Author Topic: restorations  (Read 689 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
restorations
« on: December 15, 2013, 12:55:18 AM »
Has anyone done a resto or even a pf swap that went without any problems? I haven't done many but all have presented stuff like having to file out holes because the clear has made them too tight to insert posts etc. Then there's finding interesting things when dismantling a pf. My current tz pf swap is one case. Some of the weird arse screws that have been used to hold stuff in place, and loctite where that shit doesn't need to be.

Anyone found even more interesting things in their travels?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: restorations
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 01:00:53 AM »
My most interesting I've found we're on a space invaders which you may own where a coat hanger was used and bent to reproduce the out lane wires lol

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 05:43:13 AM »
The T2 I am working on at the moment.

To save on rubbers, the operator removed all the double rubbered posts and replaced them with a custom metal strip. Luckily the playfield is diamond plated.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
My most interesting I've found we're on a space invaders which you may own where a coat hanger was used and bent to reproduce the out lane wires lol
remember asking about that.  Had me beat with all the clips and hardware that went into it I built a space shuttle with the left overs

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »

To save on rubbers, the operator removed all the double rubbered posts and replaced them with a custom metal strip. Luckily the playfield is diamond plated.
OMG

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
Hmm, well my experiences are more to do with the quality control and cost cutting measures from various "authorised" repro parts manufacturers (or their subcontractors).

No company names mentioned.

Repro cabinet art that doesn't line up around the corners when the originals did.
Cabinet art that uses the thinnest vinyl available to cut costs and which tears when you try to apply it.
Cabinet art that was reproduced by scanning one side only of an original cabinet and then made to reproduce both sides, despite overlooking the fact that the original art was different on each side.
Playfields that miss drilling holes/making necessary cuts/misalign holes despite claims they were done using the original CAD files from BW.
Selling seconds quality playfields whilst advertising them as acceptable firsts.

Offline Blktgr74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Re: restorations
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 05:35:58 PM »
Ive got a street fighter that I am picking up in the next couple of days and some of the rubbers have been replaced with rubber bands I had a laugh when I saw it. Got to love container pins.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »
Been there with the seconds playfield

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »

WOW... thats amazing  *!@ *!@

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 08:59:47 PM »
Not wanting to sound overly critical from my earlier post, but 90% plus of product out there is fine and perfectly acceptable.

The subpar stuff always sticks in your memory, though.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 10:01:08 AM »

The Funhouse I restored recently was "restored" by using inkjet cabinet decals. The quality of the decals was not the only issue, there was ZERO prep work and it appeared to have been installed by a Child.

A machine was recently presented to me "shopped" with YELLOW Rubbers that had no elasticity. Seems they were "NOS" rubbers from 20 years ago ?

Playfields - Repro playfields all have their problems, as no two playfields are exactly the same. I cannot be critical, as they are ALWAYS better than the old worn playfields.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »

The Funhouse I restored recently was "restored" by using inkjet cabinet decals. The quality of the decals was not the only issue, there was ZERO prep work and it appeared to have been installed by a Child.

A machine was recently presented to me "shopped" with YELLOW Rubbers that had no elasticity. Seems they were "NOS" rubbers from 20 years ago ?

Playfields - Repro playfields all have their problems, as no two playfields are exactly the same. I cannot be critical, as they are ALWAYS better than the old worn playfields.

I bought some "white" rubbers from an Aus supplier a couple of months ago and they were the same as you describe.
They didn't seem to happy when I asked for money back, probably the same company.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »
I don't understand the meaning no two playfields are alike. I thought they were using cncs from at least 1990. Repeatability and accuracy should have been microns. So I don't know what the problem is. My mirco tz so far one screw hole is out by 5mm at least.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 09:44:13 AM »
I don't understand the meaning no two playfields are alike. I thought they were using cncs from at least 1990. Repeatability and accuracy should have been microns. So I don't know what the problem is. My mirco tz so far one screw hole is out by 5mm at least.

I've installed a couple of Funhouse playfields and there were hole alignment errors. Especially along the edge of the playfields where the countersunk screws hold in the wooden siderails. All the playfield manufacturers sell "seconds" that didn't pass inspection due to the many processes that can go wrong. Color registration is probably the main issue.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 08:14:30 PM »

I bought some "white" rubbers from an Aus supplier a couple of months ago and they were the same as you describe.
They didn't seem to happy when I asked for money back, probably the same company.

I got caught by that as well added them to an order I needed, couldn't be bothered asking for a refund, just threw them in the bin and cut my losses   @.@