a few plastics replaced which are on order.
- Removing all flouro light junk in backbox, will install some wood to hold 12v LED strips to light the translite.

This may take a while, waiting on a lot of parts but will post progress as I go, not in a huge rush ;-)

Sorry for the mobile phone photos, will do better in future  @.@

Wash me Please!

Plastics here need replacing, yellow target should be transparent green one (on order, with LED backlighting) and can see the hole is in not too bad condition due to hidden protector, will put thin cliffy in though..

Worst part of the playfield, need some touch ups on bottom edges of insert decals and also fill and touch up hole created by someone putting a screw that was two long in from the underside..  @@*

Cracked jump ramp, I have a new stainless steel one ready to go in.

Ready to strip

As can be seen new decals (on order) are needed, can see my fish tales with nice new decals on it in the background, that was fun..  #@#

The back box, pretty much everything in here is going, computer already out, but old monitor and flouro light junk will be coming out too..

I must say the pinball 2000 pins are MUCH easier to work on with 5 plugs (I think it was 5, each a different size so no mix-up) to remove playfield..

-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro

Offline dendoc

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Revenge from Mars restore thread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »
Have fun with it. Did mine earlier in the year and came up a treat. Make sure you grab the Ultimark video amplifier - makes the pictures on the screen much clearer.

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »
Have fun with it.

Will do

Make sure you grab the Ultimark video amplifier

Nah putting LCD in not leaving an arcade monitor..
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 06:24:27 PM »
Cool - I have not seen a P2K restoration thread. Always an interesting adventure.  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »
Great stuff, looking forward to your progress updates.  ^^^

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:31:02 PM »
anxious for parts to arrive... So posting some boring pics.. LOL

Photo of one of the ramps pre clean and one post, the bottom is most noticeable in photos but all the way along the ramp it is much clearer after some plastic polish...

Also started breaking down and cleaning the playfield more, putting LED GI in as I go, ordered some colour ones too for along the right hand side where they had used little red caps on the light globes.. Slingshot plastics were a real mess luckily I have ordered some replacements already..

Dirty LOL

Dirty

Clean

Clean

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:33:17 PM by joele »
-----

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »
OK well got some useful things done, the replacement computer (my old core2quad) is up and running finally, in pic below you can see it sitting on top of the cabinet hooked up and working. Video is currently output to my man cave TV as I am still waiting on my 4/3 19" LCD to turn up.. To get the original speakers working I hooked up a small (15w rms) 12 volt amp to the existing speakers, power is drawn from the PC's PSU.. Now that I know it will work I can start gutting the system/screen etc in the headbox..

I also got a rivet tool (will come in handy) and put in the new stainless steel ramp..

-----

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 11:05:23 PM »
Wow the graphics look way better than what I have. I got to admit i still need install my new arcade monitor but I don't think it'll be as good as this. I hope it will but don't think so.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 11:22:21 AM »
Wow the graphics look way better than what I have. I got to admit i still need install my new arcade monitor but I don't think it'll be as good as this. I hope it will but don't think so.

Looks a little blocky on a 42" TV, but yeah much better than the original arcade monitor, I think once I have the 19" LCD installed it should look really crisp..  #*#
-----

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 03:34:59 PM »
Slowly making some progress, hard between work and kids etc

New computer is ready and on a bit of wood with rails so can slide it and and out from the back of the head box. Had to support the video card a little creatively, LOL... Went with SSD drive as it now boots damn fast.

Stripping back box

Sanding it down

I don't have a photo but was sealed and primed inside and out.

Now two coats of Gloss black door and window trim paint going on, again inside and out.. Don't know if that is the best to use? but anyway it is done, got to start on the main cabinet now.. Decals arrived today so will get them on ASAP..

Lots of little stuff done including soldering onto wires some nice new light reflectors, I think the old ones had very little reflective coating left, LOL...

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:36:46 PM by joele »
-----

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 05:42:23 PM »
Nice work, really fun game to play.

I prefer to use the original computer cases.

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »
It's coming up really well. I'm watching with interest as one day I want to put nucore in mine too.

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 11:03:38 PM »
Nice work, really fun game to play.

I prefer to use the original computer cases.

Yeah understood, it just seemed a squeeze without the best ventilation, ohh well, can sell it off I guess?
-----

Offline Tensikka

• Forum Posts:
  • Finland, Europe
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »

... and can see the hole is in not too bad condition due to hidden protector, will put thin cliffy in though..

DONT DO IT!!! IMO Cliffys ruins games, holes becomes much more difficult to shoot, ball changes direction from those metal edges, after few games those edges will start to rise from playfield and shooting to that hole will become even more difficult. And when I see cliffy on game, my first thought is that there is something bad that is covered with it. It looks semi-ok on pictures but gameplay-wise it's not recommended (at least by me). That protector that is inside hole works 100 times better, don't make shot more difficult and will protect that hole.

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
DONT DO IT!!

Sadly you are correct, the cliffy I got from mr P. is a terrible fit, the ones in my bsd are fine but this one doesn't sit very flush at all, will have to go back to the underside one.. I do like the look of cliffys, especially in my bsd where they fit really well, but if it doesn't sit flush it is no good..

Also in the pic the Tensikka linked the small plastic on the left hand side is broken on one end so doesn't screw in correctly (hard to see in pic), but I cannot for the life of me find a replacement.. Anyone know of a shop that may have this plastic, I managed to get replacements for all other broken ones just not that one..
-----