Author Topic: Williams Hot Tip (EM)  (Read 3649 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Williams Hot Tip (EM)
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2014, 11:21:55 PM »
 #*#  $#$
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2014, 11:30:41 PM »
Once again, thanks to everyone in the thread for helping out. Very much appreciated. Must have seemed like I was going round in circles for a while, but got there in the end. The first day the machine arrived and I actually saw what an EM looked like inside, I wanted to give it straight back. Especially when I changed all the fuses and it didn't make an ounce of difference.

After I got over the initial shock, I said I didn't want to let it beat me and I don't think it has beat me. I'm now able to start a game, play a ball and when the ball drains, it passes the ball back to the shooter lane....now my issues are: the game doesn't end and it jumps to player 4 (on a one player game), but I can see a number of stepper units need cleaning/adjusting.

What's next on the agenda:
* Player unit needs cleaning/adjusting
* Coin unit needs cleaning/adjusting (zero position switch is bent down HARD. Looks like it's missing a peg).
* re-rubber the machine
* new leg levellers

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2014, 07:59:48 AM »
Great News, Adam.
You must nearly feel like you have just done a course in EM repair and passed!

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2014, 09:06:14 AM »
I got a pass, Dan, but I'm hoping to get a credit. Haha

It's a shame I don't have that big garage now. I'd be telling you to rush your EM over before I forget everything.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2014, 01:44:56 PM »
I got a pass, Dan, but I'm hoping to get a credit. Haha

It's a shame I don't have that big garage now. I'd be telling you to rush your EM over before I forget everything.

Yehh, pass with credits once you fix mine!

Space is a problem for most collectors. Me included

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2014, 12:15:15 AM »
Back onto Hot Tip tonight and was trying to figure out why the player 1 ball was draining and then jumping to player 4. Discovered the credit unit stepper switch was not missing any parts, but at zero position, the switch was below the bar/notch instead of above it. I discovered this issue on the pinrepair guide. I can now play a complete one player game of Hot Tip. Pretty cool!

My next aim: get the machine working in a 2,3 or 4 player game. From lots of observing and testing tonight, the credit unit is not progressing when the coil is fired. Looks like I'll have to remove the armature from the coil and give it a good clean like I did in the backbox for one of the stepper units.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2014, 07:59:38 AM »
Sounds like you are almost there. Well done Adam.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2014, 08:31:05 AM »
Sounds like your on a roll now!  :lol Well done

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2014, 09:53:12 PM »
Just spent time with the credit unit and discovered that it is not the arms that connect to the coils, but the cog itself seems greasy/slow and doesn't reset fast like the stepper next to it. Does anyone have any tips on cleaning the cog itself? Do you have to unscrew the big nut to remove the cog? Regardless of the tension of the spring, it still seems slow to reset.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline femto

• Forum Posts:
  • Toowoomba, Qld
  • Go ahead....push my buttons!
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2014, 08:45:10 AM »
The most thorough way is to dismantle the unit and remove all traces of grease/gunk with metho. These units were designed to run unlubricated. It is best to check all units in the machine that have moving parts as when they bind they cause all sorts of weird issues.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2014, 12:21:11 AM »
So close now, so very close.

Pulled the coin unit apart and cleaned all the grease out of the moving parts and coil sleeves. Put everything back together and the cog still had drag on it. I tightened the spring, but no luck. I ended up loosening the nut on the wheel that was holding everything together. Another success.

So, the coin unit increments and releases freely. The game now goes up to three players, but not four. Adjusted the leaf switch on the coin unit. The game now allows four players.

Final issue: if you select a 2-4 player game, it keeps missing player 2 and jumping to player 3. Player 2 does not exist at the moment.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2014, 10:29:57 PM »
Have you checked the player unit is stepping correctly from player 1 to 2.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »
Went to check out the player unit tonight and turned machine on to have a game and now the drop targets are continuously resetting. To be continued....

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2014, 11:38:16 PM »
6th drop target is snapped off at the base, hence the constant resetting. What a pain!

One player game now malfunctions and jumps to third player on second ball. Time to check out that player unit. Switches are all bent out of shape also.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2014, 11:52:22 PM »
The only way you are going to sort this machine out once and for all is do everything from start to finish.  Just seems like you are chasing your tail at the moment fixing bits and pieces.  Everything needs to be pulled down and cleaned by the sounds of it, that way when you give it back know to the guy he won't ring you up a week later to say it isn't working again......If you know at I mean  ;)
Addicted to pins.