Author Topic: Preparing to enter the Black Hole, need some parts and a little advice.  (Read 435 times)

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Hi All,

Just picked up a Black Hole and I am preparing to get it up and going.

A couple of things I noticed right off the bat.

- It's missing the prop that holds the playfield up.
- The plastic housing that holds the primary fuse just inside the coin door is missing. I have the fuse holder just not the plastic housing that holds it to the floor of the cabinet. Here's a pic of one in another game:

Anyone have either the prop or the fuse-holder housing thing or can somebody direct me to them?

It also has a Ni-Wumpf driver board and CPU and a Rottendog power board? I don't have any experience with these replacement boards, does this mean that I don't need to do any ground mods? Anything else I need to know about these boards?

Anyone have a manual or coin box for sale?

Thanks in advance, SV.  %$%

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Hi All,

Just picked up a Black Hole and I am preparing to get it up and going.

A couple of things I noticed right off the bat.

- It's missing the prop that holds the playfield up.
- The plastic housing that holds the primary fuse just inside the coin door is missing. I have the fuse holder just not the plastic housing that holds it to the floor of the cabinet. Here's a pic of one in another game:

Anyone have either the prop or the fuse-holder housing thing or can somebody direct me to them?

It also has a Ni-Wumpf driver board and CPU and a Rottendog power board? I don't have any experience with these replacement boards, does this mean that I don't need to do any ground mods? Anything else I need to know about these boards?

Anyone have a manual or coin box for sale?

Thanks in advance, SV.  %$%

Ni-Wumpf will still need the ground mods.
The fuse holder housing just looks like a normal SYS1 switch cover with a hole drilled in it for the fuse holder.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

+  to the ground mods. They aren't hard to do, and cure so much that even considering faults on a games before doing them is a real waste of time.

Also, repinning all board connectors is also a must do first thing.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
PM sent re switch cover (? fuse holder)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Daniel (DDSTOYS) might have the manual. If not, PBR have reprints that are really good quality.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
Thanks for the replies and thanks Steve for the switch cover/fuse holder.

Anyone know what goes here (some kind of post?)

I also need a couple of plastics:

anyone got some spare?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:41:04 AM by solar value »

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Switch cover posted.

Congrats on picking up a great game btw. ^^^

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Will be interested to see how you go with getting yours going .
I also have a project BH with Ni-Wumpf driver board and CPU and a Rottendog power board, that I am currently working on .

Mine came with a new set of Upper PF plastics so will take a look at the 2 you need from my old set and see what shape they are in .

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Thanks for the replies and thanks Steve for the switch cover/fuse holder.

Anyone know what goes here (some kind of post?)

I also need a couple of plastics:

anyone got some spare?
Do PBR have these plastics?
You could order a set and get the drops and bumpers caps at the same time.

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
Will be interested to see how you go with getting yours going .
I also have a project BH with Ni-Wumpf driver board and CPU and a Rottendog power board, that I am currently working on .

Did you buy it with those boards already installed? I am wondering why the person I bought mine from chose that particular combination of boards. I mean why not go with all Rottendog for example?

Mine came with a new set of Upper PF plastics so will take a look at the 2 you need from my old set and see what shape they are in .

Thankyou.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

PBR do have a full upper plastic set, and like mentioned by goodolddays above, I have some old ones from mine so if no luck with goodolddays sign out and I'll check mine.

If you want to PM me your email address I can assist with the manual.

There should be a metal post in that spot I think.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW

Did you buy it with those boards already installed? I am wondering why the person I bought mine from chose that particular combination of boards. I mean why not go with all Rottendog for example?

Thankyou.

Yes bought mine not working , but with original board set + new Niwumph CPU/driver and Rottendog PSU .
Just had a quick look for the old plastics set but haven't found it yet .. got to try and remember where I put it  @.@

Also , manual is here https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CEYQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Farcadecontrols.com%2Ffiles%2FManuals%2Fgottlieb-black-hole-manual-x.pdf&ei=zPDyUp7QL8SolAW444CgAQ&usg=AFQjCNE2Pavch0TpGgbWg33q8vduTb7KNg&sig2=j_rqcO_2XEZ7FJvEnGPs4A&bvm=bv.60799247,d.dGI
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:19:20 PM by goodolddays »

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
PBR do have a full upper plastic set, and like mentioned by goodolddays above, I have some old ones from mine so if no luck with goodolddays sign out and I'll check mine.

Ok, thanks.

This is interesting, I emailed Ni-Wumpf about the ground mods and got the following reply:

No Anthony – we do not recommend the ground modifications.  We do recommend that the wiring harness between the CPU and the driver board be critically examined for bent/broken/weak pins, and those pins replaced.  There is also a mod. to increase the +5 / GND connections between the two boards, and that is a good one to do.  Lastly, John’s recommendations on the power supply are good, but a better route to take would be to take apart the power supply and re-flow all of the connector pins on the solder side if they need it.

I think the +5 / GND connection mod he is referring to is covered here at 4.2.1:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#System_80B

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
Yes bought mine not working , but with original board set + new Niwumph CPU/driver and Rottendog PSU .

What is the condition of the original CPU/driver and PSU?

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW

What is the condition of the original CPU/driver and PSU?

I haven't tested them but by the looks they would need overhauling