Author Topic: Gottlieb Genie Restoration  (Read 17063 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb Genie Restoration
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
Looks really good. Someone is going to very happy with that game , once it is done.

I know on the original Gottliebs they had a speckle over spray on the cabinet art. Have you ever tried to replicate it.

Some cabs have "webbing" - mostly EMs. This is done by not thinning out the paint and dropping the air pressure on the gun. Instant webbing.

"Splatter" - I think you are referring to, is the use of thick paint and a toothbrush, but I've used a different method described below ;

Looking very, very nice indeed.  Cab reprays are alot of work, but if done right with patience and thinking it through, the result is really satisfying and worth it.

The splatter effect - I think I have read it somewhere in the past that you use (if memory serves correctly) an old toothbrush dipped in black paint, and you use your finger and effectively run it through the brush so that it flicks the paint onto the cabinet.  Share what you can here Nino, I am very interested and elaborate as much as you can, as the next machine to get a respray will be my Gottlieb Buccaneer.

Also, as you do the splatter before the secondary colours are applied (which of course is correct order), do you have any issues with the black dots being noticeable in any way through the secondary colours?  Thanks.

I used to use a stiff toothbrush and no thinners. This was messy and I could not get it right. I did note that the "blobs" of paint on my test piece of wood did not look right. So I used my airgun, with the paint thinned 50/50 and dropped the air pressure right down and it produced the perfect splatter effect. The splatter was flat. I just moved the air gun in fast sweeps from left to right. The air pressure was enough to "throw" the paint off the tip. You need to clear the tip of the gun after each panel, or you might get a big splatter when you start the next panel. This process must be done after the base coat and BEFORE the secondary colors. In almost all cases, the secondary colors cover the splatter. I don't intentionally cover the splatter, I'm more interested in observing the amount of paint I'm using so that it is as thin as possible. You want the paint to be even in the least amount of paint.

This cabinet is easily the best I've done. Not as difficult as Fathom (NOTHING is as hard as that) and the colors on the Genie really "pop".
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia