Author Topic: Rechroming old pinball parts - anybody done this?  (Read 751 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Rechroming old pinball parts - anybody done this?
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:25:54 PM »
As with the Thoro-bred restoration I'm looking at either buying new front doors for all of my pins from that era from PBR (not all at once  #@#) and they sell for US$80 each + postage which I'm guessing would be around US$40.

Also items like coin entrance plates, some legs, playfield parts etc....

So the question is: has anybody here had pinball parts rechromed?

How did they turn out? What kind of price are we talking?

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Re: Rechroming old pinball parts - anybody done this?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
My novice opinion only but i would think that games of the vintage you collect would look too "shiny" if you chromed them. I think they look more authentic if you just clean the shit out of them  !@#

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:35:34 PM »
My novice opinion only but i would think that games of the vintage you collect would look too "shiny" if you chromed them. I think they look more authentic if you just clean the shit out of them  !@#

Agreed to a point Rob, some of the doors etc on some of my games don't have ANY chrome left from being in storage for decades.

The front door and coin entrance plate on the Thoro-bred have to be replaced! If I'm respraying the cab, it will look new so a nice new looking front door will really set her off

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:37:12 PM »
good point! if you are spraying the cab i guess it makes sense to make the whole machine look new!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:42:35 PM »
We had a Grill Chromed for one of our hotrods a few years back and if they prep it right they can come out like a mirror. Cant give you  a price though coz the dickhead dropped it and bent it slightly so we go it done for free ^&^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:46:58 PM »

tony - You could take the door around to places that rechrome, or ask any car restorers what they would do. Just grab quotes for now and compare the price to importing new ones.

I have a couple of doors that need doing (Pro Football) - and I was going to buy at least one door !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 12:03:58 AM »
There was another thread where MarkC talked about pricing of rechroming and it sounded pretty affordable.

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »
good point! if you are spraying the cab i guess it makes sense to make the whole machine look new!

Wanted to get some of my doors done on my newer machine and found that i couldn't find anyone that could do a dissent job in Perth.Tried to do one of the doors and it look like shit,best we could do he said.

Got a new one of these http://www.pinballdecals.com/ and it arrived flawless and perfect.Was dear,but when you considered all the cost already it was the better opinion for me.Only problem is cant sell the machine as it owes me to much :lol

Got any in stock yet Greg as might need one more.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »
I had the door, coin entrance plate, legs and shooter surround for my gtb MIBS rechromed (see resto thread), cost me about $300 to get them done.

No one would've wanted to leave this game looking like it did when i got it!!

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 01:43:22 PM »
I had the door, coin entrance plate, legs and shooter surround for my gtb MIBS rechromed (see resto thread), cost me about $300 to get them done.

No one would've wanted to leave this game looking like it did when i got it!!

Thanks Mitch,

Would be happy paying that price for all that work. Will need to make some calls later today.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
this is going back about 5 years and i was on the sunshine coast, i had a diff cover plate done for $30 he said it was worth less but that was there minimum charge
he did a excellent job to. most of the other places wanted $75 for the same item.
the fellow that did it said he would just throw it in with another job he was doing.
they are a bit hard to find but the cheap guys are out there.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Tony

The parts that i had rechromed on my stern magic cost about $150 i think i was ripped off, only went there as the father in law recommended them .
They did a great job but charged accordingley.
They were at Taren Point if you need there name let me know.

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Cheers,

Will try some places down here first. Will probably wait until I finish the next respray of Gottlieb's Goucho and get both front doors/coin entrance plates done etc.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
it probably would work out cheaper that way as they usually have a min. price and then add on from that.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)