Author Topic: PCB design  (Read 6163 times)

Offline Zedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
PCB design
« on: March 10, 2014, 06:54:41 PM »
hey I'm.just about to get some. Hands on experience at work in PCB design using Altium and SMD soldering. With a bit of luck I will also get sent.to.formal.training on both before end.of.the year.

I need to start on.some.basic circuits and I get to choose the designs.

I'm looking for suggestions of what may be relatively easy to make.but may also.be of.use by others.

So what.do ya reckon?

Z

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: PCB design
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:09:31 PM »
what about a small board that could replace the standard globe / globe holder for under playfield inserts to have a rgb led on it with maybe 2 options of board design:
- 3 inputs for colours to be determined via programme for the custom builders (see attached screen shot of what Stern uses for their latest pins - which is about $15 each
- or a one power in to a small board with a rgb and then a test button and maybe a dip switch selector to choose your colour and set permanently (would have a clue if this is even possible but would be a cool way to change colours to your game - flick a dip switch and now have a new colour????
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »
meant to say that I would NOT have a clue about any of this but the idea sounds useful - electronics is not my thing

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Zedman

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:19:37 PM »
Hey Thanks.for the idea, it'll.give itmore thought tomorrow.

Z

what about a small board that could replace the standard globe / globe holder for under playfield inserts to have a rgb led on it with maybe 2 options of board design:
- 3 inputs for colours to be determined via programme for the custom builders (see attached screen shot of what Stern uses for their latest pins - which is about $15 each
- or a one power in to a small board with a rgb and then a test button and maybe a dip switch selector to choose your colour and set permanently (would have a clue if this is even possible but would be a cool way to change colours to your game - flick a dip switch and now have a new colour????

Marty Machine

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:18:23 AM »
hey I'm.just about to get some. Hands on experience at work in PCB design using Altium and SMD soldering. With a bit of luck I will also get sent.to.formal.training on both before end.of.the year.
I need to start on.some.basic circuits and I get to choose the designs.
I'm looking for suggestions of what may be relatively easy to make.but may also.be of.use by others.
So what.do ya reckon?
Z

Hopefully you get to play with Altium at work on a VERY regular basis, it can do anything, and only limited by your imagination.
There's about 10 ways to get the same end result, so don't always stick to the rules in design ;-)

My work back in the day sent me on training when it was known as Protel, i covered the Dos version (still a free download today from Altium), then upgraded to Protel95, Protel98.....then gave 'DXP' a miss coz it really sucked and almost collapsed the company, then the rebirth of Protel became Altium, and has had a billion improvements & features since the 95/98/dxp versions....

When you master the sheer basics of Altium you'll never leave it, and churning out simple pinball boards will only take minutes to generate and a whole bunch of intercative design & 3D models to confirm component placement is an absolute godsend.

Just a shame it's so damn EXPENSIVE, it kicks out the home user, except for the pirate copies ;-)

Offline Zedman

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:08:53 AM »
yeah I think there are some on this forum who would like the opportunity Im being given. Simple pinball related PCB design should be pretty easy. I think I can also get a take home license for practice in my own time.

Start training later today!

Z

Offline Zedman

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »
Hey Swinks, I've had a think about this one and it appears to be as good a place to start as any I've had.

I will let ya know as things progress. I think I will called it a Turncoat.

Z

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 02:43:01 PM »
where does the name come from

I will be interested in some for starters

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Zedman

• Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 04:15:46 PM »
Well wasn't that what they called soldiers that changed their appearance/ allegiance but turning their coats inside out? I figure it's a light that changes colour so turnout seems.fitting enough.
I've been waylaid but another blown.up power supply. When I get things sorted I can fix ya up. Z

Offline Zedman

• Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »
f**k I hate autotext. It might be a bit cryptic but hopefully you can.understand

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 06:23:08 PM »
cool, learned something new, bring on the turncoats

for pinball t-shirts