Author Topic: data east time machine cleaning and polish the field  (Read 458 times)

Offline flipping mad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • qld
data east time machine cleaning and polish the field
« on: February 22, 2014, 10:49:05 PM »
Replacing all the rubbers and a clean playfield makes the world of difference to an older pinball.
Also the best time to change out bad globes and sockets or swap them all out for leds.
Hey what ya reading down here for?
Something funny? Hate to disappoint but it's just a rambling bit of text that goes on and on..
Still reading huh? You must be bored, go play pinball my friend ;)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
An underrated early DE game. Great fun to play and the concept is brilliant.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline flipping mad

• Forum Posts:
  • qld
I love watching peoples faces when the bells and the knocker kick in, it's a great pin with a fast playing field tricky ramp shots that are very achievable for the novice player..
Back box art lets it down a bit but it still gets big smiles from all who play
Something funny? Hate to disappoint but it's just a rambling bit of text that goes on and on..

Offline flipping mad

• Forum Posts:
  • qld
For those who want to see the gameplay here's a link

&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
Backbox art lets it down? I couldn't draw that in a million years. Looks great to me. Proper backglass too

Offline flipping mad

• Forum Posts:
  • qld
Sorry I was talking about my machine, it's a beautiful piece of work but mine is flaking and looking it's age :(

All the information I have gotten to reseal it say I need to tape up the score windows but time machine has open areas all over it to show the reflective stuff on the inside.
I've never sealed a backglass and I'm worried the unpainted areas will go cloudy any suggestions people?

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
They don't go cloudy.. all that happens is that the clear doesn't give as flat a surface as the glass and so you get a slight rippling effect over the scores if the windows are sprayed.
It wont make hardly any difference to where you have the chrome coming through.
If the glass is flaking then it will only get worse.. slowly over time the edges lift just a little bit more and bits start to drop off. In time you will have no choice but to clear it but by then the damage is a bit worse... its something you are going to have to do anyway, so you might as well do it now to retain more of the artwork.
It doesn't have to be a really thick layer.. I know products like " Triple Thick" give the impression that its like spreading jam but its not really.. only a thin layer is needed.. its there to hold ALL of the silk screened art together as one piece. Therefore the whole lot has to drop away as one rather than bit by bit.. the good holds the bad on so to speak.

But... DO NOT use  any polyurethane based clear for this.. it goes to a brown tint over time ( same as an EM playfield)... the stuff Playwell games sells is just P/thane - steer clear. Personally, ive never used Krylon Triple Thick.. every glass ive ever sealed has been done with Acrylic clear

Offline flipping mad

• Forum Posts:
  • qld
I'll get onto that asap, post some pics soon
Thanks for the advice it's always worried me as the open spaces on time machines backglass look awesome.

Offline flipping mad

• Forum Posts:
  • qld
Best place to get triple think?

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
I think spotlight stocks some krylon product, but cant recall seeing TT there.

Ebay might be worth a try.

Also welcome to the forum and congrats on the nice pins!

Never played time machine but definitely looks/sounds interesting.

Are you located near Brissy?

Offline flipping mad

• Forum Posts:
  • qld
G'day mate, yeah had the mission to find some Triple Thick on the weekend with no luck..Looked on eBay they only had an aging paste for ceramic stuff.

I'll have a look in spotlight over the weekend they might have some,but If anyone has used another product with good results please let me know.

As for Time Machine I never knew it was good until I played, I've become obsessed about going back to the 50's just to hear the bells and nocks. I feel like the hunch back of noterdam. The bells THE BELLS!

Offline flipping mad

• Forum Posts:
  • qld
And yeah I'm from Queensland out past Ipswich.
 :tumble:

And I'm liking being part of this forum. I'm sure I'll need some help over the next few months as I restore the pharaoh machine, and hope I can help a few people along the way too

Offline femto

• Forum Posts:
  • Toowoomba, Qld
  • Go ahead....push my buttons!

Offline flipping mad

• Forum Posts:
  • qld
Thanks mate I've just ordered some from them.
 ^^^