Author Topic: Homepin now shipping LICENCED Hankin cocktail tables!!  (Read 49444 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Brilliant !

How many more do you thing will be built in the next year or two ?

We shipped out 5 containers this past 7 months so if that keeps up, probably 7 or 8 containers this coming year??? About another 250~280 -ish?

Obviously depends on demand but as "all things retro" seem to be in fashion, it's looking promising.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
So I have a question for the old hands:

How did it work with cocktail arcade tables back in the day (early 80s). Were there dedicated cocktail tables in Australia made by the developers of the actual games (Atari, Nintendo, etc.) or were all the cocktail tables here made by Australian manufacturers like Hankin? Would operators buy a local machine and then get the boards from overseas or did the tables come with a game already installed? What if an operator wanted to swap out a game? Were there restrictions about what tables could have which games installed in them? Were there cocktail tables where you could select and play more than one game?

Sorry, a lot of questions, but I didn't pay much attention when I was growing up as I only played pinball.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
So I have a question for the old hands:

How did it work with cocktail arcade tables back in the day (early 80s). Were there dedicated cocktail tables in Australia made by the developers of the actual games (Atari, Nintendo, etc.) or were all the cocktail tables here made by Australian manufacturers like Hankin? Would operators buy a local machine and then get the boards from overseas or did the tables come with a game already installed? What if an operator wanted to swap out a game? Were there restrictions about what tables could have which games installed in them? Were there cocktail tables where you could select and play more than one game?

Sorry, a lot of questions, but I didn't pay much attention when I was growing up as I only played pinball.

The places I worked for and indeed my own small runs all used dedicated tables and uprights of one type or another. There were no such thing as multi boards. There were many manufacturers back in the day and during the peak rush many machines were air freighted direct from japan mainly in the thousands (mainly genuine Taito Space Invader uprights). The airfreight costs were recovered in just a few weeks. I even air freighted a "Choplifter" directly, stupidly declining the sellers offer of this new game "Pacman"  ^&^

One place I worked for in Brisbane built their own tables and used very high quality Sanwa monitors. They were a very nicely put together "no-name" table and I was pretty happy being involved in the construction of them in the heyday.

When you rotated games from site to site usually you would change the machine for a new one. Later, when things settled a bit it became easier to swap boards because they all changed over to JAMMA edge connectors.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
My first experience was the unloading of a container of video games - mainly second hand. Car games like "Wheels", "Demolition Derby" and these huge boxes.. I had no interest in the boxes, but I could not wait to play the car games. The boxes were some of the first "Space Invaders" uprights. They were the only original "Space Invaders" I ever saw - both the blue and red cabinets. Then the cocktail tables took off - but I never saw an original cocktail table with the exception of Atari Asteroids. But the Taiwanese cocktail tables were container after container. There where white tables, brown tables, woodgrail tables - all with bootleg Space Invaders. They all had strange names and were written in Japanese with Yen coin acceptors. Not one original table - all copies. I'd say we had well over 200 tables. The last tables were color CRTs. I still have two of these. I have an original shipping box of one of these tables.

Boards - very rarely originals. They were bootlegs from Taiwan or later, Korea. My Dad actually visited one of these factories. They were churning out Galaga and Donkey Kong faster than burgers at Mc Donalds. The old cocktail tables were replaced with colour CRTs and then rewired for the non jamma games. Eventually, some would be converted to video poker game (MA1). Lots of stories to tell with those machines !

I still have an original box, from the Atari Factory. It had several PCBs. I' should check out the label as it probably had the list of games on it.

It was really rare to have original boards in games in the early 80's, but I sold a crapload of bootleg boards on eBay a couple of years ago and even sold an original Space Invaders board for over $300 to a guy in Brazil !

Upright cabinets - rare to see originals. Dad and I reverse engineered an old Atari Breakout cabinet and scratch built 30 cabinets on the mini production line in his workshop. I did not do very well at school during these years (1984-86). But I had a lot of fun !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
Thanks for the info.

So sounds like a lot of the early cocktail tables we had in Australia were from Japan, running space invader copies, galaga etc. When did the Hankins start appearing and what games were they running?

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
A Hankin cocktail table is now located at the Surfers Paradise Timezone for anybody that is interested. I went there to play pinball but ended playing 5 games of Galaga instead. First one I've seen and looks to be a well made machine. Well done Mike!

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Congrats Homepin - you sure have yr fingers in a lot of pies - & seem to be kicking goals! I have to ask - why is the guy in the container wearing a mask?
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Congrats Homepin - you sure have yr fingers in a lot of pies - & seem to be kicking goals! I have to ask - why is the guy in the container wearing a mask?

It's an "Asian thing" - a lot of them do on cold days and also so they don't breathe in germs - some of them are a bit "precious"....... :lol

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay

It's an "Asian thing" - a lot of them do on cold days and also so they don't breathe in germs - some of them are a bit "precious"....... :lol
if I was like that there, I'd wear to full ebola kit seen in movies like out break which is just as ridiculous
Still loving my Metallica Premium