Author Topic: NBA FB to Medieval Madness Conversion  (Read 6342 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: NBA FB to Medieval Madness Conversion
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 07:00:46 PM »
Great job. Your video just stopped shy of your little one sticking her fingers in the cogs and hope your assistant didn't hit the battery again  !)#. I'm guessing no harm done.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
Great job. Your video just stopped shy of your little one sticking her fingers in the cogs and hope your assistant didn't hit the battery again  !)#. I'm guessing no harm done.

+1 .. hoping no fingers got chewed ! .

Awesome job on that drawbridge Rob  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 07:34:52 PM »
Ha ha. Yes there was a hasty stop of the camera when she launched her hand in there. All good though with no injuries.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2014, 09:32:15 AM »
Have achieved a bit over the last week or so. Had another forum member over last weekend @pocketmoney who is pretty cluey in this sort of stuff, so he gave me a few more tips.  One issue that was causing drama was the armature for the Merlin kickout hole rubbing on the Mantis protector, so we raided the auto ball launch from a Dr Who project in the shed and used it - these are much better as they have a narrower diameter shaft at the top, so the few mm less was all it needed for clearance.  I also trimmed the Mantis protector down a bit on the top edge with a dremel as it was sitting a bit proud of the playfield.

I drilled out and tapped the last of the hex posts - a few that have male threads on both ends were made by cutting to length, then drilling and tapping the end without a thread, then using an old post thread to put in the hole that was just tapped. Loctite this in, and cut off and make sure the thread is still good.

I then started wiring.  A lot of people say the wiring harness is a nightmare, but since i've started it, really its fairly straight forward (now this will come back to haunt me!).  The GI for the playfield uses three zones (from the manual) top, middle and lower, so i just grouped equal numbers of GI holders and strung them together - being AC, you don't need to worry about polarity or diodes, so its pretty quick.  The NBA FB harness had plenty of GI wire in it, and i ended up with some left over, plus a heap of Green and Green/White as MM doesn't use that string on the playfield.

Then i started wiring the lamp matrix - this is a little more complex but still not too bad, as long as you have good sidecutters, wire strippers, soldering iron, heatshrink, 0.156 crimpers and patience!!  I started by doing the lamp colunns (yellow). First thing is get the manual out and look where each of the lamps are in that column, and daisy chain them together

I am not really following the original wiring path, just where i reckon it makes sense and is best use of wire - i've done all 8 columns and 4 rows, and not run short yet.  Here is a pic of the length of wire in one of the lamp rows (red), and that is still connected to the boards and looped up under the playfield

You can't really test until you've done all the columns, then i test each row as i go. Had an issue in the first row, where two lamps were going when there should have only been one.  Triple checked all my wiring and connections, and couldn't work it out until i checked the board - this was a new boards where a diode had been installed backwards from the factory (d2)

So its all looking like a bit of a rats nest now, but easiest is to attack it one bit at a time, with all the wires you don't need hanging out of the machine out of the road

One thing you need to be careful of is working out where the wire goes on the boards - having a machine to copy off here would be easy and you wouldn't have to think, but as long as you check each time for diode orientation and lamp position, it should be right. Also, with the single bayonet lamp holders in the matrix, you need to ensure that they have a diode and it is oriented correctly.

I'm actually finding this part quite enjoyable and relaxing, and initially thought it might be one of the worst parts of the conversion.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 10:31:47 AM »
This project is still progressing, haven't spent a lot of time on it lately as flat out with work, but am enjoying it when i get to do some.

I fitted the drawbridge out with all the switches and optos etc, so it is fully functioning now (just need to wire switch matrix). It was a bit of fun getting the blade switches adjusted at the correct angle (and length of blade), as well as mounting them the right spacing away from the mounting plate - if they are too close, the arm will not actuate the switches. I couldn't get the right length screws, normal ones are too short - so the next best was to get ones that are 40mm long, and cut them down - being careful not to destroy the thread at the cut. I also had to trim down the castle entrance protectors as the long one in front of the drawbridge didn't allow it to open fully - cut a slot around the hinge area, and all good.

Close up of the switches mounted and ready to wire

I am always finding parts that i need to order along the way - things like this bracket which goes on the right loop.

Am also finding its not as easy as just getting the bracket - of course the switches i have don't quite have a long enough blade, then you need to make sure you have the insulating paper and screws - then of course i don't have the little rectangle threaded plate that the screws go into!  All part of the fun!

So after a bit of mucking around with hardware, i got keen and mounted the castle bits on to make it look a bit more complete that it was. As previously mentioned, all the GI is wired up, and i am very happy that the lamp matrix worked perfectly the first time i tested it!  So some pics with the castle and drawbridge and lamp matrix and GI!!

Offline shaneo

• Forum Posts:
  • Canbraahh
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2014, 03:35:50 PM »
That is dang fine craftsmanship Rob. Did you run with a bill of mats. or is it a case of too many variables and you manufacture/order as needed?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:43:03 PM by shaneo »

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »
That is dang fine craftsmanship Rob. Did you run with a bill of mats. or is it a case of too many variables and you manufacture/order as needed?

Thanks mate.  I did a couple of big orders initially to get the ball rolling, but the manual is next to useless, so much of it has to be determined on the run and from pictures others have sent me.  Most other people that have done this conversion are not stupid enough to do it without another machine to copy off, so they can pull mechanisms to pieces and look at all the parts required.

That said - i think it adds to the personal satisfaction i will have once completed that i've done it the hard way.  Ohhh, and i guess if i ever need to repair a MM i should know it inside out!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 01:06:16 AM »
Looking great all lit up, well done!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 02:17:50 AM »
Rob, u are one talented man ! Your workmanship and abilities never cease to amaze.
It seems that there is absolutely nothing you can't do when it comes to a pinball machine. Amazing talents I wish I had the patience for.

A quick question. What do u think this whole project is going to owe you by the time you are finished.??

Are u using LEDs or std can descent bulbs under the playfield and general illumination ?
Also, have you done the MM cabinet decals yet ? I didn't look at the pictures closely enough and wondered about the translite etc etc. ?

Are there any parts u haven't been able to find and purchase you are worried about or is all good ?

Last question, what's a rough estimate of when u think u might be finished by ?

I am assuming that this project will come well under $$ what the MM remake out of Stern is going to cost ?

Anyway, amazing work as usual and I also noticed u have some very nice titles in your photos.  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 09:37:54 AM »
I really appreciate the detail and research you have followed during this project. I have seen one of these in my workshop (NBA), and I turned the other one away (Apparently Congo). They were so poorly done and "slapped together" that there was no way I could troubleshoot via factory documentation. The dealer conversions are nowhere near your standard - Well done so far !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 10:21:28 PM »
Rob, u are one talented man ! Your workmanship and abilities never cease to amaze.
It seems that there is absolutely nothing you can't do when it comes to a pinball machine. Amazing talents I wish I had the patience for.

A quick question. What do u think this whole project is going to owe you by the time you are finished.??

Are u using LEDs or std can descent bulbs under the playfield and general illumination ?
Also, have you done the MM cabinet decals yet ? I didn't look at the pictures closely enough and wondered about the translite etc etc. ?

Are there any parts u haven't been able to find and purchase you are worried about or is all good ?

Last question, what's a rough estimate of when u think u might be finished by ?

I am assuming that this project will come well under $$ what the MM remake out of Stern is going to cost ?

Anyway, amazing work as usual and I also noticed u have some very nice titles in your photos.  ^^^

Thanks Brett - dunno about the first comments on talent- i just find it good fun, i reckon a lot of people on AP could achieve this with a bit of patience!

In terms of cost - not 100%, but would be surprised if i got out of it for less than $8500 - that could be plus or minus $2k for others depending on how/when they sourced parts and if they chose to make some things themselves.  Ohhh, and the countless hours that have gone into it so far!!

All LEDs for me

Will do the cab last - i don't want to mark a nice new cab when i am working on it so much. Prob would be easier in the rotisserie, but is nice to be able to test in the machine as i go along

Got decals, translite etc - the one thing i haven't got are the wireforms - if anyone has a set, let me know (even if someone had spares i could use as a template to build?).  I know some people are selling them, but price is pretty high and apparently quality is average.  If need be, i will try and make them. A mate of mine just completed a conversion (using a gutted WCS cab) and he made the wireforms and did a fantastic job.

In terms of time - not setting a goal - i'm enjoying the journey, so really don't care if it is still going in 12 or 18 months.

Offline shaneo

• Forum Posts:
  • Canbraahh
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »
Do you 3D scan any of the parts/components you manufacture or tech draw before you make them?

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 11:07:25 PM »
Nah mate - its nothing that complex. I buy the parts i can (or that are affordable), and see what i can do for the rest. Most of it is nothing overly complicated, just need the time to do it.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2014, 11:17:18 AM »
Congrats on getting this far Rob .. outstanding effort  ^^^

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts: