Author Topic: The simplicity of old EM and SS pinballs.  (Read 597 times)

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Re: The simplicity of old EM and SS pinballs.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 02:09:25 AM »
There are a lot of pinball machines that are very light on ramps ,wank factor and toys etc., easy to play and feel like a SS/EM with a DMD that have a simple catch that make the game truly unique, plus the added benefit of callouts with some DMD interaction.
I particularly like these style of games and have soooooo much fun playing either by myself or with mates. Games like Breakshot, Gilligans's Island, Big Buck Hunter Pro to name a few. Best of both worlds.
I especially like playing with multiple players so you can get that competitive rivalry, frivolity, constantly take the piss out of each other or even give huge amounts of encouragement/ admiration if you are having the ball of a life time. The social aspect is firkin AWESOME. It helps if they are quick ball times too, Quick games a good game. To me these are real modern classics ( I will be shot down for this )

As some people really like to drag out a game-IMO boring (((  I find some popular designers tend to make things too complicated or drawn out with long ball times ie.: LOTR, TZ, ELVIS, RBION, CV great games sure, but too selfish in the fact they don't really cater for the social side of pinball, more of a solo challenge. This is where SS and EM's are excellent.

Artwork is also a massive thing for me and I really liked original concepts and creativeness of non-licenced games using some ones creative side to grab your attention and feed a coin or collect should be applauded  @@*.

Simple games that are easy to understand but hard to master are the best games which pretty much covers all EM and SS games however there are a few sneaky DMD games also, this is
the answer I am trying to give

If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
I love the old ss machine, grow up with them. They take me back to a simpler time . I like to play a game in a few minutes and not have to think to hard about it.
I

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 10:02:40 PM »
I love the old ss machine, grow up with them. They take me back to a simpler time . I like to play a game in a few minutes and not have to think to hard about it.
I

Well said Dan, I'm 100% with you there. Great line up by the way. From right to left I see Genie, Kiss, Mata Hari, I can't make out the next game and is that Paragon down the end? More pics please.  *%*

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 12:14:23 AM »
Hope you survived halloween Dan.  Have you got any experiences with Monte Christo? 
Addicted to pins.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 07:58:14 AM »
I

Well said Dan, I'm 100% with you there. Great line up by the way. From right to left I see Genie, Kiss, Mata Hari, I can't make out the next game and is that Paragon down the end? More pics please.  *%*

Yes Adam well spotted Paragon. The photo is about 12 months old. Still have all these machines . The machine you cant see which was turned off at the time is Farfalla. It is now working thanks to Homepins replacement Zaccaria Mpu. That room at the moment is also full of stuff in storage. I can only play Genie as it is closest to the door.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 08:02:17 AM »
Hope you survived halloween Dan.  Have you got any experiences with Monte Christo?

We had a little Halloween party at home.
No experiences with Monte Christo.
Here is a pic of some pumpkin a curved

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 08:03:39 AM »

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 08:04:56 AM »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 08:52:18 AM »

..... but too selfish in the fact they don't really cater for the social side of pinball, more of a solo challenge. This is where SS and EM's are excellent.

I agree very much with this - I have more fun in a multi player game on something like Black Hole or Firepower, where long ball times are the exception rather than the rule. Makes it much more fun.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 11:38:40 AM »
Thats a really nice rounded SS collection. I personally LOVE Farfalla. It was a well designed machine, and it played a little like a late Bally SS. I repaired one late last year and I enjoyed playing it once finished.

The simplicity of SS and EMs is also highlighted in competitions. They are nearly always all DMDs. I think because serious players play "serious" pinballs, which i think are DMDs. You walk away from a Sky Jump with 50,000 points and that's a good game. Just plunging first ball in a DMD will earn you 50,000.

When I see a line up of DMDs, I'm not as inclined to play them as I'm not all that good at playing them. When I see a line up of SS as in the pictures above, my first thought is "which one do i play first" ? That is because I grew up on these games, and they bring back a heap of memories. So age has a lot to do with it. If the younger kids like the DMDs better, it should be encouraged, because I've found younger collectors have small, but late model DMDs and older guys have sheds of older games.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia