Author Topic: What's a fair price to spray a cabinet?  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: What's a fair price to spray a cabinet?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »

OK - Go to a paint supplier and simply buy acrylic lacquer with a compatible thinner - General Purpose thinner should do. I'd say no more than 1ltr of base color will easily do the headbox and the cabinet. Mix 60 thinner and 40 paint (you can do 50/50 for primer). Set the gun to around 35 PSI and practice on an old piece of timber. Let the paint almost dry and play around with the gun (airflow and paint mix) until you are happy. Before you know it, you will get the hang of it. EXPECT to make mistakes. This is how you learn the gun, compressor and paint. You are effectively bypassing Trade School by learning on the job. soon you will love it !

Do all coats of topcoat in the same session - don't paint one coat, then sand, then another coat and sand.. wait 10 minutes inbetween coats. That's my preference, but it might not be right in theory.

Paint in a well ventilated area. Wear a breathing mask AND goggles. Why eye protection ? Because last year my touch up gun blew black paint and thinner straight into my eye and it stung like hell ! I lost half a day at the Eye and Ear Hospital - so cover all the safety issues BEFORE doing anything.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 09:00:06 PM »
guys,someone posted a cab respray of a 78 playboy.can any one enlighted me on who it was.i would like some aussie paint match for the colours.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 09:06:59 PM »

OK - Go to a paint supplier and simply buy acrylic lacquer with a compatible thinner - General Purpose thinner should do. I'd say no more than 1ltr of base color will easily do the headbox and the cabinet. Mix 60 thinner and 40 paint (you can do 50/50 for primer). Set the gun to around 35 PSI and practice on an old piece of timber. Let the paint almost dry and play around with the gun (airflow and paint mix) until you are happy. Before you know it, you will get the hang of it. EXPECT to make mistakes. This is how you learn the gun, compressor and paint. You are effectively bypassing Trade School by learning on the job. soon you will love it !

Do all coats of topcoat in the same session - don't paint one coat, then sand, then another coat and sand.. wait 10 minutes inbetween coats. That's my preference, but it might not be right in theory.

Paint in a well ventilated area. Wear a breathing mask AND goggles. Why eye protection ? Because last year my touch up gun blew black paint and thinner straight into my eye and it stung like hell ! I lost half a day at the Eye and Ear Hospital - so cover all the safety issues BEFORE doing anything.

Great advice.SAFETY FIRST ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 11:37:44 PM »
guys,someone posted a cab respray of a 78 playboy.can any one enlighted me on who it was.i would like some aussie paint match for the colours.

Remove the front door brackets. You should see the original factory "pink". Take the lower cabinet to a paint supplier and have them match that color. That's the only way I match colors. don't rely on the pantone system as it is not perfect.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »
I read this thread with interest having seen many pinball cabinets on the Gold Coast and Brisbane sprayed fully in 2 pac before people apply full cabinet decals.

One person got it done, then it sort of caught on, then quite a few people up here got it done to their high end restorations. The cost was $500 total, but the cabinets and headbox were delivered to the painter, fully sanded inside and out back to barewood, with the sanding finish being as smooth as a babys bum. Then the cabinets were 2 pac painted in gloss black 100 percent coverage (meaning every inch of wood, inside n out n underneath and behind was finished to a mirror gloss black finish.)

Then decals were applied ofcourse to all areas, leaving the front edges of the headbox, gloss black, inside of machine gloss black, rear of headbox gloss black etc etc. The cabinets are all done at a automative booth etc. These cabinets were 2 paced because the machines were going to be longterm keepers.

The end result is lush, but every spot of dust shows up on the inside of the cabinet very easily.
Personally, it is a bit of overkill but the price was excellent. The only thing, is that a wood colour paint on the inside of the cabinet does look better.
I say wood type colour, cause a lot of the time, when people applied wood clear to the inside of the cabinet, it went about 3 to 6 shades darker which looked awful. One guy did find a wood colour that was so close to pine wood, u thought it was actually bare wood, untouched/unsealed.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has painted the insides of their restored cabinets a different colour to wood or black.....maybe a gloss white or the same colour as the majority of the outside cabinet.

example - pink inside the cabinet all over like the outsides on a 1978 Williams phoenix instead of wood colour ?  or white on that machine....?? Anyone else had any similar prices or different colours painted on the insides ??  !@# !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 10:22:34 PM »

Remove the front door brackets. You should see the original factory "pink". Take the lower cabinet to a paint supplier and have them match that color. That's the only way I match colors. don't rely on the pantone system as it is not perfect.

are you serious man.i have to cart the box to protec etc to match the colour.surely someone has sprayed one before.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 11:16:50 PM »

are you serious man.i have to cart the box to protec etc to match the colour.surely someone has sprayed one before.

Is the pink the same pink as on the playfield?? If so I can provide the Pantone colour match code

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 11:29:57 PM »

Out of interest Nino, do you find that the same colours are used from game to game or are they always different? I don't mean different brands but say Bally's of the same era. For example is the same blue or red used often on different games?

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 11:58:18 PM »

looks the same to me.makes sense.please do,gav

Is the pink the same pink as on the playfield?? If so I can provide the Pantone colour match code

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 12:06:35 AM »
OK.. need to go to the shed of no power so will sort it out tomorrow. I did have it written down but cant find a damn thing since ive moved.

... just to add.. stencils coming soon for this title  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 01:11:19 AM »

That's exactly what I do. That's the only way to learn color matching and also general info about painting methods. For example - GTB Genie has a deeper Red colour on the head and body that the more Orange colour found on the backglass frame. BUT - it is EXACTLY the same colour ! The cabinet orange is painted OVER the base yellow, which makes it look RED. The orange on the backglass frame is simple painted directly on the frame, so it looks different.

Out of interest Nino, do you find that the same colours are used from game to game or are they always different? I don't mean different brands but say Bally's of the same era. For example is the same blue or red used often on different games?

Base whites are the same - Eight Ball, KISS etc. Eight Ball has two different Greens for the apron and playfield wooden siderail runners. The KISS orange is unique to KISS, which is different to the orange on Eight Ball. I've seen two Fathoms with different light Greens. The fact is that Bally often changed paint suppliers during production, so there might be differences in factory paint colours. Only slight changes. I keep a small sample of each color for each machine. They are very close.

Regarding the 2 pac approach for cabinets - That's not how it was done in the factory. It looks GREAT, but is is more of an enhancement or "mod" rather than a faithful restoration. When I see the "blinged" full gloss black cabinet internals I don't view them as restorations.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 06:52:13 AM »
That makes sense, different supplier = differences in the colours. Interesting about the Genie and I guess other games as well with the effect the different layers of paint have on the end cabinet colour. I hadn't really thought about that before.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 06:32:23 PM »

What title are u doing stencils for Gav ?

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 06:44:11 PM »
Bloody hell.. what title aren't I doing stencils for??
PARAGON is the next big one.. ive just finished SWINGER for Damien.. KISS is now on Ebay. But whats coming up is..

PARAGON... PLAYBOY... SPIRIT..GORGAR.. STAR TREK....MEDUSA....$6MIL MAN.
They are whats top of the list with PARAGON in #1 place... then Playboy. Ive also got EMBRYON, XENON and EVEL KNEVEL to do.
If ive missed any out anyone, then speak up. I did have a list written down but its gone by the by and is lost in the " everything is lost" shed, so I need to restart and list them on my comp

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 06:53:02 PM »
?? any Phoenix (1978 - Williams) stencils made anywhere.  it looks like a easy stencil to make with base colour pink, white and orange ontop  only of the base pink etc.