Author Topic: Frankenstein switch problems.  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Jimma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Frankenstein switch problems.
« on: September 25, 2008, 07:24:56 AM »
I have recently acquired a Mary Shelley's Frankenstein machine by Sega.
It had been stored in a barn for quite a long time but after much cleaning and tlc it is in pretty good condition.
It now powers up fine and looks great but there is an issue with several switches not working, including the Start button so consequently I have never played it.
The switches that do not operate are the start button and several targets (I, A, N, F, R, T, E, and Move Jackpot).
If anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem might be and any solutions I would be grateful.
Many thanks,

Jimma.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Frankenstein switch problems.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 09:35:29 AM »

Hi Jimma...

Do you have the manual to your game ? Check the switch matrix for commonality with the switches, it could be a row or column of switches. If it is - then check the connectors at the CPU board. Follow the wires under the playfield and see if one has come loose, or a diode. Look for any shorts of the light sockets to any other part of the playfield..

I think your game has a test for switch matrix ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:42:24 AM »
Hi Jimma,

Your machine does have a switch test in the "Diagnostics" menu, and to access it, use the buttons inside the front door.

What you have described sounds like the top 4 rows of switches are not working (seen this many times), and means that a chip has blown on the CPU board - either 6J or 5J (4011).

When you are in the switch test, you will see am 8x8 matrix of the switches on the display. The top 4 rows will either be permanently on, or permanently off. Check the other stand-up targets you didn't mention in this test and see if they work. If they do, it is definitely a failed chip.

If not, follow Strangeways' advice.

Offline Jimma

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:52:37 AM »
Thanks a lot for the advice.  I'll report back on how I get on.

Jimma.