Author Topic: Better late than never, I guess!  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Shaneus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Better late than never, I guess!
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:48:52 PM »
Hey!

I've been a member here for a little while now but only just thought to introduce myself. I actually signed up to send a PM to ddstoys, asking him about some pins he said he had on location. Turns out the location wasn't Geelong, but he happened to have a High Speed for sale which I took the plunge on (ugh, the puns are starting...) and I'm still completely enamoured with her!

As a side note, I've been super hesitant to get a machine since I live in a 1BR unit that doesn't really have room for *any* machines, so I was convinced that I wouldn't get bitten by the bug. But as it turns out, the bug is indiscriminate and I'm still keeping a sly eye out for that elusive bargain which'll convince me to move into a bigger place just so I can fit in another machine (or two, or... you get the idea).

Anyway, hi!

PS. Also have to give mad props to ddstoys as well, he's been incredible to deal with and is always up for a chat and helping me out whenever an opportunity arises. I also hate him, because he's gotten me into a hobby where I don't think I'll come out of unscathed ;)

PPS. I know it's very early days, but I'm pretty sure my favourite generation/era is the System 11/mid-80s (aka alphanumeric, leading up to early WPC) titles. Not-too-deep-but-just-deep-enough rulesets, little reliance on info from the display (I prefer titles that encourage as much focus on the playfield as possible) and personality up the wazoo that doesn't feel forced.

My baby (that's 28 years old):

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Better late than never, I guess!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 11:52:25 PM »
Hi Shane
    Good to see you posting and glad you still love the game.   

Offline McKie1

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 11:56:33 PM »
Hi and welcome. I agree the bug bites indiscriminantly AND hard!

We only purchased our first a few months ago and like rabbits we have our fifth coming on Monday.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 08:29:17 AM »
 %)%
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:33:29 AM »
 $.$ and  %)% to Aussie Pinball !

It never stops at one game. Daniel is a great guy in the hobby, so you are in good hands. Enjoy the forum.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 09:58:26 AM »
 $!& & welcome, high speed looks very nice, extra room is a tough issue for most, best of luck with everything  ^^^

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 02:55:08 PM »
I live in a small 2 bedroom flat and I thought the same thing. Now I have 10 machines and 2 more coming. It's getting hard to watch the telly but I can plat pins.
 %)%

Offline ghali

• Forum Posts:
  • Kingsbury VIC
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
Welcome to a great forum and a great community Shaneus.

I bypassed the 'bug' myself and started off instantly with an illness!.....
I bought my 1st machine not quite 3 years ago and now have 39. 

The missus wouldn't dare give me the ultimatum, she already knows the answer!
VUK you!

Offline Shaneus

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »
Thanks for the welcoming committee guys (and girls?)! I already have ideas about what my next machine is likely to be, but at least I have a good feeling that I don't think I'll ever get rid of this HS. Something about your first, I guess %$%

If I can ask a quick question (not really new-thread worthy, I guess): How much is a half-decent TZ going for nowadays? I've never played one but I'd love to get my hands on a good playing one (not necessarily one that's in stupidly good nick) as it seems like the polar opposite of HS in terms of depth and gameplay.

Oh, one more: What's the general opinion of Demolition Man? Vaguely remember playing one in my local Timezone (in Geelong) MANY years ago, but it was well before I knew what a "ruleset" was in pinball.

Again, thanks for the positive words in this thread (negative in terms of my wallet though, bahaha). It's definitely a great community from what I've seen and I've spent many late nights getting lost in threads rather than sleeping... particularly timbo's (and others') restoration threads!

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »
 %)%

Offline Brett2280

• Forum Posts: