Author Topic: Air brushing playfield touch ups  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Air brushing playfield touch ups
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 11:38:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Nino, I've ordered some KBS as Gav advises since I've already started with the enamel but I'm holding off painting anymore areas until I have a go with the clear and make sure there's no adverse reactions with my paint.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 08:45:43 PM »
KBS diamond clear turned up yesterday and went on my test area beautifully. I applied it about 24hrs ago and it works perfectly over the enamel that I used. Thanks again for the recommendation Gav.  ^^^

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 09:35:34 PM »
I haven't done much on this game for a while until today. Once I have a colour down and dryed should I be clearing the whole playfield before coming back to do the next colour? If I do clear it do I need to sand Inbetween clearing and the next coat? Thanks.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 09:56:36 PM »
I haven't done much on this game for a while until today. Once I have a colour down and dryed should I be clearing the whole playfield before coming back to do the next colour? If I do clear it do I need to sand Inbetween clearing and the next coat? Thanks.

If your paint has good adhesion you can paint your next color and use tape etc on your new paint. I don't use the blue tape for my fine lines. Gav got me onto the Tamiya model tape - buy all sizes and a couple rolls. eBay has them and I bought mine from a place in China - much cheaper and it is the same quality.

I like to have a clear between major touch up work. That way, your work is safe and locked in.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 12:09:25 AM »
Thanks Nino, with the next colour down I'll be about halfway through so probably time to put down a layer of clear then.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 12:27:28 AM »
I don't clear between coats.. just restore whats needed and then clear

Offline Sinbad79

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 10:50:16 PM »
I always do touch up CC's with my airbrush.. you only want to protect it till you do a full CC.. or you can leave as just a partial CC.. choice is yours.
Be warned though.. you are using soft enamels and ANY CC that isn't oil based will eat them before your very eyes... it can only be done with conventional CC if done extremely carefully - even then, its a gamble and trust me, watching your hard work turn to melted cheese status is heartbreaking.
Only 1 CC can be used over enamel, acrylic or lacquer and that's  KBS Diamond coat.
Different paints are good for different things.. acrylic lacquer is good for colour fill etc... black acrylic is good for inserts if using a stencil... Humbrol enamels are good for any hand brush line work you need to do.. these do flow beautifully from the brush.. that's how I do a PF restore.. with typically 3 types of paint.. KBS dries rock hard... harder than a 2 pac and will not eat any of the paint..

Good luck..

Gav

Gav, reading up on this product, its not clear if its a 1 part or 2pack clear. Given the curing times im assuming its not a 2pack clear??

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 11:02:52 PM »
No its not a 2 pak which relies on a catalyst to cure and so cures fast. But, it is self levelling so its very easy to get good results with little experience. you just need to make sure the PF is perfectly level before you apply. Once cured though, it is harder than a 2 pak and it hasn't affected any type of paint ive out under it.. soft enamels... acrylic lacquer and standard acrylic. For those reasons, its perfect for playfield restoration. My Amazing Spiderman is finished with this and it plays so well.. for a wide body, the ball flies about and it really lifts the game

Offline Sinbad79

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »
Thought so, and better still can be sprayed without a booth. No Isocyanides.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 11:24:45 PM »
My dad uses this stuff on his hand drawn clock faces... he puts it over the Rotring ink pens but doesn't have the capability to spray so uses a brush.. allows to self level and leaves to cure. He still gets a perfect finish