Author Topic: Addams Family eject and flippers problem  (Read 1061 times)

Offline m0nsty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Addams Family eject and flippers problem
« on: December 24, 2017, 10:46:25 PM »

Hi all,

Please be gentle with a newbie @@^

I've recently acquired my first pinball.  It's an Addams Family, I've wanted one forever and I gave in and sold both kidneys for it (kidding).  Though I must say, it's been quite temperamental.
I've had a few minor repair issues that I've been able to resolve myself (I'm not real handy but I can spot and fix a worn solder joint, particularly with the help of forums).

Anyway it's been having recurring issues with the DMD - several times now the display goes from working fine, then it reduces to a bright horizontal line.  Advice has been to re-seat ribbon cable connectors which works, though it's only been with me a few months and I've had to do that 2-3 times.  While I'm in there, I typically re-seat all the ribbon cables.

Tonight, however, I have incorrectly re-seated the 34-pin ribbon cable onto J506, and only seated it on the right hand side, keeping the left 17 pins exposed.  When I turned it back on, I heard a knock come from the ball trough/eject area left of the plunger, and I noticed both bottom flippers flip up and down.  The bad news is that when I press Start now, the eject mechanism at the ball trough doesn't kick a ball out, and the flippers don't flip.  On the bright side, the DMD is working again!

[/size]So, I'm after some advice on what to do from here - I'm also more than happy if someone can recommend a Sydney-based repair person that does house visits.  I'm also after some helpful commentary (No doubt I'll get some flaming though I don't really think having a crack at minor repairs is anything to be ashamed of and anyway I find it quite fun).If it's helpful to note, when I lift the playfield and inspect around this eject area, I see a thin metal arm that seems to be swinging freely and it doesn't look right.  This may be a red herring (pic attached).Merry Christmas.Cheers,m0nstySydney, NSW

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Addams Family eject and flippers problem
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »
It sounds like when you put the ribbon cable back incorrectly it has locked coils on and blown a fuse. Check fuses on the power driver board and fliptronics board and I reckon once you replace the blown one you will be good to go.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 07:59:22 PM »

Yes, first check the fuses on the driver board, particularly fuses 112 and 101 to 105. If one or more is blown make sure to change it with the correct value. Don't worry, putting connectors back in the wrong place is probably more common than you think.. I've done it many times. I would think everybody has a story like this. If you don't try you will never learn!

As for the pictured wire, it is there to stop the balls bouncing back after the out hole kicker kicks the ball across to the trough. If it is not broken then it looks like it needs adjusting as it should stop on the notch in the trough wall to prevent bounce back. 

Also the ribbon cables are not designed to be continuously re-seated so you may find the problem gets worse. You should consider getting a new ribbon cable. Here is one supplier https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=52

Offline m0nsty

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »

Thanks for the quick replies Robm and DSB.

I'm so relieved that you both think a fuse or fuses are the problem and I should have thought to look at these myself first. I really appreciate the extra info and supplier link. I had honestly face palmed when this happened - something tech always goes wrong for me at the time of year when it's hardest to get parts or help!

I was real concerned that the re-seating of ribbon connectors is resolving the issue with the DMD. I will look to replace the cable connected to the DMD first and see how I go. Is this common?

I'll report back first opportunity I get in early Jan. Thanks again fellas and have a great new year.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:14:07 AM »

Thanks for the quick replies Robm and DSB.

I'm so relieved that you both think a fuse or fuses are the problem and I should have thought to look at these myself first. I really appreciate the extra info and supplier link. I had honestly face palmed when this happened - something tech always goes wrong for me at the time of year when it's hardest to get parts or help!

I was real concerned that the re-seating of ribbon connectors is resolving the issue with the DMD. I will look to replace the cable connected to the DMD first and see how I go. Is this common?

I'll report back first opportunity I get in early Jan. Thanks again fellas and have a great new year.

Cables failing is a common problem. Installing them does not create major issues, but as explained above, they do wear out over time and replacing them as a set is a good idea.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline m0nsty

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »

A quick trip to Jaycar and for $1.25 my TAF is back in order.
Fuse 112 was easily spotted as the root cause.

So happy - thanks folks and I hope I can return the favour some day.

m0nsty