Author Topic: Gottlieb Genie Restoration  (Read 17086 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb Genie Restoration
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2014, 07:10:09 PM »
So this is one of two LONG projects (the other is a High Hand) that I'm working on over the break. The bonus area on this game looked "ok", but the more I looked, the more I realized it is not good enough. So I thought of a plan to not repair the area, but to completely repaint the area - that way it does not look touched up and repaired. The first thing to do is scan the bonus area, and see if Gavin can make me a mask for the bonus numbering.

Then I use Frisket and carefully cut out the areas I want to paint. I've thinned the paint right down for an even coat. This photo is taken straight after I but the airbrush down and it is drying.

The paint was thin enough so I can see the outlines underneath, but thicker in the areas where the bonus numbering will be..

Mask applied.

Thin coats, just enough for the paint to cover the areas - a little bit of bleed on the "1000" that I will address later..

Very pleased !

So here is the initial "lock in clearcoat", and you can see the difference.

Here is the area, which I'm almost done with. The photo on the left is what I'm working off for the fine lines. I've repainted almost everything in this area ;

I'm VERY pleased I went down this road - even thought it was very "stop and start" - an in reality - it added almost 2 months to the restoration, but I think the the new owner would have preferred the area to look it's best, as this is the area you look at on the playfield the most. Maybe 8 hours of effort, but I'm very pleased.

So a few more black lines and some insert work and it will be sent off for the final clearcoat.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia