Author Topic: 1980's cabinet paint  (Read 1542 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
1980's cabinet paint
« on: June 07, 2015, 12:22:57 PM »
I couldn't quickly find the answer to shat type of paint is used for cabinet stencil work. Is it acrylic and is it a gloss or stain? I want to possibly touch up my spacies head board. The front black has worn away in areas, so I'm not talking stencilling here, just a quick paint maybe out of a can??? Please advise the best way to freshen up without a full resto to achieve a good look or whether I should leave it and consider a full resto.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re: 1980's cabinet paint
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »
PG , I wouldn't use shat paint - it's not worth all the effort   %.% (hehe - sorry couldn't resist).
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Austwide

• Forum Posts:
  • Frankston
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 06:30:34 PM »
I think, once you paint some of it, the rest will stand out as bad and need painting. A bit like painting a room in a house.

I painted a cabinet using cans, if you just want a gloss black finish that is the easiest way. You may need to sand the whole front back to a constant finish (primer or wood or paint layer) before painting to get an even finish.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re:
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 06:43:49 PM »
Rob I suspect the original paints were enamel or acrylic. If you are going to repaint the entire black section probably can be done fairly easy but will make rest look tired...

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 07:11:38 PM »
I couldn't quickly find the answer to shat type of paint is used for cabinet stencil work. Is it acrylic and is it a gloss or stain? I want to possibly touch up my spacies head board. The front black has worn away in areas, so I'm not talking stencilling here, just a quick paint maybe out of a can??? Please advise the best way to freshen up without a full resto to achieve a good look or whether I should leave it and consider a full resto.

If you want to touch up the black use Satin auto acrylic from Sprints or Supacheap if you blend it in ok you will hardly be able to tell its been done

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 07:37:11 PM »
Just a couple of shots of where I am talking about. So the black is front on, but I do appreciate it may make the rest look strange. 

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »
That looks to be flat black. Most games can be matched with Satin black as mentioned. The White Knight brand are very good for this type of work - they are at bunnings.

If you like Rob - Just grab both my blacks next time you have lunch at 4:55 PM. You can try both and just use what matches best !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 10:41:12 PM »
Satin black is the go... if you want to make it near invisible ( you will see the edge of the new paint against the original) then rub the join of the new and old with some fine grade Wet and Dry ( use it wet).. doesn't take much to do but will blend the join line in

Offline greenechidna

• Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 05:57:51 AM »
While we are talking colour matching, are there standard Gottlieb cabinet colours for early 70s e/ms, specifically base coat white, red and black. Think High hand, Outer Space. Can you recommend something out of a can available locally? Is a satin finish what I'm looking for? Is the headbox neck the same colour as the cabinet?

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 11:27:25 AM »
Satin black is the go... if you want to make it near invisible ( you will see the edge of the new paint against the original) then rub the join of the new and old with some fine grade Wet and Dry ( use it wet).. doesn't take much to do but will blend the join line in
thanks Gav for the tip

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 11:39:29 AM »
While we are talking colour matching, are there standard Gottlieb cabinet colours for early 70s e/ms, specifically base coat white, red and black. Think High hand, Outer Space. Can you recommend something out of a can available locally? Is a satin finish what I'm looking for? Is the headbox neck the same colour as the cabinet?

Yes - The reds and blues are almost the same from game yo game - ie - Pro football red is exactly the same as High Hand.

Gottlieb did not use white as a base on most wedgeheads. A mistake made by many repainting jobs. They used a cream colour. Bally EMs used an off white. Late 4 player Gottliebs used off white.

I've never used a can - so it would be a case of taking a sample in with you and checking. But you need to know the finish will most likely not be the same. The cans have a "satin" finish which is close, but too glossy in my opinion. There's not a lot of difference between "satin" and "gloss". you can take a sample to a paint supplier and have them mix it and have the paint in a can ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »
Paint it white,then leave in a nicotine smoke filled room for 10 years then you will get that cream look  %$%
Seriously, I always  use Aqua Enamel - Dulux Antique white USA on all my repaints, but I only use a roller - It could be a little more creamier.
The blacks - semigloss enamel
pinballaustralia.com