Author Topic: Forum Upgrade !  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Forum Upgrade !
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 09:38:34 PM »
How do you donate?
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »
How do you donate?

Just click the "Donations" tab, or just click this link - http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?action=treasury

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »
How do you donate?

Just click the "Donations" tab, or just click this link - http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?action=treasury

And I see you have found that already - thanks Mike!!  ^^^
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »
I left you guys a surprise, hope it helps things grow   (no, it's not fertilizer :lol :lol :lol :lol )

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 10:27:23 PM »
Well done Marty. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
The codeguard cloud backup will be purchased today and configured as soon as possible.

All historical threads and attachments will be retained. The response thus far has been amazing. Thanks to all that have donated. We are covered for the first 12 months easily. At this rate, we will be covered for 2 years  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »

Thanks guys, really overwhelmed by the generosity of members.

As mentioned earlier, the cloud back up is stage one of the full software upgrade, allowing us a back up so that as we do the update, we can restore from back up if things don't go as planned.

The funds will enable us to back up things exactly as they are, and all historical threads will remain - I am particularly pleased by this, but more importantly, this has saved Strageways a huge amount of clean up work, so a big thanks for that to all!  @@*

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »
At this rate, we will be covered for 2 years  ^^^

That's a relief. Pinball is once again starting to get interesting.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 01:30:08 PM »

The Code Guard cloud backup is now active discovering our databases and file structures. It will take 24 hours until we have a full initial backup.

Thanks to the suggestions and donations, the site will retain all the older posts and attachments. The first step to the Forum Software update is almost over.

To mirror Nick's comments - My life just became a whole lot easier !

My own comment is that our little corner of the internet is VERY important to many people, and it's history is worth retaining for current and future members.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »

My own comment is that our little corner of the internet is VERY important to many people, and it's history is worth retaining for current and future members.

The history is priceless. I regret not taking any photos of arcades back in the 70s. Once the moment is gone, accurate historic preservation is extremely important.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 03:49:09 PM »

Definitely, whilst a lot of the older posts may contain info that is now "common knowledge" for many older posters on the site or more experienced pin techs/restorers, I know for myself that searching thru and reading old topics is extremely valuable as someone relatively new to restorations and working on a pin in a more in-depth level.  Pics that go with those old posts obviously help tremendously too. 

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »

Definitely, whilst a lot of the older posts may contain info that is now "common knowledge" for many older posters on the site or more experienced pin techs/restorers, I know for myself that searching thru and reading old topics is extremely valuable as someone relatively new to restorations and working on a pin in a more in-depth level.  Pics that go with those old posts obviously help tremendously too. 

Spot on, I really am glad this is being preserved.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 04:23:05 PM »
Just as a helpful suggestion for those people who are looking for the older posts... the SEARCH function on the site is bloody awful. Makes digging up an old thread very very hard work.. could this at least be upgraded?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »
Just as a helpful suggestion for those people who are looking for the older posts... the SEARCH function on the site is bloody awful. Makes digging up an old thread very very hard work.. could this at least be upgraded?

We are on a software version circa 2008. A LOT of things don't work. The search function will work after a database maintenance, but they it quickly breaks again after a day or two. I have not even looked at the new features, but I'm sure it will be a whole lot better !

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 07:23:34 PM »
As they say, a picture tells a thousand words and in the world of pinrepair it is invaluable.  Great news that things will only get better.

I wouldn't mind a gentle reminder every year or whenever to send through a donation.  I didn't realise it had been so long since I had donated so I was more than happy to assist.  A request for a small donation to keep the forum top notch and up to date will never be an issue guys so if the forum needs a tweak just let us know, you have seen the sort of response you will get.
Addicted to pins.