Author Topic: NBA FB to Medieval Madness Conversion  (Read 6340 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
NBA FB to Medieval Madness Conversion
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »
I made a comment a while ago that i would like to tackle the project of converting a WPC95 NBA Fast Break into a Medieval Madness.  Well i think the time is right for me to give this a go.  I have secured a playfield, lined up a NBA FB to be confirmed in a few weeks and starting to accumulate some parts.

I realise this may be an extremely drawn out and sometimes frustrating exercise.  I'm really doing it for the challenge, but also to try and save a few $$$ in getting a MM - time will tell whether i achieve it cheaper or not.

So in order to start my quest, if anyone has any MM parts they are not using (good condition 2nd hand is fine), please let me know and see if we can work out a price.

I will definitely document the progress, but don't expect miracles in a short period of time.

Thanks

Rob

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: NBA FB to Medieval Madness Conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:55:28 PM »
huge task, I am sure you can do it, though not sure on the price - did you see the the thread I started ages ago hear about the pinsider doing it from scratch using a NBA fast break
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=9738.0

and then there was this guy that finished off 2 new games from scratch (totally)
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/two-new-medieval-madness-games-hand-built-in-minnesota

what is the NBA playfield like?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:57:48 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:58:43 PM »
Yep, have had a look at that thread.  Haven't got NBA yet, prob wont until Mid Janurary at this stage i would say

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 09:14:12 PM »
Yep, have had a look at that thread.  Haven't got NBA yet, prob wont until Mid Janurary at this stage i would say

is it Luke's by any chance?

for pinball t-shirts

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
Nah prob coming from Melbourne

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:48:43 AM »
have you thought about a BOP DMD kit build, machine build with a colour dmd as a unique build - that is something I would like to do just for the uniqueness but the timing is not right.
http://www.dutchpinball.com/order

the MM one will be huge and with them being remade you might not get your value out of it.

if you still launch into it, enjoy and will watch the build with interest.

I did post in the Restoration section a site for repro metal components the other day.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:51:18 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:37:51 PM »
Nice one Rob should be a Rewarding project!  ^^^
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:33:56 PM »
OK, this is real, and it is happening. I think its going to be quite the challenge without another MM to copy off, but thats half the fun.

I have to thank Wally from pinside, as he has provided me with a few documents that help out a lot, as well as spending an hour or so chatting with him on skype for other tips and inspiration.

There are a few parts that are a bit difficult to get, but i'm chasing a few avenues for them.

So, i've got the MM playfield, NBA FB should turn up in the next day or so, i've got around $2000 worth of parts from two Aussie suppliers - both who have been fantastic and very helpful via email and phone.  I also bought a lot of metal parts from mantis amusements in the US, and am putting in an order for a lot of general parts/motors/brackets etc from another store in the US right now.

I started tackling a few of the assemblies - a couple of divertors, the trolls, and ball gate actuators.  I didn't complete the trolls as i will prob put LEDs in the eyes, so just quickly put together to ensure i had all the parts. Its amazing how many bits are in these,and you think you will have plenty of spare screws, nuts and washers etc - but i'm stocking up on plenty more of them as i'm running through plenty of them.  Its not a hard process, just follow the diagrams in the manual, and hope that you ordered the correct parts!

As we unwrapped the parts to date, the young bloke was pretty excited about the dragon and trolls!

Assembling ball gate actuator

Troll assemblies partially completed

Not sure what i will move to next, probably get the NBA FB and play it for a while, then start pulling it to bits, and maybe start on the wiring harness. 

Advice welcomed, or any of the castle bases that are quite tricky to get at the moment!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »
Omg big job good luck  ^^^
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
these will be selling my AC/DC beam covers and noticed they have MM gear - maybe check just there is something you need.

http://thepinwitch.com/gx2/advanced_search_result.php/XTCsid/e3c495176dbc226dec91785688fc4206/keywords/medieval/page/1

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »
yes, if u had a another MM right next to your new build, it would be so much easier.

You need to put the word out for someone to lend u a machine for 3 or 4 months, for videos n photos n comparisons.

Even if someone had a MM project machine they hadn't started on yet, that would be a massive help.

But if anyone on here can pull this off, it will be you Rob for sure. Cant wait to see the progresss.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 09:01:24 AM »
Got the NBA FB donor machine. I always thought i would play it a bit to see how it was, anyway, after 5 minutes of playing i was too keen to get into starting the conversion..

The NBA is largely in good condition, trough opto boards and 7 opto board was missing, but playfield, ramps and most plastics are in very good condition - if anyone needs any parts, let me know!

The cabinet is pretty solid, will need a few dings and scratches repaired before putting MM decals on, but that is a long way off

Started off by removing the playfield from the machine to start stripping

I started on the underside, and removed each of the wiring harnesses

Started with the coil and flasher harness, and i labelled each plug (or cut wire pair) with a number, this number was then recorded against the NBAFB coil table, so that when i put the harness in MM, i know where that set of wires should go.

Same then with switch and light looms - switches were labelled where they attach to the playfield

The GI and controlled harnesses were all twisted together, so will be a bit of fun getting them apart.

Once all the components off the bottom were removed, all the top side was pulled off. Its amazing how much quicker it is stripping a playfield when you dont take any pictures of where things go!

Parts were then organised into stuff that i would reuse or not.  Things like pop bumpers, flipper mechanisms, playfield brackets etc will be totally stripped and cleaned before being reused

Playfield all stripped now

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »
Looks to be one interesting project!

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
awesome work mate    ^^^, wish we could sticky a thread as this would be one of them

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
Wow- huge undertaking.. hope you don't end up banging your head against the wall too many times along the way.

Pool tables.... bloody handy things aren't they?