Author Topic: Bally noise filter  (Read 141 times)

Offline vanhos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
Bally noise filter
« on: February 14, 2014, 08:52:38 PM »
Hi guys I was replacing the old 3 pin outlet inside my Bally elektra 1981 machine today ready for some rgb under cabinet lights.

I found a problem with the earth was not connected to the noise filter. This earth goes to the outlet/power supply board

I reconnected the earth as you should always have one on a 3 pin outlet. However I am a bit worried about a few things.

Has anybody came across this earth disconnected for some reason on any others machine. Eg major fault.

Do we still need this noise filter any more on these machines.

Is there a better way to hide this ridiculous way of mounting this equipment. 240v just sitting there waiting to bite.

Pic 2 shows the earth in the connector to the power board.
HOS

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bally noise filter
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 12:12:12 AM »
It is still needed, but it's also dangerous as you pointed out, bare connections waiting to bite one day...

You could goto hardware/electrical wholesaler and grab yourself a junction box for electrical wiring (various sizes and shapes available).
The boxes vary in style, some are fully enclosed boxes, whole others are a base with a box-lid that mounts to the base....you could mount the base around the mains filter, then the lid-cover safely encloses the filter from prying hands.

Failing the junction box, you can also go with a 'block mount' for a regular household power outlet....the block mount is deep enough to conceal the filter, then fit a blank panel on top to safely enclose it.
( The blank panel is used when you dont wanna mount a panel with a switch or 240v outlet on it etc ).

my 20c.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Bally noise filter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »
The earth wire was an issue and needs to be connected. The way the EMI filter is placed is exactly how it was done in the factory. After 1982-83, Bally placed the filter further back in the cabinet and a plastic dome was screwed over it and also the power switch.

It will only bite if you drop your concentration. When working on any game, I unplug the mains unless I need it for the work I'm doing.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia