Author Topic: Data East "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" Reconditioning  (Read 5029 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Nino, could you scan the plastic which is triangle shaped which sits infront of the red pop bumper cap and it says bitchin with a few round stand up white targets in front of it. Recently, a friend played mine and a fly ball broke the plastic.

If somehow u could scan it at actual size n send me the file, I would be most thankful.

regards, Brett
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Nino, could you scan the plastic which is triangle shaped which sits infront of the red pop bumper cap and it says bitchin with a few round stand up white targets in front of it. Recently, a friend played mine and a fly ball broke the plastic.

If somehow u could scan it at actual size n send me the file, I would be most thankful.

regards, Brett

Unfortunately I cannot assist as the machine was picked up over a week ago.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

I just want to thank Nick (Pinnies4me) for providing me with replacement plastics. All of them were chipped, broken or the paint lifted badly while washing them. These were "new" compared to mine !

When completely dis assembling games down to the last bolt, I always find parts that are not seen and are broken. These can effect gameplay and are usually "easy" repairs, but you need to look out for them. The VUK assemblies on every DE machine I've restored or reconditioned have the same problem. The tip is broken, which sends the ball off in different directions on its way up. The only way to be sure is to remove the assembly ;

Dis assembled completely ;

The new parts ;

Fitted and ready to re assemble back into the game !

The boards have all been refurbished. There was some corrosion around the battery holder, so I replaced the parts in that area and moved the battery pack off the CPU board.

Everything under the playfield is rebuilt. Note I changed the broken pop bumper bracket.

Complete original flipper kits. Not the old parts cleaned and tumbled  !@) to make them look new ! These are FULL kits.

Almost there !

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Great job as usual Nino, looks really nice.

Thanks for the detailed photos on the VUK. Recently got the kit from Greg for my TFTC, which is the last thing I have to do on my restore.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Glad those plastics found a good home!  ^^^  Game looks great, bet the new owner will be loving it.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:

regards, Brett

Unfortunately I cannot assist as the machine was picked up over a week ago.

Nino, thanks for trying anyway. Hey, the machine looked great after your work. Another top job done Nino.
Its a very fun n addictive game TMNT. Clocking the machine and getting to Turbo Ginza is real fun. I reckon this machine was one of the best thought out machines of anything over the last 30 years. The pop up sewer where the ball comes thru that gate is apparentlky the first machine to use a trap door to bring a ball to the playfield via underneath somewhere for Data East. Save April and all the audio n dot matrix on this title makes it a really really fun game.

Finding a NOS backglass. That was absolutely amazing. Never thought they were available. Luckily mine is prefect but another great feature of this title is the back glass. Its not until u see one personally upfront do u realise what a beautiful and advanced artwork was used. The mirror work on the back glass is excellent n very unique. April has huge boobs as well which must have got teenagers in 1991 to put a lot of coins into the machine.
Another excellent resto by APR.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Everything under the playfield is rebuilt. Note I changed the broken pop bumper bracket.

Hey mate, just crossed my mind that I put that shooter link in the box too - but it was wrapped in plastic - hope you didn't chuck it out!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Hey mate, just crossed my mind that I put that shooter link in the box too - but it was wrapped in plastic - hope you didn't chuck it out!!

I used the one you sent me as the original was worn. Thanks for that mate !

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide

regards, Brett

Did you add a flat steel protector at the front of this plastic Nino?
I think it is a very common problem with this machine, when I had mine that plastic was also missing.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
did u do the new pizza decal. ? I am assuming yes ofcourse.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

I thought I'd post some pictures of the completed game. The pizza decal was left as original as it still worked and the new owner was happy to leave it that way. There is a metal protector in front of the centre spot targets. Overall, the game plays 100% and FAST. It is currently situated in a collection of Video games and video pinballs (alongside a SF2) - but that could change in the future !

Completed pictures ;

The cabinet was in excellent condition

Completed Reconditioned machine

^^^

Offline noj472

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
That is absolutely gorgeoues. Well done Nino. The new owner should be ecstatic with the finished result.  ^^^

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
It's come up beautifully Nino, I'm sure the new owner will be very pleased. That's for posting, I always look forward to seeing how your restorations come together.  ^^^

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
It really looks the goods with the new "stick and peel" pizza decal. Without the very gritty original pizza decal, the balls just don't stick and fly off as fast when the magnet catches them. The new pizza decal not only looks good, but makes the game play better. They are like $12 and make the game look new, not old.

First thing I would do. Cabinet on that machine looks good. well done on the resto.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:43:51 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline badgap64

• Forum Posts:
Wish I had one